MVS X Multi Video System

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Don't do it. Just buy a bartop with a variable refresh monitor if that's what you're doing to do.

You realize that with this piece of shit, you won't even get smooth scrolling, because the Neo Geo runs at 59.1hz, and the shitty low res LCD they put in this will be locked at 60hz? If you're not going to get a variable refresh monitor or connect the computer to a CRT, don't even bother with emulation.

Do I realize the importance of variable refresher rates?

DO I REALIZE???!!!

OF COURSE I REALIZE THE IMPORTANCE OF 59.1HZ VS. 60HZ BECAUSE I AM A 41 YEAR OLD LOSER IDIOT RETARD WHO HAS NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN OBSESS OVER VERY IMPORTANT THINGS LIKE THIS BECAUSE IT IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE THAT A GIANT NOVELTY TOY HAS PROPER SCROLLING SO THAT MY NON-EXISTENT FRIENDS WON’T NOTICE UN-SMOOTH SCROLLING IN DECADES OLD VIDEO GAMES IF ANY OF THEM ARE EVER BRAVE ENOUGH TO COME INTO MY HOME!!!

PFFT...DO I REALIZE? WHAT A DUMBASS QUESTION!

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Having said all that I hope the sticks are clicky...

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Do I realize the importance of variable refresher rates?

DO I REALIZE???!!!

OF COURSE I REALIZE THE IMPORTANCE OF 59.1HZ VS. 60HZ BECAUSE I AM A 41 YEAR OLD LOSER IDIOT RETARD WHO HAS NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN OBSESS OVER VERY IMPORTANT THINGS LIKE THIS BECAUSE IT IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE THAT A GIANT NOVELTY TOY HAS PROPER SCROLLING SO THAT MY NON-EXISTENT FRIENDS WON’T NOTICE UN-SMOOTH SCROLLING IN DECADES OLD VIDEO GAMES IF ANY OF THEM ARE EVER BRAVE ENOUGH TO COME INTO MY HOME!!!

PFFT...DO I REALIZE? WHAT A DUMBASS QUESTION!

Word

60 has the extra .9hz.

60 wins.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
For those interested, it’s interesting to see former SNK vets rumored to be involved in this project:

“Some of the principal people behind this have been involved either with SNK or other aspects of the arcade business for many years. One of those, the North American representative, is Paul Jacobs, who was the head of SNK USA back in the early ’90s (he has an extensive resumé in our industry – worked for Exidy, Data East, various distributors and most recently has been working for Gold Standard Games). He was responsible for launching the MVS in North America back then, so knows it pretty well. Ben Herman, who took over SNK USA from Paul around 1995, is also involved with the MVSX project. These units are also being built by Fun Company, who has extensive experience in creating game cabinets for the amusement and other related industries.”

The MVSX website mentions Gstone/Unico; this is the first I’ve seen Fun Company/Funco Amusements mentioned in the discussion of this unit.

Source: https://arcadeheroes.com/2020/08/14/home-arcade-updates-neo-geo-mvsx-legends-ultimate-arcade-1up/

https://www.funcoamusements.com/product-category/arcade-cabinets/

Last edited:

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Don't do it. Just buy a bartop with a variable refresh monitor if that's what you're doing to do.

You realize that with this piece of shit, you won't even get smooth scrolling, because the Neo Geo runs at 59.1hz, and the shitty low res LCD they put in this will be locked at 60hz? If you're not going to get a variable refresh monitor or connect the computer to a CRT, don't even bother with emulation.

Proper filtering and remove flickering on uneven scaling. Its not the biggest deal.

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
For those interested, it’s interesting to see former SNK vets rumored to be involved in this project:

“Some of the principal people behind this have been involved either with SNK or other aspects of the arcade business for many years. One of those, the North American representative, is Paul Jacobs, who was the head of SNK USA back in the early ’90s (he has an extensive resumé in our industry – worked for Exidy, Data East, various distributors and most recently has been working for Gold Standard Games). He was responsible for launching the MVS in North America back then, so knows it pretty well. Ben Herman, who took over SNK USA from Paul around 1995, is also involved with the MVSX project. These units are also being built by Fun Company, who has extensive experience in creating game cabinets for the amusement and other related industries.”

The MVSX website mentions Gstone/Unico; this is the first I’ve seen Fun Company/Funco Amusements mentioned in the discussion of this unit.

Source: https://arcadeheroes.com/2020/08/14/home-arcade-updates-neo-geo-mvsx-legends-ultimate-arcade-1up/

https://www.funcoamusements.com/product-category/arcade-cabinets/

That’s really cool to see. I hope it is a successful product for them.

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
Interesting news and for the better, cool to hear. Also after looking at their website a bit more, I kinda wonder about the Terry and Iori figures they plan to include and how they'll look and their quality and seeing how some games are part of a collection titled "CLASSIC COLLECTION V.1" , it seems like more games might be planned to be added in the future.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Proper filtering and remove flickering on uneven scaling. Its not the biggest deal.

They're not going to do that because it's just a lazy cash grab. No effort will go into it. It'll just use an off the shelf emulator and hitch.

That’s really cool to see. I hope it is a successful product for them.

Oh great, the retards who approved censoring $200 AES carts are in charge.

ONLY GOOD THINGS CAN HAPPEN

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member

Ya’ll know you want this!

neo_mao

15 Year Member
To be honest, I kind of prefer it as a bar top...not sure I want the stand.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

Ya’ll know you want this!

That’s odd; why is King of Fighters 98’s “Ultimate Match” version on the 3rd marquee card of that thing? :scratch:

B275E820-36D0-4C48-9E56-38E69E7F3E12.jpeg

51VJT5nFfiL._SY445_.jpg

I’d chalk it up to a photoshop/render image mistake...but the same marquee card is present in that live video clip too.

Last edited:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I guess that was the first image that popped up when they looked for some KOF 98 art... This project doesn't seem to value historical accuracy anyway, I think it's geared towards a very casual audience (the guys that say "I don't have space for a real arcade cab", and then they buy four, five Arcade1Up cabinets 'cause they look cool in their bedroom), not the diehard fans.

Last edited:

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
It's even more impractical as mini tbh - at least with that you could have video out to decent screen and plug in normal sized controllers and mini console it... Good luck snuggling up to someone else as you both peer into this tiny screen and hold hands trying to play on 2 sets of controls within the space of a laptop...

...On the other hand if you wanted something bigger than a shelf sized mini to fill some spare table+wall space - you're in luck!

They should have done something with a 32" screen and hid the edges in the bezel imho... maybe next years version :P

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Or the type who don't have the money to buy a real one

It costs the same as a typical American JAMMA cab or Big Red here in the USA. Saving money over a real cab really isn’t a valid point when it comes to this.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
www.neogeoarcade.com

rest assured that MVSX will pop up at that site. Interestingly enough, they currently carry a 2-player arcade stick with 40 built-in neogeo titles with UNICO branding. I'm guessing the guts of that stick will be the guts of the MVSX and the details are in there.

Check out their "about us" section - they boast a few "official" licensee certificates showing they have SNK's blessing selling the goods.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
It costs the same as a typical American JAMMA cab or Big Red here in the USA. Saving money over a real cab really isn’t a valid point when it comes to this.

Took the words out of my mouth. In fact, if you're willing to raid arcade operators, you might get even better deals (here in Italy, generic Jamma cabs with excellent CRTs are dime a dozen).

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
www.neogeoarcade.com

rest assured that MVSX will pop up at that site. Interestingly enough, they currently carry a 2-player arcade stick with 40 built-in neogeo titles with UNICO branding. I'm guessing the guts of that stick will be the guts of the MVSX and the details are in there.

Check out their "about us" section - they boast a few "official" licensee certificates showing they have SNK's blessing selling the goods.

Thank you NeoCverA!

UNICO
This one has 44 SNK games:

:scratch::scratch:

UNICO_Retro_Arcade_FUN_R1_Dual_Joystick_Game_Arcade.jpg

115880863_147968203608396_2980402769213617104_o.jpg

https://neogeoarcade.com/products/unico-retro-arcade-fun-r1

Since "Neogeoarcade" is an authorized sales agent of SNK Corp., they also appear to sell other products that are not necessarily promoted through SNK's other channels (though this R1 unit doesn't appear to feature any Neo Geo branding). The game listing on this unit is very similar to the MVSX game list (still no Art of Fighting 2).

Last edited:
I feel like SNK are releasing the same games over and over again. NEO Geo X, Neo Geo Mini, ASP, ACA Neo Geo on consoles. People will get tired and bored of this man. They should start releasing new games to keep it more entertaining man.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I feel like SNK are releasing the same games over and over again. NEO Geo X, Neo Geo Mini, ASP, ACA Neo Geo on consoles. People will get tired and bored of this man. They should start releasing new games to keep it more entertaining man.

I agree with you about the need to keep the new games coming. The ACA re-releases should scratch that itch for most, but then again, Arcade1Up had a lot of success (especially recently) so perhaps that well hasn't dried up just yet?

Either way, this stuff isn't to the liking of most members here, but I'm sure these licensed products help fund their larger projects overall:
King of Fighters XIV
Samurai Shodown (2019)
King of Fighters XV
Metal Slug
etc

The master plan is to make Neo Geo titles available on every platform and form factor imaginable :lolz::vik:

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
ACA Magician Lord is what pushed me to finally buy an actual Neo-Geo system (CD, I know, but baby steps...).

It's funny how they're well regarded for not fucking up emulation like almost every other romzorz rereleasers. Very low bar to clear yet only Hamster does it.