Is it possible to have a bootleg copy done in a factory or no?

Teluin

New Challenger
I have an ST-V game with soldering not done by hand. I have seen others online with the same thing saying it might be a bootleg but they weren't sure. There are not eproms on the board, but it doesn't have the SEGA label as well. Was this a common practice to do? I thought they were really just done by hand tbh. The carts even have a label on them when they were done stamped on the front of the cartridge.

I guess just wondering whether or not it possible that certain games were done in their own countries - kinda like Korean MVS games.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I have an ST-V game with soldering not done by hand. I have seen others online with the same thing saying it might be a bootleg but they weren't sure. There are not eproms on the board, but it doesn't have the SEGA label as well. Was this a common practice to do? I thought they were really just done by hand tbh. The carts even have a label on them when they were done stamped on the front of the cartridge.

I guess just wondering whether or not it possible that certain games were done in their own countries - kinda like Korean MVS games.
It could be a factory repair, SNK did these a lot as well.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Factory soldered bootlegs are common for some systems. MVS and Atomiswave, for example. No idea about ST-V but I assume that'd be the case as well.

Teluin

New Challenger
Thanks guys. I wish these things were as well documented as the NG games.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, factory-soldered bootlegs are normal. Just because a game is fake doesn't mean someone did it by hand at home with their soldering iron. These seem to have been at least semi-sophisticated bootleg operations in some countries.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
It's super easy these days to get custom circuit boards manufactured. I would assume the factories don't care about copyright, and would gladly build bootleg game cartridges if you ordered them.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's no wonder SNKP called it quits on the Neo. By the time SNK vs Capcom was released, the bootlegging operations were so sophisticated that the bootleggers basically beat SNKP to market with their own manufactured SVC Chaos carts while the game was still dedicated PCB only in Japan.