Optimal MODE storage recommendations

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Hey all, preordered a MODE when the announcement was made. Looks like it's coming in today, and I wanted to get a recommendation on a slightly bigger storage method, preferably SSD (though if somebody can recommend a solid HDD with excellent compatibility, I wouldn't be opposed).

I've heard that the device can be finicky with various storage media, so wanted to see if anybody had any recommendations. Thanks in advance!

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I’ve been using mine in a Saturn with this HDD:

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB Internal... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H28QRKN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I’ve been using it for about a week and it’s been working great. It tends to get a bit warm but it’s loaded everything from the Redump set I’ve thrown at it so far.

I ordered another MODE for my Dreamcast and ordered the 2tb version to go with that.

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I haven't received mine yet but I bought two of the 2TB Segate BarraCuda's also. I bought two from Staples and the sent me a $25 off $75 on my next order (I'd never bought from them before so ymmv.) So, if you need two- buying one at a time from them may be the cheapest place to get them.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Oh, nice. I've got that same 2TB Barracuda HDD in a PC I recently built. Maybe I'll grab one for use in my Saturn.

Between the original post and now, my MODE was delivered, btw. I see it comes with an extra wire for use with certain HDDs/SSDs. Do you have to use this extra power wire with the Barracuda HDD?

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Oh, nice. I've got that same 2TB Barracuda HDD in a PC I recently built. Maybe I'll grab one for use in my Saturn.

Between the original post and now, my MODE was delivered, btw. I see it comes with an extra wire for use with certain HDDs/SSDs. Do you have to use this extra power wire with the Barracuda HDD?

The extra wire is for powering the Mode in certain model Saturns. I installed it just to be safe. Be sure to read the manual for more info and Terraonion has a couple good install videos too.

I currently have the entire US and Japan Redump sets with the thirty odd PAL exclusives, and some fan translations: and it comes to just under 700GB. So 1TB seems plenty for Saturn.

Have fun!