XboneX HDD replacement problem

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
So, I replaced the factory 1TB HDD in my Gears 5 LE Xbox One X with a 2TB 860 EVO SSD.

Tried to clone the old drive to the new SSD and while my laptop seemed to think it was all ok it wasn't and behaved as if there was nothing on the SSD when I installed it. Used the reinstall OS off a USB drive option and started to reinstall my games.

But during bootup the boot sequence animation & audio is gone. It's just a black screen until it's all booted up.

All of the HDD replacement vids I've watched so far have all had the boot sequence animation still be there after a fresh SSD/SSHD/HDD replacement. So wondering wat went wrong on my SSD install?...

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I'm also noticing that even though I have it set to "energy saving" and not "instant on" in the power settings it's only been powering down to the instant on mode and not the energy saving mode I have it set to.

Other than the boot sequence animatics being missing and it not going into the shut down mode I set it to it seems to run perfectly fine otherwise.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Tried a fresh install and it still behaved the same. Guess I'll try drive cloning again with different configurations as I still don't know wtf isn't working out right.

Surprised none of y'all have anything to say on this. I know the Xbone ain't the popular console of this gen, but damn son

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I tried duping the drive using SATA to USB cables and a software drive duplicator. That said it worked but it didn't. There are different settings to use so I'm going to give it a go again with different settings and see if that works. I think my problem with the one time I tried to clone the drive was that I was cloning a 1TB drive to a 2TB drive and with the way an Xbox partitions the drive something didn't quite work out right with the size conversions.

Is that just a stand alone duplicator RAZO? Not tried one of those if that's what it is.

I didn't want to run an external drive on this console. Just wanted a nice 2TB SSD as the internal drive. Not as easy as an external, sure. But it can be done and I'd rather do it that way. Just not sure why I'm getting the problems I am is all and not knowing quite where to look for answers. Kinda figured with all of the tech knowledge around here that someone would know...

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Just in case anyone else ever has this issue, here's the solution...

The offline OSU1 update file from Microsoft is missing the bootanim.dat file needed for the boot sequence animatics. Apparently the file was originally stored on the flash memory on the console but later moved to the HDD. But the bootanim.dat file was never added to the OSU1 offline update file that's used to reinstall the OS on an Xbox drive.

So, you can fix it in one of three ways from what I've been able to discern.

1) Copy the bootanim.dat file from your old HDD to the new HDD/SSD/SSHD

2) Wait until a new OS update is released and update the console. The update will have the bootanim.dat file.

3) Join the Xbox Insider program and update the console's dashboard to the Preview version to force a newer update that installs the bootanim.dat file to your new HDD. You can then opt out of the Insider program after updating the console if you don't want the console enrolled into the beta program.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I tried duping the drive using SATA to USB cables and a software drive duplicator. That said it worked but it didn't. There are different settings to use so I'm going to give it a go again with different settings and see if that works. I think my problem with the one time I tried to clone the drive was that I was cloning a 1TB drive to a 2TB drive and with the way an Xbox partitions the drive something didn't quite work out right with the size conversions.

Is that just a stand alone duplicator RAZO? Not tried one of those if that's what it is.

I didn't want to run an external drive on this console. Just wanted a nice 2TB SSD as the internal drive. Not as easy as an external, sure. But it can be done and I'd rather do it that way. Just not sure why I'm getting the problems I am is all and not knowing quite where to look for answers. Kinda figured with all of the tech knowledge around here that someone would know...

It duplicates the hard drive 1:1 but if you are upgrading to a bigger drive you might run into issues. I use it everytime I'm swapping out a old pc drive with a bigger new one. I need to still goto disk utility to extend the drive so windows sees the extra storage.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
It duplicates the hard drive 1:1 but if you are upgrading to a bigger drive you might run into issues. I use it everytime I'm swapping out a old pc drive with a bigger new one. I need to still goto disk utility to extend the drive so windows sees the extra storage.

Ok, yeah that'd be an issue then to upgrade an Xbone drive to a larger one as it's got multiple partitions. Thanks for the suggestion though. I did order one to try out but figured out the fix before it showed up so will just return it.