Installing a volume knob??

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
So i need to add a volume knob in front of a single speaker. I am trying to make it as simple as possible. I don't need the volume to go up, just to be dialed down.
I read one thing that said...

Take the two wires going to the speaker, cut, strip, etc. the ends. You have 3 pins on the pot. The speaker wires go to pin 2 and 3 while the other two coming off the board go to 1 and 3. They said to use a 500k pot.

My question...does this sound right?

If what it is on matters, it's the speaker in the most annoying kids claw game my daughter just picked up, lol. I thought about a simple on/off switch, but i wanted to give this a shot first.

Thanks!

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
So i need to add a volume knob in front of a single speaker. I am trying to make it as simple as possible. I don't need the volume to go up, just to be dialed down.
I read one thing that said...

Take the two wires going to the speaker, cut, strip, etc. the ends. You have 3 pins on the pot. The speaker wires go to pin 2 and 3 while the other two coming off the board go to 1 and 3. They said to use a 500k pot.

My question...does this sound right?

If what it is on matters, it's the speaker in the most annoying kids claw game my daughter just picked up, lol. I thought about a simple on/off switch, but i wanted to give this a shot first.

Thanks!

Yup a variable resistor in series with the speaker will work, Not the best way of doing it but probably the cheapest and easiest.

Does the actual machine not have any volume control? They usually have something either hardware or software wise.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I assumed this thread would be a 1970s wife joke.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
It's this screaming monster isn't it...

RGFp9LR.jpg

I too need to install one, I've got the pot just need the time. Luckily I make them play with it on the carpet so it muffles the sound a bit but not enough...

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Yup a variable resistor in series with the speaker will work, Not the best way of doing it but probably the cheapest and easiest.

Does the actual machine not have any volume control? They usually have something either hardware or software wise.

Cool, thanks! There isn't a volume switch and this thing is loud! Lol. What would be a better way of doing it? Easy and cheap will probably be the route I go, but I'm just curious.

It's this screaming monster isn't it...

RGFp9LR.jpg

I too need to install one, I've got the pot just need the time. Luckily I make them play with it on the carpet so it muffles the sound a bit but not enough...

Lmao! Yes, that is it. I put packaging tape and folded paper towels over the speaker area and that helps a bit when it is on the table, but the sound is still heard throughout the house.

I was hoping I could just put in one of these and be done. If not, I'm just going to put an on/off switch in between the speakers and the board.

41xwdLUu8hL._AC_SY400_.jpg

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
To be fair it looks pretty small so I am guessing not much room in there!

So Yeah I would just put the pot in :p

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Easiest and cheapest is to cut the wires, no sound!

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
To be fair it looks pretty small so I am guessing not much room in there!

So Yeah I would just put the pot in :p

It's 14x10x6 and even with being small, there's a decent amount of space in it. Still, it's a $30 amazon kids toy. Not looking to put that much money into it. :)

Easiest and cheapest is to cut the wires, no sound!

Haha, very true! My daughter likes the sound and soldering 4 wires and drilling a hole shouldn't be too bad.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
So i installed it just like I wrote above, but it didn't turn out like I thought it would. All of the volume adjustment is in the first quarter of a turn. I pretty much get, full sound, 3/4 sound, and 1/10 sound and then the rest of the dial just just more off. Any thoughts?