Is the NEO•GEO underrated for shoot-em-ups?

Raguy

New Challenger
In front of 16 bits console, i think that neo geo has better horizontal shmup.
For vertical shmup, pc engine coregrafx + cd has better vertical shmup.
Saturn and arcade have better shmup for sure.
But neo geo deserves his good reputation, games as last resort, viewpoint, pulstar, blazing star and twinkle star sprite have had a lot of recognitions.
So no, neo geo shmup are not underrated.
But aso 2 is an underrated shmup while it's an hidden gem. Certainly, the first great neo geo shmup just before last resort release.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Do you collect AES or MVS?

Both sonic wings games are actually so far my favorite NEO•GEO games of all time. I cant pick which one is better!

I think a cool project idea would be to make a dedicated Aero Fighters 2&3 western style cab... basically a neo geo cabinet with a two slot board, and the side art and marquee would be artwork from both games... 2 artwork on the left side and 3 artwork on the right side.. would be a sick arcade machine.. give the control panel only two buttons for each player since that’s all it uses :P

I collect AES but I’m planing on getting a mvs converter so I can own a legit strikers 1945 and prehistoric isle 2...A aero fighters 2 & 3 cab would be pretty sweet!

Hopefully there will be more NGDev team made shoot em ups in the future.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I collect AES but I’m planing on getting a mvs converter so I can own a legit strikers 1945 and prehistoric isle 2...A aero fighters 2 & 3 cab would be pretty sweet!

I just recently bought a legit Strikers MVS from a mexican seller. should be arriving In the mail today!

My KOF and samurai shodown and fatal fury games are all on AES. But when it comes to shmups, i prefer them to be in MVS format. So far i have both Sonic Wings games on MVS, legit. Though i do have a few AES bootlegs like Twinkle Star and Ironclad.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

I have only had experience with the japangameonline converter but I imagine they're all like it except maybe a Daedalus or legit Fusion. I have had so much fucking trouble just getting the damn thing to boot and even when I do there's no sound half of the time. Not worth it unless you get it for free.

I have only had experience with the japangameonline converter but I imagine they're all like it except maybe a Daedalus or legit Fusion. I have had so much fucking trouble just getting the damn thing to boot and even when I do there's no sound half of the time. Not worth it unless you get it for free.

Daedalus works great. 1st time every time. A little pricey but you might as well do it right. Trick is to roll up an old sock and insert it under the mvs cart

tangemo

New Challenger

Agreed, I've had a similar experience withe the japangameonline converter. Seems like I could only get everything seated properly less than half the time. Mostly blue screens :annoyed: Ended up getting a Furrtek Fusion and that's been awesome, no death grip or any nonsense.

Regarding the Neo Geo shmups, even looking at them through the shmup genre lens I think most of them stand up well for their time. The Psykio games, Blazing Star, Ironclad, Prehistoric Isle 2 are all worth playing/collecting on MVS IMO. I appreciate the quality of Pulstar and Last Resort but the difficulty is a turn off for me.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Why does everyone say Last Resort is so hard? It's really not, I had a 1cc within a week and a 2-all within two weeks. Cmon, I'm not even that good at shooties.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Why does everyone say Last Resort is so hard? It's really not, I had a 1cc within a week and a 2-all within two weeks. Cmon, I'm not even that good at shooties.

I think most of us are just shit.

Agreed, I've had a similar experience withe the japangameonline converter. Seems like I could only get everything seated properly less than half the time. Mostly blue screens :annoyed: Ended up getting a Furrtek Fusion and that's been awesome, no death grip or any nonsense.

I tried cleaning the edge connector and slot on the converter and the console slot itself with proper contact cleaners, erasers, ISO you name it. Tried re-seating the converter and MVS cartridge a hundred different ways doesn't matter it's about a 30% success rate. The converter pins match up with the AES cart slot no matter how it's inserted, I don't get it. AES carts work 100% of the time...

Probably due to the shitty materials used for the contacts or something because it's supposed to be a functional clone of the Fusion.

Last edited:

Shmuppy

Banned
Random question: how did Strikers 1945 Plus end up at 684 MEGA POWER?!? where are all those megs going??? It’s way bigger than either pulstar or blazing star, yet it looks not much more advanced Than the sonic wings games! The explosions are crazy smooth though... maybe the coolest explosions i have ever seen in a 2D game :)

Is strikers the highest meg shmup on the neo?

I think it is the FMV intro that eats up a lot of ROM. But on the other hand 300+MBit Pulstar/Blazing have incredible animated enemies/bosses all the time that 1945 lacks except the gorgeous explosions.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I think it is the FMV intro that eats up a lot of ROM. But on the other hand 300+MBit Pulstar/Blazing have incredible animated enemies/bosses all the time that 1945 lacks except the gorgeous explosions.

I wouldnt think the FMV would take that much room but maybe it does... i would be curious to know exactly how much of the rom is taken up by FMV and how much is explosions..

Pulstar has FMV too doesnt it?

Shmuppy

Banned
I wouldnt think the FMV would take that much room but maybe it does... i would be curious to know exactly how much of the rom is taken up by FMV and how much is explosions..

Pulstar has FMV too doesnt it?

Pulstar has only a very short FMV sequence at the end of the intro like the ship and logo. It's really strange that 1945 has so many MBits. I mean you can nearly fit Pulstar and Blazing into this cart. Since the Neo has no FMV compression this intro could eat up a lot of unique animated sprites/stripes. SNK was known for using the ROM space in a very lush way, maybe to push the "Mega Shock" on the carts?

Edit: Really really strange, just fired it up in Mame and there is nothing special about the graphics (especially animations) or the music. Twin Eagle 1 from '88 has at least the same explosion quality and had (IMO) the better (or at least cleaner) digitised BG graphics. On top even if only two music tracks, they are completely digitised and maybe streamed as a whole(?) and everything is only 2.36MByte/20MBit big in (Mame) ROM size. Just look at this @11:30: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVGW4N8zhM8

Last edited:

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Pulstar has only a very short FMV sequence at the end of the intro like the ship and logo. It's really strange that 1945 has so many MBits. I mean you can nearly fit Pulstar and Blazing into this cart. Since the Neo has no FMV compression this intro could eat up a lot of unique animated sprites/stripes. SNK was known for using the ROM space in a very lush way, maybe to push the "Mega Shock" on the carts?

Edit: Really really strange, just fired it up in Mame and there is nothing special about the graphics (especially animations) or the music. Twin Eagle 1 from '88 has at least the same explosion quality and had (IMO) the better (or at least cleaner) digitised BG graphics. On top even if only two music tracks, they are completely digitised and maybe streamed as a whole(?) and everything is only 2.36MByte/20MBit big in (Mame) ROM size. Just look at this @11:30: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVGW4N8zhM8

Would less than 10 seconds of FMV really be that big? It just seems like overkill to me.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think we can conclude that the Neo Geo is appropriately rated for Shoot em ups.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
I've never been a big fan of the shooters on the Neo. I love some of the run and guns, but the shooters always bored me.

Shmuppy

Banned
I'm a big fan of the older Cave stuff

Ahh, with Cave you can never go wrong. I love them all. It's hard for me to decide which is my fav. Especially the X360 releases with many even unique versions. I would give Pulstar a second chance, it's really awesome;) Or Crimzon Clover World Ignition (if you don't know it) on Steam. It's from a Japanese guy and a really well designed vertical Danmaku. This game is on par with Cave stuff, in every aspect.

Last edited:

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Last Resort may be the best the system has to me. Definitely up there in classic shooters overall but I agree the Saturn poops on most anything.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Does "competitive shooting" counts? If so, ADK masterpiece is still pretty unique and brilliant as it was on its day1. :-)

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Last Resort may be the best the system has to me. Definitely up there in classic shooters overall but I agree the Saturn poops on most anything.

If only Saturn had Sonic Wings 3 and Strikers 1945 Plus. Plus i think is better than either of the strikers games on saturn and Sonic Wings 3 is far better than Sonic Wings Special on Saturn...

If the NEO•GEO had battle garegga... i would never stop having a boner. Ever.

I wish radiant silvergun was more fun to actually play...

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I've never been a big fan of the shooters on the Neo. I love some of the run and guns, but the shooters always bored me.

This is my exact opinion as well. Metal Slug and Cyber Lip are good, but nothing about the Sanic Wings, Strikers, Last Resort, Blazing Star or Pulstar games draws me in.