MVS X Multi Video System

I agree with you. The ACA re-releases should scratch that itch for most, but then again, Arcade1Up had a lot of success (especially recently) so perhaps that well hasn't dried up just yet?

Either way, this stuff isn't to the liking of most members here, but I'm sure these licensed products help fund their larger projects overall:
King of Fighters XIV
Samurai Shodown (2019)
King of Fighters XV
etc

The master plan is to make Neo Geo titles available on every platform and form factor imaginable :lolz::vik:

I get you, so many people can play their games as possible. But I guess, most people have access to their games on their current consoles. Hardcore fans will play their games on Home or Arcade counterpart. I feel like only hardcore fans buy their stuff. Dont get me wrong, I am a fan myself, usually play the games on my home system, but feel like Raspberry pi does the job.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
ACA Magician Lord is what pushed me to finally buy an actual Neo-Geo system (CD, I know, but baby steps...).

It's funny how they're well regarded for not fucking up emulation like almost every other romzorz rereleasers. Very low bar to clear yet only Hamster does it.

Whats up Burning Fight, that's very interesting that the ACA release acted as a gateway drug to retro hardware in your case. I assumed that most were happy with the digital versions on console/pc (and perhaps the LRG ps4 releases of select titles). I know the polymega has renewed interest in the neo cd format, but it's interesting to hear that the ACA releases are inspiring others to jump in too.

Since SNK is rereleasing NGPC titles, I wonder how many would be interested in a Neo Geo Pocket Color mini-console-style device (hdmi out, etc). Emulation has been available for all of this stuff for decades, yet the games still captivate a lot of gamers to own hardware.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I’m getting this thing and you guys can’t stop me!!!!!

But seriously, it’s not just about the price. Maybe you can find a big red for $500 but I casually search on Craigslist and I have yet to come across one.

But regardless, I have no means of transporting one and if I paid someone to do it that would add to the cost. And what about restoration, fuck ain’t got time for that shit.

Then there is the technical aspect if something goes wrong...

What I like about the MVSX and Arcade1up cabs is that they have such a low barrier to entry. Yeah these are not the ideal solutions for someone wanting to 1cc Pulstar, but they are great for a guy like me who plays maybe a little every week with his kids.

I know I lost all my street cred by buying stuff like this but I know ya’ll still love me.

Last edited:
I’m getting this thing and you guys can’t stop me!!!!!

But seriously, it’s not just about the price. Maybe you can find a big red for $500 but I casually search on Craigslist and I have yet to come across one.

But regardless, I have no means of transporting one and if I paid someone to do it that would add to the cost. And what about restoration, fuck ain’t got time for that shit.

Then there is the technical aspect if something goes wrong...

What I like about the MVSX and Arcade1up cabs is that they have such a low barrier to entry. Yeah these are not the ideal solutions for someone wanting to 1cc Pulstar, but they are great for a guy like me who plays maybe a little every week with his kids.

I know I lost all my street cred by buying stuff like this but I know ya’ll still love me.

For £382 I can buy my forth home console with one or two games. Thats no brainer man. Or 2 - 3 games. Thats a better choice man.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
For £382 I can buy my forth home console with one or two games. Thats no brainer man. Or 2 - 3 games. Thats a better choice man.

I already have an AES and about 25 games :vik:

But regardless, the feeling of playing on a cab is much different than a home console, especially in this day and age. My kids love playing our TMNT ARCADE1up with me and the experience is very different than on an SNES or Pi. Was it a lot of money for a fake cab? Maybe, but it depends on your perspective. Cost me like 3 trips to The Cheesecake Factory...

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member

But regardless, the feeling of playing on a cab is much different than a home console, especially in this day and age. My kids love playing our TMNT ARCADE1up with me and the experience is very different than on an SNES or Pi. Was it a lot of money for a fake cab? Maybe, but it depends on your perspective. Cost me like 3 trips to The Cheesecake Factory...

A paycheck, and perhaps even a life, measured in trips to The Cheesecake Factory. Interesting. I must meditate on this.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member

What's fake about them? They're 3/4 scale cabs made for the home, period. No one thinks these are arcade cabs that I know of. And TMNT was like $400, that's a lot of cheesecake...

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Looks like an interesting cab, I hope the Vol 1 pack listed on the website means that there will be a Vol. 2 and so on...

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Looks like an interesting cab, I hope the Vol 1 pack listed on the website means that there will be a Vol. 2 and so on...

Vol 1 pack, I must have missed that, do you know where on the site that's posted? That would be an interesting selling point, if new games can be added down the line or unlocked.

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Vol 1 pack, I must have missed that, do you know where on the site that's posted? That would be an interesting selling point, if new games can be added down the line or unlocked.

On the games tab from the MVSX website about half way down it labeled as "Classic Collection V.1"

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
to be fair: it's not completely pure shit.

Looks like complete shit to me. Can you even go into the bios and change the game settings? Their video showed Metal Slug 1 being played with white blood. Not a good sign.

It's like these cock suckers don't even care. How the fuck can you put together a product like this and not set sensible bios options as the default? Amazing.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Looks like complete shit to me. Can you even go into the bios and change the game settings? Their video showed Metal Slug 1 being played with white blood. Not a good sign.

It's like these cock suckers don't even care. How the fuck can you put together a product like this and not set sensible bios options as the default? Amazing.

The same people who don't care that it has a 6-button layout in a 1/16" thick chipboard cabinet with aliexpress buttons/sticks/LCD that's 2' tall also won't care that you're playing the worst version of the games. This thing is hot garbage and for the price you can get a real MVS cabinet if you have a modicum of patience.

bulbousbeard

The same people who don't care that it has a 6-button layout in a 1/16" thick chipboard cabinet with aliexpress buttons/sticks/LCD that's 2' tall also won't care that you're playing the worst version of the games. This thing is hot garbage and for the price you can get a real MVS cabinet if you have a modicum of patience.

You can make an intellectual argument for 6 buttons, though. Once you hack the machine, you can just run any emulator on it and play CPS games, etc. I actually think the button layout is a good thing for that reason. Why wouldn't you want to be able to play 6 button Capcom fighters on this thing?

There is no argument for not setting sensible default game options, though.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
You can make an intellectual argument for 6 buttons, though. Once you hack the machine, you can just run any emulator on it and play CPS games, etc. I actually think the button layout is a good thing for that reason. Why wouldn't you want to be able to play 6 button Capcom fighters on this thing?

There is no argument for not setting sensible default game options, though.

Seems like it's plastered with "NEO GEO" all over it and not "CAPCOM". If they wanted to build a Capcom cabinet they got the wrong license. The aftermarket should never be the justification for a product. If it is, it's clearly flawed in concept.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Seems like it's plastered with "NEO GEO" all over it and not "CAPCOM". If they wanted to build a Capcom cabinet they got the wrong license. The aftermarket should never be the justification for a product. If it is, it's clearly flawed in concept.

Sup Dr. Meat, I don’t think it’s to cater to modders/the aftermarket. In this case, it’s probably just to give casuals the option to customize their configs:

JA-MVS-S_v1-1_Layouts_480x480.png

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Sup Dr. Meat, I don’t think it’s to cater to modders/the aftermarket. In this case, it’s probably just to give casuals the option to customize their configs:

JA-MVS-S_v1-1_Layouts_480x480.png

My guess is that they couldn't fit a 4-button wide layout on their 16" wide control panel. The whole thing just reeks of half-ass-ed-ness.

bulbousbeard

You always have to factor in the overall capabilities of a product when judging its value. Intention doesn't matter.

There are legitimate benefits to having 6 buttons on it. Other than that, you could setup Samurai Shodown 2 to be a 6 button game so you don't have to press A+B and C+D to do hard attacks, for example.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I agree. Six buttons is stupid. Letting people "configure" a fucking ARCADE MACHINE is also stupid. Half the benefit of owning arcade stuff is that you plug the machine into an outlet and set the DIPs once, configuration for all players is past present and future is complete and Playstation kids who are used to weird layouts can just get used to it and not waste your time resetting over and over because they can't remember how they like it...and then once they lose the next guy has to do it again...fuck that crap.

This however leaves aside that it apes the crappy US machine, with its dumb bat handle sticks and concave buttons. This is the machine I spent $$$ to not have to play...and with useless extra buttons.