My MVS copy of King of Fighters 99 has missing voice samples

Rufus Almasy

Kuroko's Training Dummy
When I was playing the game today, I noticed that when a character taunts I don't hear any of the voice samples from at least half of the roster. For example, when Athena taunts I hear her sneezing then she says a few lines, but I don't hear that at all. At the start of the battle I don't hear her lines either. When I tried Mai, same thing I hear nothing. Then I tried Mary, I do hear her voice just fine and some other characters as well.

At first I thought maybe there was something wrong with my sound setup, but that checked out fine. Then I thought it was maybe the region and version of the game, so I switched between regions and from MVS to AES, and the results were the same. Then I thought it was maybe my Omega CMS, but that checked out fine after testing other KoF games.

So could one of the rom chips gone bad or corrupted? Is that a common problem?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Do you have a unibios? If so try doing a CRC check on the cart, might be correct in there being corruption present. I'm not sure if that will mean it'll return a NG result though, others here would have a better understanding of that.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Yeah. A good amount of korean titles have Japanese voices and culture related terms removed from them due to bans on Japanese culture in Korea at the time. This was done through a modified P1, M1, and S1 or some combination of the three.

Rufus Almasy

Kuroko's Training Dummy
You might have a korean version of the game. Do the boards look like set 2?

https://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/King_of_Fighters_'99

Well it's actually Board Set 6, the very last one.

Sorry for the late reply you guys, I got hung up on other important stuff. So I did a CRC Check and the ROM Region got a OK while the rest of the ROM Bank got a "custom."

So what does all of this mean? Were some of the ROMs modified or something?

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Yeah. A good amount of korean titles have Japanese voices and culture related terms removed from them due to bans on Japanese culture in Korea at the time. This was done through a modified P1, M1, and S1 or some combination of the three.

Didn't know this, I'm always learning new stuff in this site.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Well it's actually Board Set 6, the very last one.

Sorry for the late reply you guys, I got hung up on other important stuff. So I did a CRC Check and the ROM Region got a OK while the rest of the ROM Bank got a "custom."

So what does all of this mean? Were some of the ROMs modified or something?

This might be of interest from one of Razoola's old posts.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...Check-custom&p=4104764&viewfull=1#post4104764

If your cart is not a Korean set and is set 6 as you say then from Razoola's statement the cartridge would probably fail the CRC check on one of those bank regions. It's just that the Unibios can't retrieve the needed data to confirm it for you.

Rufus Almasy

Kuroko's Training Dummy
This might be of interest from one of Razoola's old posts.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...Check-custom&p=4104764&viewfull=1#post4104764

If your cart is not a Korean set and is set 6 as you say then from Razoola's statement the cartridge would probably fail the CRC check on one of those bank regions. It's just that the Unibios can't retrieve the needed data to confirm it for you.

I see. So it might be some corruption there yet it only affects the voice samples for certain characters, everything else works perfectly fine.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Take a picture of the cart and label when you get the chance.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
A look at board 6 scans shows that the P1 & P2 roms aren't the proper ones. And google dat shit and you see that NGH 151 is used for the Korean version of KOF '99. So that's why you're missing the audio for some characters. Game is fine, it's just a Korean version.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
A look at board 6 scans shows that the P1 & P2 roms aren't the proper ones. And google dat shit and you see that NGH 151 is used for the Korean version of KOF '99. So that's why you're missing the audio for some characters. Game is fine, it's just a Korean version.

uhhhhh...

Rufus Almasy

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks to a fellow Neo-Geo user, I got the board swapped out for a USA board and now the missing voice samples are back! Man, this just made the gameplay experience much better now. I am grateful that I got it repaired.