MVS X Multi Video System

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
You want then to license the entire Neo Geo library? Or do you mean just games SNK holds the rights to?

I think the reality is they try to come up with a reasonable number of games without giving away everything.
Every neogeo game SNK holds the license for. I mean seriously if SNK gave me 21" screen every game they could and in plastic candy cab i'd go all in for it as its giving SNK money where as buying retro over priced carts isnt. Eventually i'll just do a Candy Cab and a everdrive type setup with every game I guess though.

Gaoh

New Challenger
4 button layout? Pffftt that’s so 90’s hello 6 hahahaha, supposedly único is a company that branched off from the one that made the mini and the arcade stick pro. I seriously don’t get why the comparison with the arcade1up since it looks like they scrapped that partnership and we might have gotten like 2-3 games maybe. We will see, what freaking sucks is the amazon exclusivity and if it goes by how scarce the turbo grafx 16 has been they can suck it.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Every neogeo game SNK holds the license for. I mean seriously if SNK gave me 21" screen every game they could and in plastic candy cab i'd go all in for it as its giving SNK money where as buying retro over priced carts isnt. Eventually i'll just do a Candy Cab and a everdrive type setup with every game I guess though.

Alec is correct. :) Modern SNK and their parent company own the rights to the majority of Neo-Geo games for sure, but not all. Just because they published something in the past doesn't not mean they still hold the rights in 2020.

Example: The Visco re-releases as of late are not licensed by or endorsed by SNK because they do not own those IPs. The upcoming re-release of Rage of the Dragons is another example. Similarly, we'll also never see a re-release of SVC Chaos of any sort unless Capcom gets involved as that licencing deal has long since expired.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Alec is correct. :) Modern SNK and their parent company own the rights to the majority of Neo-Geo games for sure, but not all. Just because they published something in the past doesn't not mean they still hold the rights in 2020.

Example: The Visco re-releases as of late are not licensed by or endorsed by SNK because they do not own those IPs. The upcoming re-release of Rage of the Dragons is another example. Similarly, we'll also never see a re-release of SVC Chaos of any sort unless Capcom gets involved as that licencing deal has long since expired.
I read that to mean ysselcneogeo wants them to include every game SNK has the rights to. I doubt they're going to do that.

Is this thing even officially licensed? They probably included the extra buttons for ease of hacking the machine to add 6-button games. Actually, they're probably using the same control panel for multiple machines.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
the real question is how much does it weigh? If you are not in danger of it crushing your lungs in transit, then it aint a Big Red.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I thought it had the same lineup as the Neo geo mini until I saw Baseball Stars on there, why is Top Players Golf chosen over Turfmasters and why Baseball Stars 1 over 2? Sometimes these game choices are head scratchers.

Based on madlittlepixel's recent video, I think the MVSX will share the same hardware as the Neo-Geo Mini and ASP. If this is true, the CPU has emulation issues with certain NG games; playing anything above Super Sidekicks 1 on the ASP there's raster issues and occasional stuttering. I think SNK is sticking with most of the same games because noticeable emulation issues that pop up with select titles.

Last edited:

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
I read that to mean ysselcneogeo wants them to include every game SNK has the rights to. I doubt they're going to do that.

Is this thing even officially licensed? They probably included the extra buttons for ease of hacking the machine to add 6-button games. Actually, they're probably using the same control panel for multiple machines.

Ahh got it. Lol, that's what I get for responding before coffee.

To your question - I haven't seen anything on the website that points to any endorsement from SNK themselves.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
So clicky sticks or nah?

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
So clicky sticks or nah?

But clicky stick so hard! :lolz:

But seriously though one would hope they go the route of 1Up and (supposedly) iiRcade and at least use descent knock offs of real arcade sticks and buttons.

I'm sure SNK will chime in to add to the credibility at some point, so its just a matter of time.

As far as the 4 vs 6 buttons go - it is just a render, and the site itself is less than complete, so I take the design with a grain of salt. Same thing with the dimensions - most likely the width and the depth are just reversed (they're also different figures on two different images!).

Pre-orders supposed to up on Amazon next month so hopefully they ramp up the info quick.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Now that it’s revealed to be official product that is a result of a partnership with SNK, the reason for the 6 buttons being on the cab rather than the preset 4-button RYGB (offset R) config is probably just so fans can set the config to their own preferences:

JA-MVS-S_v1-1_Layouts_480x480.png

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Now that it’s revealed to be official product that is a result of a partnership with SNK, the reason for the 6 buttons being on the cab rather than the preset 4-button RYGB (offset R) config is probably just so fans can set the config to their own preferences:

JA-MVS-S_v1-1_Layouts_480x480.png

I was just going to post about the button layout when having 6 buttons.

In my bartop y decided to go this route which seems weird to people when they come play but works for me

Whats-App-Image-2020-08-12-at-21-49-04.jpg

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I've said it countless times... I'll never understand the appeal of all these new licensed machines. There's never been a better time to enjoy real Neo games: just buy a cheap consolized MVS, a bean stick or any compatible arcade stick and a 161-in-1 cart and you'll have something that's leaps and bounds better than ANY emulated NeoGeo. And if you have the room, buy the cheapest cab you can find (doesn't even have to be an original one, as long as you can fit four buttons for each player on the control panel), put a 1-slot board inside and you're ready to go. I know the appeal of the NeoGeo mini is displaying something cute on your shelf (it could very well have a picture slideshow inside, nobody buys that toy to play games on it), but this? This I'll never understand.
And by the way, if emulation's fine for you, why limit yourself to an arbitrary selection of roms? Buy any Raspberry arcade bartop and you'll have all of them...

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've said it countless times... I'll never understand the appeal of all these new licensed machines. There's never been a better time to enjoy real Neo games: just buy a cheap consolized MVS, a bean stick or any compatible arcade stick and a 161-in-1 cart and you'll have something that's leaps and bounds better than ANY emulated NeoGeo. And if you have the room, buy the cheapest cab you can find (doesn't even have to be an original one, as long as you can fit four buttons for each player on the control panel), put a 1-slot board inside and you're ready to go. I know the appeal of the NeoGeo mini is displaying something cute on your shelf (it could very well have a picture slideshow inside, nobody buys that toy to play games on it), but this? This I'll never understand.
And by the way, if emulation's fine for you, why limit yourself to an arbitrary selection of roms? Buy any Raspberry arcade bartop and you'll have all of them...

I agree. To most it's just a show piece to display in their collection. People love to spend money on nostalgia. It just is what it is. You'll never get through to them. I bought into some of the mini hype and after buying some of the consoles I was like why the fuck do I need this shit when I have the real thing.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
...but we are all also on a forum site dedicated to a console that’s been dead for almost 2 decades afterall. :lolz:

We’re all fans for one reason or another. I’m sure pretty much everyone on this site has both a mame setup and actual hardware at their disposal, yet many of us keep purchasing physical carts and or continue finding new ways to emulate old hardware. All us fans are crazy for one reason or another; it’s what unites us :lolz:

Last edited:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Yeah, I know what you mean... print the SNK logo on a roll of toilet paper, and as long as it's officially licensed we'll buy it for a premium price, like it's some kind of treasure :lolz: Nostalgia drives us crazy... but stuff like the MVS X, with that "Unico" logo slapped on the side, doesn't even feel that nostalgic to me. Mini consoles can be an impulse purchase (hey Razo! :D), but when you have to spend this kind of money for emulation, you'd better consider the other options... you know, options that have four buttons in a straight line and let you play the whole Neo library, for example.

Last edited:

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist

Not "any" emulated Neo Geo. MAME with a real PC is indistinguishable at this point.

Really, MAME connected to a CRT is more authentic than real hardware connected to an LCD. We're at the point where input/output devices make more of a difference than the nature of machine.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Well this is probably the closest I’ll get to an actual arcade machine at this point so, assuming the emulation isn’t crap and sticks are clicky, i’ll probably bite.

I mean there are dumber things I could blow $500 on, so yeah...

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Well this is probably the closest I’ll get to an actual arcade machine at this point so, assuming the emulation isn’t crap and sticks are clicky, i’ll probably bite.

I mean there are dumber things I could blow $500 on, so yeah...

Don't do it. Just buy a bartop with a variable refresh monitor if that's what you're doing to do.

You realize that with this piece of shit, you won't even get smooth scrolling, because the Neo Geo runs at 59.1hz, and the shitty low res LCD they put in this will be locked at 60hz? If you're not going to get a variable refresh monitor or connect the computer to a CRT, don't even bother with emulation.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Last edited:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member

Naika

Street Hoop Star
...but we are all also on a forum site dedicated to a console that’s been dead for almost 2 decades afterall. :lolz:

We’re all fans for one reason or another. I’m sure pretty much everyone on this site has both a mame setup and actual hardware at their disposal, yet many of us keep purchasing physical carts and or continue finding new ways to emulate old hardware. All us fans are crazy for one reason or another; it’s what unites us :lolz:

truth right here. yeah, i still hate that button layout but I guess it is helpful for folks not familiar with the 4 button layout.