Yet Another CDX Help - OSSC/ Retrotink

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Have a CDX, a retrotink scart, and an OSSC.

I’ve tried the retrotink and the OSSC with the CDX.

Certain games like Power Instinct and Pat Riley Basketball refresh on the everdrive cart when the animation changes (Pat Riley is a fun one you can’t dunk as the screen goes black.). Is this a hardware issue, scart, or an upscale converter issue? Never had a problem on a crt with one of those cheap scart/component converter but not working on my Samsung HDTV. I’ve tested the OSSC with an RGB modded N64, a PS1 mini, and an Xbox and haven’t had this issue. Thinking it’s the scart cable but not sure if anyone experiences this as well before I buy another cable or if anyone has any tips. I’ve searched the issue and made changes on the OSSC config settings that were suggested but still have the same issue.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Resolution changes aren't friendly with the OSSC. That's the biggest reason I play my PS1 games on my PS3, so the resolution changes in pause menus are handled better.

It could also be the Samsung having less tolerance for resolution changes via HDMI.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Thanks guys, I haven’t messed with it since I posted this, but would the OSSC show the change on its screen? What I get is a red light while the screen is dark, no resolution change report on the OSSC itself.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
If you want an easy test put in Sonic 2.

Let the attract mode go where tails is racing sonic in 2player and it will be 480i. When it goes back to the main screen it will be 240p. Does it lose sync there?

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Thanks I’m sure that’s what it is, I’ll try to play with it tonight. I was busy with some other projects I had to fix the Samsung remote, I got a retrotink scart to comp for my trinitron, and I got in an F3 with Elevator Action Returns I was having issues with but got everything going now. I actually tried the genesis out on the scart to comp and had no problem with the issues I’ve listed.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Sounds good. keep in mind Taito F3 has weird sync. If you do some googling you can see why.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
If you want an easy test put in Sonic 2.

Let the attract mode go where tails is racing sonic in 2player and it will be 480i. When it goes back to the main screen it will be 240p. Does it lose sync there?

Sure did just got a black screen until the Sega logo came back, no sound or anything actually and then my Tv lost it’s sync

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
No real solution to this other than dealing with it, emulating trouble games, or playing on a CRT. PS1Digital for example will have a work around for this apparently with a frame buffer. With that in mind it is on a console by console basis.

Only other way around it is to interpret 240p as 480i so you never resolution change. This has the side effect of of adding input lag and transparencies not working correctly.

Retrotink is pretty fast on resolution switching. Not many thing will be faster iirc.

One of many reasons analog displays are the shit.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Thanks again for your help. I kind of figured that would be the case after doing some more research reading some other forums, especially when I was getting the same result with the OSSC and the Retrotink Scart. It’s not like I’m going out of my way to play Pat Riley Basketball but I did notice this on some fighters and shooters that really put you at a disadvantage immediately.

I can emulate and relegate the CDX to the Trinitron, I still have that and a PVM so I’m fine in the interim, does the Mega SG experience the same thing? Not thinking that’s the case maybe that’s an excuse to get one in the future, thinking of getting a Retro AVS because I don’t have a good video option for the NES, so I may go down the FPGA rabbit hole anyway.

As far as the F3, I keep the super gun on the CRT anyway and rotate the consoles but I’ll look into that as well, thanks for the tip.

As far as PS1 I didn’t have an issue with the retrotink scart, but I have the PS3 option as well

Last edited: