Neo Geo AES Crackling Sound

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
My buddy has and AES that has intermittent crackling static popping sound. Tried both through the headphones and normal connection with the same results.
It might be important to note that the system has been RGB modded, but worked fine as such for years.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Either its the games/cartridge slot in which case give it a good cleaning. I personally use rubbing alcohol on a rag wrapped over a credit card and then a little deoxit the same way. Or else there is a bad ground/cracked solder joint along the audio circuit

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I wouldn’t go with deoxit for anything other than a last ditch effort IMO. I go with 99% isopropyl alcohol and q-tips. It always works for me, and generally fixes any odd glitches with the graphics or sound.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Deoxit is perfectly safe on electronics after 5 mins, plus I wash it with IPA after its dried. Deoxit specializes in removing rust and oxidation so it works great.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Deoxit is perfectly safe on electronics after 5 mins, plus I wash it with IPA after its dried. Deoxit specializes in removing rust and oxidation so it works great.

AES cart pins are generally never oxidized or rusted. They need cleaned, not polished with an abrasive substance.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Probably Capacitors. Someone correct me if im wrong but some revisions of the AES are missing capacitors in the audio circuitry. Xian Xi would mentioned this to me when I sent my AEs for fixing.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
slightly off topic, but why would you have to mod an AES for RGB? doesn't the DIN connector on the back have RGB available on stock systems?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
slightly off topic, but why would you have to mod an AES for RGB? doesn't the DIN connector on the back have RGB available on stock systems?

Depending on the mobo, the RGB output can have jailbars, checkerboarding, or both. Performing an RGB bypass solves those issues. The 3-6 mobo specifically is known for jailbar issues. The 3-5 can have checkerboarding on sprites, but not every console is effected, oddly enough.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
cleaned the pins and no change, however upon further testing I have noticed some games have a bit of screen flicker when higher pitched sounds go through the system, also the no sound is coming through the red (right channel) is not working.
i'm guessing the mod board went bad, or it might be bad caps

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Distilled water is probably good enough in most cases too. You just need to remove the layer of dust from the pins.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
YES.
BB
cleaned the pins and no change, however upon further testing I have noticed some games have a bit of screen flicker when higher pitched sounds go through the system, also the no sound is coming through the red (right channel) is not working.
i'm guessing the mod board went bad, or it might be bad caps

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I wouldn’t go with deoxit for anything other than a last ditch effort IMO. I go with 99% isopropyl alcohol and q-tips. It always works for me, and generally fixes any odd glitches with the graphics or sound.

I’ve been using Deoxit for years, what’s the problem?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Deoxit, ISO, PCB cleaner, warm soapy water and a toothbrush... it's all fine unless you're using WD40.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Personally I use Deoxit-D100 liquid. Way easier to use. There is also solvent free Deoxit-D5S.