just picked up a 2 slot cabinet

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Just bought a 2 slot cabinet that has some issues. First off the sound on the 2 slot board sounds like its only playing half the sound. When I plug my 1 slot board into the cab it sounds great, so that leads me to believe the problem is with the 2 slot board itself. Secondly the control panel overlay is coming off and is cracked around the D button on player 2 side.

I've never seen a 2 slot with this control panel configuration, seems kinda off? not sure but I need a new overlay so if you guys have any info on where I can get one, dont care if its repro or not.

Also the buttons and sticks are cheap ass chinese ones. Want to put all new buttons and sticks in. What did they come with originally? heard that they were IL sticks just need that confirmed. Any advice on the cab in general is also appreciated Thanks for the help!

EDIT one more thing. all of the screws that go on top of the overlay are missing, where can I get those?

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'd check if that bad boy is wired for JAMMA or MVS. Keep in mind the differences that are within the stereo line itself, but I'm sure youve already got that covered. Does sliding the headphone or speaker sliders on the board help?

My overlay doesn't have plexi and I believe looks similar. I can confirm from some pics I have or I can get the gf to send me pics of the CP to compare

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
I'd check if that bad boy is wired for JAMMA or MVS. Keep in mind the differences that are within the stereo line itself, but I'm sure youve already got that covered. Does sliding the headphone or speaker sliders on the board help?

My overlay doesn't have plexi and I believe looks similar. I can confirm from some pics I have or I can get the gf to send me pics of the CP to compare

yeah after some digging I have noticed that the 1 slot boards are wired for Jamma but the 2 slot is different. I have been going over the main harness and noticed that the mono audio was not even connected. I put a wire on there and ran to the speaker harness. Now I have that missing sound but it is extremely low volume. could a ground cause this? gonna have to do some more digging.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
OK! it was a grounding issue. LOL im so happy right now, sound is working 100%. Now I just need to get the control panel squared away. I would love a pic of yours ggallegos.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Quarter Arcade has solid replacement CP overlays. They also carry the screws for the overlay you need. They're called "#10-24 x 1" Black Carriage Bolt (10 pack)"

https://quarterarcade.com/

Yeah, the machine originally came with Happ controls with bat tops. I hate the Happ sticks, so I did my best to restore my 4-slot using Sanwa sticks with bat tops (Japanese bat tops aren't common). I did get new Happ concave push buttons though, to try to match the original look.

You can get controls at https://focusattack.com/

How is the rest of the machine? Is the art in good shape? How's the monitor?

Last edited:

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
@Neo Alec Thanks for the info! will be ordering from those websites. Cab is in decent shape overall. some Minor scrapes on the side art and dings here and there. The monitor is really nice actually. Very good picture and no burn. still need to do some minor adjustments to it but its bright and clear. here's a couple pics

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Nice work. My 4-slot ended up being in pretty garbage condition the more I looked it over after I got it. Ended up replacing all the vinyls. And the monitor is sharp and bright, but has slight burn in. So this looks pretty good.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Nice work. My 4-slot ended up being in pretty garbage condition the more I looked it over after I got it. Ended up replacing all the vinyls. And the monitor is sharp and bright, but has slight burn in. So this looks pretty good.

Yeah im very pleased with the condition over all. the control panel and the sound were the biggest issues. now upon inspection looks like I need to redo the wiring for the test, service switch and coin doors but thats really not that big of a deal.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Great buy, wish I could have got a neo cabinet. Glad everything is turning out well!

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Congrats on the scoop, man. Good to see that you got everything squared away with it. Looks like the later, smaller, two slot style cab when they ditched the memory card ports on the MVS machines. Make sure you get the correct CP overlay, since there is a difference between the early and late 2 slot CP's.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Congrats on the scoop, man. Good to see that you got everything squared away with it. Looks like the later, smaller, two slot style cab when they ditched the memory card ports on the MVS machines. Make sure you get the correct CP overlay, since there is a difference between the early and late 2 slot CP's.

thank you! I am definitely finding that this CP is different than most 2 slots so it looks like I have to order an overlay. this cab still has the memory card slot but it definitely seems a bit smaller than others I have seen.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Great buy, wish I could have got a neo cabinet. Glad everything is turning out well!

I have been on the lookout for a cab for 8 years and finally one popped up. Keep looking, eventually you will find one.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
In regard to your other question, here's my CP from my 2 slot. The lighting is making it look like the CP is wavey below the P2 buttons, but it's not. It's slightly coming up on the P2 stick side, but nothing that needs a new CPO in my opinion

d9d1a7d1478e1c791404446c732440ba.jpg

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
thank you! I am definitely finding that this CP is different than most 2 slots so it looks like I have to order an overlay. this cab still has the memory card slot but it definitely seems a bit smaller than others I have seen.

Very interesting that it still has the memory card slot present. A friend of mine has a two slot cab with the same CP layout as yours. But it doesn’t have a memory card slot. His was built in 1994.

qlnxTU4.jpg

This is the CPO from my 2 slot cab which has the earlier layout. It’s a mid 1992 cabinet. It’s got a little wear but since it’s the original, it’s here to stay.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Very interesting that it still has the memory card slot present. A friend of mine has a two slot cab with the same CP layout as yours. But it doesn’t have a memory card slot. His was built in 1994.

qlnxTU4.jpg

This is the CPO from my 2 slot cab which has the earlier layout. It’s a mid 1992 cabinet. It’s got a little wear but since it’s the original, it’s here to stay.
I haven't seen the CPO with that black outline around the buttons. That's pretty awesome, mine matched Joe's with the little tail coming out below A

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
In regard to your other question, here's my CP from my 2 slot. The lighting is making it look like the CP is wavey below the P2 buttons, but it's not. It's slightly coming up on the P2 stick side, but nothing that needs a new CPO in my opinion

Awesome thank you so much, I think your cab is identical to mine then. I just thought it odd that the button layout was different on my cab. Since all the 2 slots ive ever seen are just like Digmacs control panel.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
here is the crack around the 2 player side and you can see severe peeling from the top right corner there.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
@digmac what sticks and buttons are you using? I just ordered IL sticks and buttons. I also see you went with convex buttons which im also doing as I much prefer them to concave.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Even though I have a cab, I still much prefer a console experience on the couch, with a large CRT and a stereo system. Way more comfortable, choice of controller, and far better sound.

I prefer convex buttons, but to preserve the original look of the big red cab, I went with concave.

d9d1a7d1478e1c791404446c732440ba.jpg
Try loosening the bolts a bit and pulling the CPO tight.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Even though I have a cab, I still much prefer a console experience on the couch, with a large CRT and a stereo system. Way more comfortable, choice of controller, and far better sound.

I prefer convex buttons, but to preserve the original look of the big red cab, I went with concave.

Try loosening the bolts a bit and pulling the CPO tight.
I'll try that out next weekend, thanks for the tip!

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
@digmac what sticks and buttons are you using? I just ordered IL sticks and buttons. I also see you went with convex buttons which im also doing as I much prefer them to concave.

I’ve got Happ convex buttons with cherry D44X switches. I went with iL for the sticks though as I really don’t care for the Happ quality on joysticks. The buttons, when paired up with the cherry switches, aren’t bad at all.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I can't play fighters with Happ sticks. I don't pull off the moves consistently. I'm used to Neo stye and Hori square gates, and the Sanwa sticks I bought are a massive improvement for my machine. I went with Sanwa because they have bat tops available, to make this big red look more like original parts.

50172612558_1651f6e0b0_k.jpg

Last edited: