MVS X Multi Video System

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
RetroRGB Review:

Edit:
Interestingly enough, his buddy mentioned that he had issues launching Terry Bogard’s Power Guyser in Fatal Fury Special on the player 1 side...no disrespect to the guy, but the special move input he goes on to state that he was attempting is incorrect (time marker 15:40). Terry’s power guyser input in Fatal Fury Special is :qcb::downb::forw:B+C. However, RetroRGB’s guest stated that he was trying to input QCB,HCF,B+C for Terry’s input; the altered directional input is how Terry’s Power Guyser is performed in the KOF series, not FFS. That may explain his trouble/inconsistency with the input. Either way, it sounds like priority #1 is to replace the sticks for those interested.

Thanks for the heads up, hadn’t seen this reviews!

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
He is the only guy who didn't care and opened up the back to look at the inside (not that there is really anything surprising or to look at).

The retro RGB review said someone stripped the hell out of the screws in back—wonder if it was this guy, lol.

Zero-8

n00b
Lol, I think he had his neighbor and his girlfriend play it for their impressions.

I would expect they have additional game collections locked away in the system as they had with the ASP - another 50? 100 mega shock?

Perhaps.

So if that the case how long before someone hack it to unlock those games

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
So if that the case how long before someone hack it to unlock those games

As soon as we get our hands on one, we’ll start working on it. I’m thinking there won’t be any additional games locked in this system like the ASP. We will just need to hack it and get it to play everything our way.

Last edited:

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
These have started to show up internationally and it looks like they're on their was in the US as well. Mine looks to be arriving Monday.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
These have started to show up internationally and it looks like they're on their was in the US as well. Mine looks to be arriving Monday.

Whats up TMOSteel, you were right. Though I did not receive a shipping confirmation email until just this morning, the unit and stand have already arrived.

Setup was straightforward, though they did make a change to step 5. Do not use the default screws to attach the bartop to the stand. Use the new replacement screws they provided in the separate bag (they are wider and come with washers).

601FC50E-86F6-4960-A0C0-6E2BEF1394E2.jpeg

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Wow, actually looks kinda cool. Impressions?

Are the coin slots real?

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Whats up TMOSteel, you were right. Though I did not receive a shipping confirmation email until just this morning, the unit and stand have already arrived.

Setup was straightforward, though they did make a change to step 5. Do not use the default screws to attach the bartop to the stand. Use the new replacement screws they provided in the separate bag (they are wider and come with washers).

View attachment 58444

Looks cool, congrats!

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Wow, actually looks kinda cool. Impressions?

Are the coin slots real?

Hey whats up egg_sanwich. Sure no prob:

The unit was ready to go out of the box and the stand was quick and easy to assemble. The look of the cabinet is really nice and I like the overall presentation of the unit. The coin slots are not real/functional, but they are molded rather than just being a flat sticker.

Controls:
For those that want to use these for serious play sessions, I would replace both the stick and buttons with those of your own preference as soon as possible. Since I have a real mvs cabinet positioned a few feet away from it, I won't be using the mvsx for serious FTG play so the stock controls don't bother me. I was able to pull off my usual combos in Real Bout 2 and Garou MotW (feint and break cancel combos) just fine. I was also able to consistently perform the Elta double jump glitch/technique in Magician Lord. Though to be fair, I got used to playing on typically trashy controls at my local arcades growing up so I'm not as particular about what controls I use.

Sound:
No complaints from me here. Just crank the volume dial and enjoy.

Emulation:
All of the youtubers who previewed the mvsx unit were commenting on the display, pixels, and aspect ratio, but they all ultimately stated that they found no fault with the emulation. However, all of the common neo geo emulation issues are indeed present in this unit.
One of the first tests that I use on all these neo geo emulator devices is as follows:
1) Boot up Garou Mark of the Wolves
2) Select Terry Bogard vs Terry Bogard (2-player)
3) Have the 1p and 2p side each win a round
4) Observe the behavior of the bridge scrolling in round 3
86779D78-B99B-4E4D-AE3D-23A668AF8279.jpeg
The Neo Geo Mini's, Neo Geo Arcade Stick Pro, and the MVSX all fail this test. The support beams on the bridge in the background will appear to scroll erratically on all of these devices. Interestingly enough, the older Neo Geo X passes this particular test (though it, notoriously, does have numerous other issues).
The Metal Slug 2 background heat effect and the background flame effects in Last Blade 2 all perform the same as the Mini's and ASP as well:
Metal Slug 2 Stage 1 heat effect is partial.*
slug2.gif
vs
slug2_1.gif

Notice that only the top-most background hills have the heat effect in the 2nd Metal Slug 2 screenshot.
Last Blade 2: Fire at Wadamoya wavy heat effect is absent.**
lastblade2-large-fire-at-wadamoya-stage.gif

**Note: The wavy heat effect is absent from basically every port/version of Last Blade 2 that followed the MVS original (NGCD, dreamcast port, PS2 neo geo online collection release, NG Mini's, ASP), with the exceptions of the versions of Last Blade 2 that were released by Code Mystics (they fixed it via patch after release) and the Hamster ACA release.

King of Fighters 99 also intermittently drops directional and or button inputs during the character select and order select screens (This also occurs on the Neo Geo Mini).
kof99.jpg

The-King-of-Fighters-99-Millennium-Battle-the-king-of-fighters-34589038-500-375.png

Verdict:
After watching all the reviews and impressions, the unit is what I expected and I am ultimately happy with the purchase. This unit is probably just fine for casual gameplay, 3/4 scale/arcade1up cabinet collectors, kids (and kids at heart), and other crazy SNK fanatics like myself who will buy just about anything with the Neo Geo logo on it :lolz: ...However, for $500 most enthusiasts should probably just wait for a lower price since they will likely need to buy extra parts to mod this unit to be happy with it/justify their purchase.

Looks cool, congrats!

Hey thanks NeoCverA, I'm really curious to see what you and your team cook up for this unit :buttrock:

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Don’t forget Sengoku 2. It fails with the wavy character intro at beginning of game.

Great catch NeoCvera; the opening wave effect is indeed missing on the MVSX.

Admittedly, a lot of these visual effects can be said to be minor and their exclusion does not adversely affect the gameplay. However, if we are going to address the topic of emulation quality in these types of devices, these issues should at least be mentioned imho. Thanks again.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Great catch NeoCvera; the opening wave effect is indeed missing on the MVSX.

Admittedly, a lot of these visual effects can be said to be minor and their exclusion does not adversely affect the gameplay. However, if we are going to address the topic of emulation quality in these types of devices, these issues should at least be mentioned imho. Thanks again.

I always found that it was those little details that made the Neo special. Removing them to me kind of cheapens the experience.

It does look pretty cool though.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I always found that it was those little details that made the Neo special. Removing them to me kind of cheapens the experience.

It does look pretty cool though.

I agree with you RAZO. I know it won’t matter to most who may choose to buy the unit (which may be why the various youtubers never mentioned these issues), but I feel they are worth bringing to light.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Hope you enjoy it Blackanese, and it gets some use at your place!

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Hope you enjoy it Blackanese, and it gets some use at your place!

For sure, Ralfakick! :buttrock:
We all had a great time with it yesterday. My son loves how easy it is to quickly hop back and forth between all the different games compared to the real mvs needing to have the cabinet opened up and the cartridges swapped around :lolz:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
@NeoCvera
Unfortunately, the lightning flicker effect was missing in the battle against Raoh...er, Zeus in World Heroes 2 Jet on the mvsx. The mvsx has the effect missing altogether, though for comparison, the NGX flickers like mad during this match instead so it could have been far worse.

D642D9A1-A5CE-499C-B3A8-958E7B83592D.jpeg

Also, what firmware does your unit have? Mine says Version 1.0.

The added “Violence” option is on by default in some games but not others. I assume this is set to mimic the mvs setting by default (ie. default red blood in Samurai Shodown 2 on mvs, but green for aes).

When testing Samurai Shodown 2, it looks like the “Violence” option was only available when the mvsx is set to “MVS” mode in the settings menu.

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
@NeoCvera
Unfortunately, the lightning flicker effect was missing in the battle against Raoh...er, Zeus in World Heroes 2 Jet on the mvsx. The mvsx has the effect missing altogether, though for comparison, the NGX flickers like mad during this match instead so it could have been far worse.

View attachment 58449

Also, what firmware does your unit have? Mine says Version 1.0.

The added “Violence” option is on by default in some games but not others. I assume this is set to mimic the mvs setting by default (ie. default red blood in Samurai Shodown 2 on mvs, but green for aes).

When testing Samurai Shodown 2, it looks like the “Violence” option was only available when the mvsx is set to “MVS” mode in the settings menu.

That’s an interesting find for sure but how about a video?

I guess I could play, lol but if you have it saved - show me a clip.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
That’s an interesting find for sure but how about a video?

I guess I could play, lol but if you have it saved - show me a clip.

We've been playing the hell out of this thing, but I haven't noticed any additional emulation issues aside from those that I observed and outlined above.

Regarding the World Heroes 2 Jet issue, I beat it but didn't capture any video. This is the way the match against Zeus is supposed to look:
Battle starts at 0:29

The screen flashes black during lightning strikes, but on the mvsx the match plays out without this effect at all (some might say this is an improvement in this battle though :lolz:).

Burning Blade

Crazed MVS Addict
Hey Ninja, thanks for the suggestion. I am a little hesitant to buy directly , as I’m not sure their return policy will be as generous and easy as Amazon’s. I saw a review of a fellow with a dead pixel on his MVSX LCD, and I know if. something like that happens with my unit my OCD is going to drive me to return it.