Thread: Optimal MODE storage recommendations

Azura's Bladesmith

Optimal MODE storage recommendations

Hey all, preordered a MODE when the announcement was made. Looks like it's coming in today, and I wanted to get a recommendation on a slightly bigger storage method, preferably SSD (though if somebody can recommend a solid HDD with excellent compatibility, I wouldn't be opposed).

I've heard that the device can be finicky with various storage media, so wanted to see if anybody had any recommendations. Thanks in advance!
    State of Yo

I have earned the
    right to PM Rot.

Optimal MODE storage recommendations

Iíve been using mine in a Saturn with this HDD:

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB Internal... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H28QRKN...p_mob_ap_share

Iíve been using it for about a week and itís been working great. It tends to get a bit warm but itís loaded everything from the Redump set Iíve thrown at it so far.

I ordered another MODE for my Dreamcast and ordered the 2tb version to go with that.
    Last edited by ChopstickSamurai; 07-21-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Host for Orochi

I haven't received mine yet but I bought two of the 2TB Segate BarraCuda's also. I bought two from Staples and the sent me a $25 off $75 on my next order (I'd never bought from them before so ymmv.) So, if you need two- buying one at a time from them may be the cheapest place to get them.

Azura's Bladesmith
    Oh, nice. I've got that same 2TB Barracuda HDD in a PC I recently built. Maybe I'll grab one for use in my Saturn.

Between the original post and now, my MODE was delivered, btw. I see it comes with an extra wire for use with certain HDDs/SSDs. Do you have to use this extra power wire with the Barracuda HDD?
    State of Yo

I have earned the
    right to PM Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Oh, nice. I've got that same 2TB Barracuda HDD in a PC I recently built. Maybe I'll grab one for use in my Saturn.

Between the original post and now, my MODE was delivered, btw. I see it comes with an extra wire for use with certain HDDs/SSDs. Do you have to use this extra power wire with the Barracuda HDD?
    The extra wire is for powering the Mode in certain model Saturns. I installed it just to be safe. Be sure to read the manual for more info and Terraonion has a couple good install videos too.

I currently have the entire US and Japan Redump sets with the thirty odd PAL exclusives, and some fan translations: and it comes to just under 700GB. So 1TB seems plenty for Saturn.

Have fun!

Thread Information