Can these boards be converted?

zed7

n00b
A friend of mine has a bootleg Puzzle Bobble and the boards are PROGGSC and CHA 42G-3.

Is it possible to revert the boot to a conversion of Ghostlop, Ironclad or Crossed Swords 2?

Or, is it a possibility I could/should revert it back to (I believe) Fatal Fury Special?

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
if there are remaining ROM chips of the original game that it used to be, you could repair the boards back to their original form if you know which chips to replace with EPROMs

zed7

n00b
if there are remaining ROM chips of the original game that it used to be, you could repair the boards back to their original form if you know which chips to replace with EPROMs

There seems to be 2 ROM chips on the CHA 42G-3, no original ROM chips on the GSC. 20200714_111351.jpg

What do you propose I should do? If I can either convert it or somehow i guess make a repair conversion of the original game, I'm okay with that. Just not sure which route is more probable.

EDIT: that's the photo he sent me, sorry for the blur

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
There is nothing remaining on the boards that could be salvaged to make it "original."

zed7

n00b
There is nothing remaining on the boards that could be salvaged to make it "original."

I assumed as much. Hence why I was curious if it is possible with these boards to make a Ghostlop/Crossed Swords 2 or Ironclad. I know with a BK1 and 512Y you can, but no idea with these ones.

Based on MVS-Scans, only conversion is digger-man that has a match to the boards, but that game doesn't look that... good. Maybe the gameplay outweighs the graphics

zed7

n00b
Any of those titles can be made with the boards you have.

Thank you for the advice! I would assume I have to move some components on the board like resistors, etc. is there a guide for where they need to be placed/moved?

*and where EPROMs need to be placed.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Thank you for the advice! I would assume I have to move some components on the board like resistors, etc. is there a guide for where they need to be placed/moved?

*and where EPROMs need to be placed.
You don't move resistors; just jumpers.

zed7

n00b
Thank you all for the help. Did some more research and my last main question is, how can I find the max size for the EPROMs that can go on the board? NG Dev Wiki does not display max C, P and V ROMs for the boards in question. Just need to know if it needs to be split and how many times.

The only ROM I have right now on my PC, Crossed Swords 2, is a 2048 KB V1, 2048 P1, and C1/C2 is 4096 each.