Turbo CD problems

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I got a broken Turbo CD with dock, case etc., about fifteenish years ago and I'm just now trying to repair the unit.

Last night I replaced the center gear that wouldn't turn, it literally crumbled as I tried to get the split washer off. Unfortunately that was only part of the problem. The disc will only spin about one quarter turn and then stop (just checking using a regular CD). I've manually moved the laser assembly and it smoothly moves back into place, so the new gear is working. Also, if I keep the door open and hold the switch I can see the laser try to gain focus on the disc, so, while I'm not positive, I don't think it's the laser going bad.

Weirdly the 'repeat' led will pop on sometimes, too.

Any ideas from people familiar with Turbo CDs?

Thanks,
Max

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I got a broken Turbo CD with dock, case etc., about fifteenish years ago and I'm just now trying to repair the unit.

Last night I replaced the center gear that wouldn't turn, it literally crumbled as I tried to get the split washer off. Unfortunately that was only part of the problem. The disc will only spin about one quarter turn and then stop (just checking using a regular CD). I've manually moved the laser assembly and it smoothly moves back into place, so the new gear is working. Also, if I keep the door open and hold the switch I can see the laser try to gain focus on the disc, so, while I'm not positive, I don't think it's the laser going bad.

Weirdly the 'repeat' led will pop on sometimes, too.

Any ideas from people familiar with Turbo CDs?

Thanks,
Max
Have you tried greasing the laser rails? I had a Saturn that I replaced the laser assembly and it did something similar. I put some lithium or silicone grease on the rails and it ran perfectly afterwards.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Yeah, when I replaced the crumbling gear, I greased both rails. Like I said in my first post, if I manually move the laser assembly to the far side of the rail, it will move back to center smoothly.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Not familiar with the Turbo CD but that sounds like a drive chip malfunction. CD based consoles have 1 or more chips that control all the motors. Try and find a schematic for your model and see what chips drive the cd spindle. You can usually find replacement and sometimes OEM chips for these assemblies on eBay or Aliexpress. If you're lucky you might get some from digikey and not deal with the 4 week lead time.