Thread: Is it possible to have a bootleg copy done in a factory or no?

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Is it possible to have a bootleg copy done in a factory or no?

I have an ST-V game with soldering not done by hand. I have seen others online with the same thing saying it might be a bootleg but they weren't sure. There are not eproms on the board, but it doesn't have the SEGA label as well. Was this a common practice to do? I thought they were really just done by hand tbh. The carts even have a label on them when they were done stamped on the front of the cartridge.

I guess just wondering whether or not it possible that certain games were done in their own countries - kinda like Korean MVS games.

Cholecystectomy Required.

Quote Originally Posted by Teluin View Post
    I have an ST-V game with soldering not done by hand. I have seen others online with the same thing saying it might be a bootleg but they weren't sure. There are not eproms on the board, but it doesn't have the SEGA label as well. Was this a common practice to do? I thought they were really just done by hand tbh. The carts even have a label on them when they were done stamped on the front of the cartridge.

I guess just wondering whether or not it possible that certain games were done in their own countries - kinda like Korean MVS games.
    It could be a factory repair, SNK did these a lot as well.
    "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul."
    Switch FC 0965 2531 6217
    http://backloggery.com/ggallegos1/sig.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by ObeyMyEgo View Post
    ggallegos1 Is a cock sucking faggot. That is all.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.

Factory soldered bootlegs are common for some systems. MVS and Atomiswave, for example. No idea about ST-V but I assume that'd be the case as well.

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Thanks guys. I wish these things were as well documented as the NG games.

Yeah, factory-soldered bootlegs are normal. Just because a game is fake doesn't mean someone did it by hand at home with their soldering iron. These seem to have been at least semi-sophisticated bootleg operations in some countries.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

I asked for a
    Custom Rank and
    Learned My Lesson.

It's super easy these days to get custom circuit boards manufactured. I would assume the factories don't care about copyright, and would gladly build bootleg game cartridges if you ordered them.
    I turned off signatures. So should you.

It's no wonder SNKP called it quits on the Neo. By the time SNK vs Capcom was released, the bootlegging operations were so sophisticated that the bootleggers basically beat SNKP to market with their own manufactured SVC Chaos carts while the game was still dedicated PCB only in Japan.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

Thread Information