The "glory days" of the Neo Geo: What were they to you?

Shmuppy

Banned
For me personally the first wave of games were special to me. Such diversity like sports, puzzle, action, shmup and nearly all of that done only by SNK. Yeah the games were crude but still a Magician Lord blew everything out of the water (including my nerves) and Raguy has more colors and cuteness than I can comprehend. ASO2 is another all time favs of mine. The first wave really showed how much love Kawasaki put into the New Japan Project.

I remember the first game my brother brought home It was all so exciting for me. My glory days consisted of watching my brother play. And the moment when he let me play for the first time. Oh God, he watched it all. I think he panicked that I was breaking something! That brings back memories!

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Hmmm My personal glory days so to speak Would probably be only a few years ago in 2018 when I picked up my first real bit of hardware (NGCD) and a few games some of which I had never heard of or played before getting the NGCD.
I was aware of Neo Geo long before that but never had the money to indulge.

In the 90's my family was not exactly rich (shit still aint) and lived out in the countryside so MVS was an occasional excitement when we would visit bowling alleys or Cinemas etc that had one, And the AES was just a Myth I had read about in magazines and talked about in the playground but nobody had ever seen.
I remember going on holiday to Blackpool one year and feeding money into a machine with Puzzle Bobble in which I love and one of the KOF's I think 95 or 96?
And the first time I got to play Metal Slug I near Jizzed my pants.

Fast forward back to now and I have the NGCD, MVS and a CMVS.
I have the entire library on a Neo SD and a pretty good collection of games for the NGCD.
Dont have many titles for the MVS but the ones I do are all ones I like and when I find some more at a agreeable price I will expand it :)

Its a cruel kind of joke really that back then I didnt have the money, Now I have the money the prices are higher now than they were then and cant really be justified :p

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
1998 - 2000.

KOF 98. Blazing Star. Last Blade 2. Metal Slug X. Garou. Among the very best Japanese video games ever made IMHO. I feel lucky to have lived through it and buy most of those games at release and remember being blown away each time...

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
1998 - 2000.

KOF 98. Blazing Star. Last Blade 2. Metal Slug X. Garou. Among the very best Japanese video games ever made IMHO. I feel lucky to have lived through it and buy most of those games at release and remember being blown away each time...
This is a surprising answer to me, since the Neo Geo was thought to be dead in 2000. KOF 2000’s release was a bit of a miracle and it came as a surprise to the community. The Neo Geo Freak magazines during 98-00 covered less and less actual Neo Geo games, and eventually covered no Neo Geo games at all, since there were no new titles to write about in some months of 2000. 98-99 makes more sense, since 2000 was the death of the Neo IMO.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Summer 2004.

Playing KoF 02 w/ tsuka, rassillion, eight•one, and RBJakeSpecial over TGS weekend.

We were wilding.

The cops came, and I was worried for weeks after the fact...that we got Jake evicted.

Bigger, Badder, Better-as advertised, lol.

5-0 never came to my house when games of Atari’s Combat broke out.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
This is a surprising answer to me, since the Neo Geo was thought to be dead in 2000. KOF 2000’s release was a bit of a miracle and it came as a surprise to the community. The Neo Geo Freak magazines during 98-00 covered less and less actual Neo Geo games, and eventually covered no Neo Geo games at all, since there were no new titles to write about in some months of 2000. 98-99 makes more sense, since 2000 was the death of the Neo IMO.

Yo whats up Digmac :buttrock:. Though the company itself was in rough shape, their output quality on the system was arguably the best it ever was/would ever be again:

KOF 98, Garou MotW, Last Blade 2, Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3, etc were (and are still considered by many) to be the finest entries in their respective series as whole. The NGPC was also in full swing and SNK’s IP’s were enjoying a wider spread thanks to the prominent crossover with Capcom on the handheld and the dreamcast too. It was all bittersweet since the end was nigh, but the games were amazing.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Yo whats up Digmac :buttrock:. Though the company itself was in rough shape, their output quality on the system was arguably the best it ever was/would ever be again:

KOF 98, Garou MotW, Last Blade 2, Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3, etc were (and are still considered by many) to be the finest entries in their respective series as whole. The NGPC was also in full swing and SNK’s IP’s were enjoying a wider spread thanks to the prominent crossover with Capcom on the handheld and the dreamcast too. It was all bittersweet since the end was nigh, but the games were amazing.

True true... I tend to associate the glory days of the Neo with how SNK was doing at the time. Looking at the games by themselves, they really were on fire still. It's just kinda sad when most SNK news at the time wasn't even on the Neo anymore but rather home ports and games SNK didn't even make like the Capcom VS SNK titles.