Movie infringed on SNK Mai Shiranui design - China.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/07/movie-infringed-on-snks-mai-shiranui-design-says-chinese-court/

In 2018, the movie Warrior Angels was released in China. It’s a fantasy comedy with characters, like above, that certainly resemble iconic those from The King of Fighters. Now, a court in Beijing ruled that the movie violated SNK’s copyright.

Via IMDB, here is the movie’s summary:

Qiao Fan can’t control her power. After she is attacked by an unknown assassin, she is forced to avenge her father. She transforms into a “red clad woman” [SIC]. Faced with a more mysterious evil force, Qiao Fan is about to challenge an incredible journey of revenge.
According to J-Cast, a Beijing court awarded SNK China the equivalent of $US111,500 ($160,549) in damages and ordered that the movie must be pulled from distribution. The ruling, however, is being appealed.

SNK was acquired by a group of Chinese companies in 2015, and its fighting games have been very popular in the country.

As you can see below, the movie’s “red-clad woman” doesn’t only look inspired by Mai Shirainui’s design, but rather, Mai Shiranui cosplay.

It’s not just Mai. As Sohu also reports, Warrior Angels also features characters that resemble other SNK designs from The King of Fighters ‘97 and ‘98, such as Chang Koehan, minus the beard and Benimaru Nikaido with worse hair and fewer muscles.

There’s even one character in the movie that resembles Choi Bounge, who originally appeared to take design cues from Freddy Krueger. Maybe this Warrior Angels character did, too?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
"says chinese court"????

Being a Chinese owned company really pays sometimes. lol if SNK was japanese and was trying to shut that movie down in the same manner.

edit: 2d master speaks truth

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
If said movie does not show her tits, it's an abomination.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don’t know what dimension I’m in, but this feels like the wrong one.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
When did China start caring about copyright infringement?

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Its not a traditional outfit then?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Dead or Alive stole that design back in 1996 (for the most part)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
SNK was acquired by a group of Chinese companies in 2015

I read this sentence, closed my laptop, stared out the window and took a long sip of coffee. It's just not right, dammit.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I read this sentence, closed my laptop, stared out the window and took a long sip of coffee. It's just not right, dammit.

lonesage we don't have to take this shit, this injustice.

it's time to rise up.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Well with fire moves and winpose...I think they did..whoever snk is is right.

LadyVamp

Camel Slug
lmfao, I love how it was all copied with absolutely no shame.

I would watch it, though, tbh

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I got cast in a Chinese movie, I'm having a bit part as The Bodyguard, shooting starts August 1st, if anyone wants me to mimic anything SNK characters do let me know

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I got cast in a Chinese movie, I'm having a bit part as The Bodyguard, shooting starts August 1st, if anyone wants me to mimic anything SNK characters do let me know

Going off recent observations why don't you mimic Cheng Sinzan?