reproduction "old style" AES controllers from china (aliexpress)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I just swapped out the original buttons for 24mm Seimitsui snap in's. Makes for a much better old style.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Right? I think I paid $90 or $99 for the one original AES stick I use for playing.

I think mine was around 70€, and you can find some for around 60€ even in good condition, if you are lucky and patient.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I really cant stand the steeply angled buttons on the old style stick. They just don't fit my hand well. My main NEO•GEO controller is a bean stick with a balltop pulled from an oldstyle stick fitted on it.

I'm with you. I have massive hands and I've grown to strongly dislike the old style stick. The kidney is worse for me. I need that springy / mechanical feel, spaced out buttons, etc.

I felt silly paying $150 / piece for the retro stockpile ones but they're quite excellent. I gave up the grail search for MAS sticks after 15 years.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I'm with you. I have massive hands and I've grown to strongly dislike the old style stick. The kidney is worse for me. I need that springy / mechanical feel, spaced out buttons, etc.

I felt silly paying $150 / piece for the retro stockpile ones but they're quite excellent. I gave up the grail search for MAS sticks after 15 years.

MAS sticks are pretty easy to replicate, they're just nice big chunky wood. If you want one there's plenty of similar options to do yourself.

I think mine was around 70€, and you can find some for around 60€ even in good condition, if you are lucky and patient.

yeah mine was 90 or 99 after shipping. 70 euros is like 81 USD so we probably paid around the same price for the stick before shipping

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I upgraded one of those NeoGeoX sticks for fun and ya.... The base stick and buttons are garbage. I had to completely change out the buttons on it and the stick itself I tried salvaging by replacing the switches and adding a better spring and some grease. Also throw in the cost of a 15pin cable. Still not as good as a real Neo stick. By the time I was done it cost me well over 150% of the cost of a real Neo stick anyways. Really did it as a project and not to use anyways. Still... It is not worth the investment of time and money of you want to seriously use it.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
MAS sticks are pretty easy to replicate, they're just nice big chunky wood. If you want one there's plenty of similar options to do yourself.

I know that. I just don't feel like doing it. I doubt I'd do as nice of a job. I don't want to steal the work. I'd rather pay the money and get the time than the other way around. I'm know what my time is worth and how much time it would take.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I didn't like it at first until I realized it was designed to use your thumb on the A button, whereas every other joystick it's the index finger.

Now I don't mind it at all.

I tried holding it that way too, and i also am not a fan of using my thumb for the A button.

Mvs cabs generally dont have that steeply abgled layout, why should the home console

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I tried holding it that way too, and i also am not a fan of using my thumb for the A button.

Mvs cabs generally dont have that steeply abgled layout, why should the home console

agreed. I got used to it, i like the overall shape of the rest of the stick a lot so I adapted. But totally get why it wouldn't be comfortable for people.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I modded my bean with 24mm Seimitsu buttons, mechanical start and select buttons, the longer joystick shaft used in the old style stick, and a Seimitsu Keikou balltop. In my opinion, it's now better than my Seimitsu modded old style stick.

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
That looks interesting. I hope they are good quality, so we would just have to make the printings more accurate to get one step closer to making new full in box neos.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
That looks interesting. I hope they are good quality, so we would just have to make the printings more accurate to get one step closer to making new full in box neos.

Ah yes, brand new bootleg Neo Geo consoles. Sounds like the work of someone located in:

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 6.06.08 PM.png

Like others have said, they're crap quality. Why would you need a Chinese knockoff to get "printings" more accurate? Just reference the original...

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member

Way to read the fucking thread idiot