Is the NEO•GEO underrated for shoot-em-ups?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
This is my exact opinion as well. Metal Slug and Cyber Lip are good, but nothing about the Sanic Wings, Strikers, Last Resort, Blazing Star or Pulstar games draws me in.
Cyber Lip is good?

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Cyber Lip is good?

CyberLip is about as good as a decent Neo-Geo beat-em-up. Generally, they are fine games but when compared to the games that inspired them, they fall short. That said, it also isn't a "bad" game and the difficulty is actually pretty balanced for an early Neo arcade release - especially a run-n-gun.

It moves at a brisk pace, has lush graphics, tons of hilarious voice samples, and I enjoy the setting and "early Neo" feel it has. There are two things that hold the mechanics back - the inability to shoot down while jumping, and being able to aim and shoot up while walking. Because it's a Contra clone it's impossible not to compare it to Contra 1 and Super Contra, but it would be unfair to compare it to Metal Slug. Once you wrap your head around "it's not Contra", then you'll have a good time with it. A worthy part of the early Neo library, for sure!