The King of Fighters: Awaken

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
How about let's not make it so boring? This movie looks a lot like the old Hong Kong KOF comics. Rambling, boring, zero structure or character.

Fuck, learn some pacing. All that time just to get into the temple. It's not dramatic. It's not interesting. Speed it the fuck up. Get a real director.

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
Another cliche action movie, just with KOF characters. At least the animation improved from KOF Destiny, but I guess the budget got bigger too.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
It’s sad that every action SNK takes nowadays further proves how Chinese the company is.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
It’s sad that every action SNK takes nowadays further proves how Chinese the company is.

Sup Digmac. I think I understand what you’re saying brother, but when it comes to comparing both post-bankruptcy SNK era’s they seem to be doing much better now overall despite some odd project decisions.

To be fair, after the situation with Aruze reducing SNK’s intellectual properties to pachinko subjects, SNK Playmore ironically used the characters to do the same thing later on. Even in the later “Playmore” era, SNK released tons of pachislot machines, mobile games, and products designed for new audiences that longtime fans disliked**.

SNK Playmore era:
  • Neo Geo collections and rereleases
  • Neo Geo X console**
  • 3D KOF MI series**
  • 3D Metal Slug**
  • KOF EX series
  • Metal Slug Advance
  • Metal Slug 7/XX
  • Doki Doki Majou Shinpan series**
  • Days of Memories series**
  • KOF Sky Stage games**
  • KOF XIII
  • Pachislot**
  • Tons of mobile games (Metal Slug Assault, Rhythm of Fighters, etc)**

SNK current era:
  • Neo Geo collections and rereleases
  • Neo Geo Mini/ASP consoles**
  • KOF XIV
  • Samurai Shodown (2019)
  • Tons of mobile games (Kimi wa Hero, KOF for Girls, etc)**

If nothing else, aside from the current abundance of merchandise and side projects, SNK’s output appears to be more focused and collaborations under their new ownership appears to have actually grown their audience. These in particular:

ACA Neo Geo success (especially on switch)
Terry Bogard’s Smash Bros. inclusion
Samurai Shodown’s reception and success

I miss the old SNK that I grew up with in the 80’s and 90’s, and the current company is certainly different, but I am just glad that they are still around. Not all their new projects are winners but I’ll gladly excuse projects like these if it means they can fund more titles like Samurai Shodown (2019).

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
How about let's not make it so boring? This movie looks a lot like the old Hong Kong KOF comics. Rambling, boring, zero structure or character.

Fuck, learn some pacing. All that time just to get into the temple. It's not dramatic. It's not interesting. Speed it the fuck up. Get a real director.
I think this is a teaser trailer.

I miss the old SNK that I grew up with in the 80’s and 90’s, and the current company is certainly different, but I am just glad they they are still around. Not all their new projects are winners but I’ll gladly excuse projects like these if it means they can fund more titles like Samurai Shodown (2019).
This is a healthy attitude. What game company still is what it was in the 90's?

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
If nothing else, aside from the current abundance of merchandise and side projects, SNK’s output appears to be more focused and collaborations under their new ownership appears to have actually grown their audience. These in particular:

ACA Neo Geo success (especially on switch)
Terry Bogard’s Smash Bros. inclusion
Samurai Shodown’s reception and success

I miss the old SNK that I grew up with in the 80’s and 90’s, and the current company is certainly different, but I am just glad that they are still around. Not all their new projects are winners but I’ll gladly excuse projects like these if it means they can fund more titles like Samurai Shodown (2019).

I fully agree with you here, it would be insane to expect the company to be exactly the same as it was in the 90's and I am really glad they are still around and that they are still doing pretty well and stuff seems to get better and better. They do have some odd projects like this movie and some of their mobile games, I guess they are not for everyone, but their target audiences actually likes them, so they might no be so odd after all. If you read the comments to this teaser trailer, people seem to really like it and actually want to see more, same with their mobile games, they are really popular, especially in China. They are really not my thing, but if this means that SNK will have the funds to make more amazing games and a boost in popularity, then so be it.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
The animation looks good at least, but imma tell you guys, this feels like another bad CG film with terrible pacing and even worse dialogue.

SMH...

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Is it just me or does Goenitz look like a hardcore WWF version of Hugo Weaving?

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
The only good SNK animes were the Fatal Fury ones. Too bad they fucked up and made them non-canon

BTW... Iori looks like he belongs in a John Waters film.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I think this is a teaser trailer.
A teaser trailer is supposed to be short and get your attention and generate excitement quickly. Not feel dragged out and have people yelling GET ON WITH IT at the screen.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
KOF is only good for the doujins involving the female cast. :D

In all seriousness, that trailer has the classic contemporary Chinese movie tackiness feel to it. Hopefully the actual movie is salvageable and not full of cringeworthy direction and CG.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
A teaser trailer is supposed to be short and get your attention and generate excitement quickly. Not feel dragged out and have people yelling GET ON WITH IT at the screen.
That's how I feel about every modern game trailer.

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
KOF is only good for the doujins involving the female cast. :D

In all seriousness, that trailer has the classic contemporary Chinese movie tackiness feel to it. Hopefully the actual movie is salvageable and not full of cringeworthy direction and CG.

I really hope that too, KOF Destiny for example had some good moments imo, especially the ones involving the backstory of Terry and the Fatal Fury team (reminded me of the old anime), but I still hated how the AOF team was treated as comic relief only and Takuma didn't even appear (at least King got a dedicated mini-episode or whatever, where some justice was done).

That's how I feel about every modern game trailer.

Same, especially if almost no gameplay is shown, but not quite every modern game trailer is like that and some games end up pretty good regardless of the shitty trailer, so hope is not completely lost.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Well at least they're using a story from the comics where Goenitz beats up Kyo, then he learns the new style. That's. Better then Destiny.

As for SNK as a company I so far prefer Play more, but not by much. Playmore had the KOF UM series, and most of their non AAA releases had online netplay unlike the ACA series of games. Though hiring a company to make rereleases that can do rollback netcode is a good step forward.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
This looks meh. The character designs are weird AF too - Goenitz especially. At least they got Iori's love for stray cats in the announcement/hyper trailer. Nothing screams KOF like Iori feeding a cat.

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Spot on and sadly the whole industry is going this way what once was an American and Japanese dominated industry is slowly going to CHINA which wouldn't be such a bad thing if not for the communist party...

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
visuals look pretty good it held my interest for a bit I will give it a watch