unibios 4.0 problems with Neosavemasta

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I just installed my Unibios 4.0 which I bought on auctions yahoo. Everything works fine but my NeoSave Masta I get the following error

20200722_163443.jpg

and when I tried to format the cart i get the following error.

20200722_163450.jpg

I assume I did something wrong but can't figure out what. I also don't have a second memory cart test

Can anybody help?

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Whoa thank you very much that is already very good info. Also very interesting site.

I also discovered that A4 is not connected from 68k pin 32 to the NEO-E0 pin 3. However I noticed that it is connected from 68K pin 32 to the Bios pin 24.
So I guess I have to run a wire from bios pin 24 to NEO-E0 pin3 ?
I'm sorry i'm not an technician but I'm willing to learn.

I also noticed there isn't a pin out for the BIOS chip this would be really handy right now. I'm gonna check all the other connections

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
You can connect bios pin 24 to NEO-E0 pin 3. It is a shared address bus. The pinout for the bios should match the pinout for a standard 27c1024 eprom.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Take pictures of the top and bottom of the board where you installed the bios.

Y0-Y23 correspond to A0-A23 on the memory card. They are labeled differently on the diagram for NEO-E0 to differentiate it from the 68k address bus.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
So I checked all off the Y,A and BNK singals all are ok except from A4 which I repaired20200726_115537 (edge).jpg20200726_143255 (edge).jpg20200726_143255 (edge).jpg

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Ok I was bored abnd just wanted to play games. So I screwed everything back together and now it works. Is it possible that it was giving me errors because I didn't screw the cartidge slot down before?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Ok I was bored abnd just wanted to play games. So I screwed everything back together and now it works. Is it possible that it was giving me errors because I didn't screw the cartidge slot down before?
No. As you said, you had it working for a while. I would just redo that wire you jumped if it still gives you problems. You've got quite a bit of extra wire exposed on both ends, and the soldering doesn't look that great.

Overall, it looks like you did a fairly clean job on the bios socket though. The fact that you may only have one broken trace is commendable.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It just looks like the wire on the E0 side needs to be soldered way better.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I'm a bit scared to touch the E0 harder....
I don't blame you. I get my wife to do all the fine-pitched soldering because my eyes can't focus on it, and my hands aren't steady. I have to take a photo with my phone and zoom in to check the work.

Still though, yeah, that soldering doesn't look the greatest. As long as it's already working, it's up to you if you want to try again. If you ever sell this, you'll probably want to make sure it's stabilized.

Edit: I think I've soldered to that chip before. It's not that small. Probably doable.

Last edited:

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I don't blame you. I get my wife to do all the fine-pitched soldering because my eyes can't focus on it, and my hands aren't steady. I have to take a photo with my phone and zoom in to check the work.

Still though, yeah, that soldering doesn't look the greatest. As long as it's already working, it's up to you if you want to try again. If you ever sell this, you'll probably want to make sure it's stabilized.

Edit: I think I've soldered to that chip before. It's not that small. Probably doable.
I'm a self thought solderer and I'm insecure about smd parts. Also this thing stays with me until I die so no problems there. It worked after I put the wire in. But I didn't screw the motherboard down. Afterwards I checked all the pins on the memcard connector (they were all fine what a drag). Afterwards I screwed the aes back together because I wanted to play some games. So I think screwing the card connector down must have given a better connection with the neosavemasta.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
That error is most likely a problem with the bios connection, not the memory card.