Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 94

Thread: The ideal 6 slot neo geo lineup?

  1. #26
    DOLLARS TRILOGY SUPERFAN

    "There are two types of people in the world... those with admin powers and those who dont. I DON'T"
    SouthtownKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA

    Posts
    23,155
    Quote Originally Posted by bulbousbeard View Post
    Would rather play Gunstar Heroes or Contra 3 over any Neo Metal Slug. Metal Slug's gameplay needs a redo. Doesn't help that it runs at 5fps.
    Your mom runs at 5fps

  2. #27
    King's Dry Cleaner
    Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Your trash can

    Posts
    383
    Metal Slug X
    Kof 2002
    Puzzle Bobble
    Neo Turf Masters
    Shock Troopers
    Neo Mr. Do
    Last edited by Evan; 07-06-2020 at 02:10 PM.
    Alright, back again with THE IMMORTAL JOHN HANCOCK

  3. #28
    King's Dry Cleaner

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SC

    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthtownKid View Post
    Your mom runs at 5fps
    You're a your.

  4. #29
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    16,541
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthtownKid View Post
    Your mom runs at 5fps
    That's 3.4 miles per hour, she can't too fat then.

  5. #30
    Big Bang Pro Wrestler
    cr8zykuban0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    viva las vegas!

    Posts
    1,032
    My choices would be
    Ultimate 11
    Kof 98
    Blazing star
    Metal slug
    Bubble bobble
    Top hunter

  6. #31
    ForeverSublime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    San Francisco

    Posts
    6,358
    Quote Originally Posted by bulbousbeard View Post
    Everyone's going to feel pressure to include Metal Slug "just because" but here's the reality about those games: the gameplay in them blows and could be massively improved,
    Hot take. Expand? I'm more interested to hear your ideas on improvements, but if you want to throw in some specifics on what blows, I'm down to read that, too.

  7. #32
    Haomaru's Blade Shiner
    MidnightMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO

    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by bulbousbeard View Post
    Would rather play Gunstar Heroes or Contra 3 over any Neo Metal Slug. Metal Slug's gameplay needs a redo. Doesn't help that it runs at 5fps.
    Slowdown on 1 wasn't bad. 2 Turbo is way, WAY better than OG 2. Contra sucks. Gunstar Heroes is legit though. I'm a Sunset Riders fan, myself.

  8. #33
    H = Heinously
    M = Massive
    G = Gonad
    HMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    4,713
    My hot take is that Metal Slug 1 isn't as good as the sequels, it feels too plain and the controls feel stiff and unresponsive at times. I will even play Metal Slug 2 OG and Metal Slug 4 over the first one.

    Uh, maybe the one exception is Metal Slug 5. It's fine in every way except the music. It sounds so horrible and dampens the whole experience. Metal Slug 1 at least has really nice music.

    2T > 3 > X = 4 > 2OG > 1 > 5

  9. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Up his own arse.

    Posts
    3,264
    Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Uh, maybe the one exception is Metal Slug 5. It's fine in every way except the music. It sounds so horrible and dampens the whole experience. Metal Slug 1 at least has really nice music.
    I dont think Metal Slug 5's gameplay is really that good. I hate that thing where you get fat and walk slow, and the level design is very lackluster IMO. Slug 1's music and level design is very memorable and fun to play. I dont find the controls to be a problem. X and 1 are my favorites. oh, and i also really dislike turning into a zombie in metal slug 3. it's just annoying and not fun, just like that fat ass mechanic in 5.

  10. #35
    H = Heinously
    M = Massive
    G = Gonad
    HMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    4,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Urethra Chode View Post
    I dont think Metal Slug 5's gameplay is really that good. I hate that thing where you get fat and walk slow, and the level design is very lackluster IMO. Slug 1's music and level design is very memorable and fun to play. I dont find the controls to be a problem. X and 1 are my favorites. oh, and i also really dislike turning into a zombie in metal slug 3. it's just annoying and not fun, just like that fat ass mechanic in 5.
    The fat mode is also in 2 and X. I don't remember it in 3. You do know the zombie mode has a giant zombie barf attack in place of the grenade, right? In some sections it's almost encouraged to take advantage of that attack to clear certain screens.

  11. #36
    King's Dry Cleaner

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SC

    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSublime View Post
    Hot take. Expand? I'm more interested to hear your ideas on improvements, but if you want to throw in some specifics on what blows, I'm down to read that, too.
    Would anyone care about Metal Slug if the gameplay was the same but it looked like Gunstar Heroes?

    Face it. The game is only a thing because of the great art. That's all it has going for it.

    The movement is literally sluggish and boring. You can't shoot diagonally. The normal weapon attack is so bad that the game feels like shit unless you have a powerup, so it's got the Gradius/Raiden problem of your character feeling like shit unless it's powered up somehow, which is awful. The prisoner system reinforces this. If you do everything perfectly and never die it feels good. Die once, lose everything, feel like shit.

    Enemy patterns/scripts are simplistic and dull. Characters have a moveset so basic it's not much different than an 80s game. Games like Gunstar Heroes actually took the formula forward with slides, wall jumps, throws, blocks, and other mechanics.

    Level design is incredibly basic. What distinguishes Contra games from pure shmups is that they're a platformer/shmup hybrid. The level design and platforming should actually matter. They don't in Metal Slug. You basically move forward along a floor and that's it. There's no wall scaling, no climbing, no jungle gyming, nothing. It's just the most standard walk and jump junk. The horizontal and vertical shooter sections of Metal Slug 3 are pretty revealing because it's completely analogous to how that developer designed the Contra clone part of the game. Look at how basic they are. There's no nuance or anything interesting going on. Just the most vanilla implementation with great art.

    Metal Slug feels like a remake of an 80s game with AAA art, basically.

  12. #37
    King's Dry Cleaner

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SC

    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMonkey View Post
    Slowdown on 1 wasn't bad. 2 Turbo is way, WAY better than OG 2. Contra sucks. Gunstar Heroes is legit though. I'm a Sunset Riders fan, myself.
    Contra 3 does not suck. The game is incredibly well paced and the levels/platforming SUCCULENTLY designed. The Metal Slug guys weren't fit to wipe 90s Konami's ass level design wise.

  13. #38
    DOLLARS TRILOGY SUPERFAN

    "There are two types of people in the world... those with admin powers and those who dont. I DON'T"
    SouthtownKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA

    Posts
    23,155
    Quote Originally Posted by bulbousbeard View Post
    Contra 3 does not suck. The game is incredibly well paced and the levels/platforming SUCCULENTLY designed. The Metal Slug guys weren't fit to wipe 90s Konami's ass level design wise.
    You're entitled to your shitty opinion. Even if it makes you sound like a drooling imbecile.

  14. #39
    King's Dry Cleaner

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SC

    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthtownKid View Post
    You're entitled to your shitty opinion. Even if it makes you sound like a drooling imbecile.
    Yeah because it's such a fringe opinion to hold. Contra 3 is really unpopular and people hate it. You're about as dumb as a sack of bricks.

  15. #40
    Geese's Limo Driver
    titchgamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom

    Posts
    1,703
    Slug does have diagonal aiming but only with the HMG and the slugs.
    I think the point was to make life easier if you have the power ups but punish you if you lost them.

    Anyway I love the slug series, Its one of my fave neo games and one of the few run and guns I actually enjoy.
    The controls are fine the only gripe I had was the slow down in 2 but turbo fixed that.

    The game has some fun humour and is fun to play through with a friend, There is a reason its a popular game even if you dont like it plenty of others do.

    And considering this is a thread to be looked at from a operators POV it would be foolish to not include it in the line up.

  16. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Up his own arse.

    Posts
    3,264
    Quote Originally Posted by titchgamer View Post
    And considering this is a thread to be looked at from a operators POV it would be foolish to not include it in the line up.
    My thoughts exactly. The metal slug series is one of the most recognizable NEO•GEO games to casuals. Probably even more so than KOF (which is not a very casual friendly game at all, too many characters and moves)

    Out of all NEO•GEO games i hear non hardcore gamers talk about, i probably hear metal slug, samurai shodown, and perhaps baseball stars the most. Oh and the early AES pack-ins like magician lord and NAM-1975.

    Overall i think a metal slug game would bring in the most quarters. I can see a customer being initially attracted by a metal slug game, then want to try out another game like a Sonic Wings title or Magical Drop or perhaps even Nightmare in the Dark after they are done playing slug... but Slug has to be there first to draw the attention

  17. #42
    Armored Scrum Object
    MetalSlugVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Arizona

    Posts
    258
    If it wasn’t for the metal slug series I never would of gotten into owning or collecting for the Neo geo, I’m sure many other people where sucked in by metal slug and I believe it’s a big part of why the Neo geo still has a cult following. It may not be everyone’s favorite series but it’s hard to take someone seriously who says the games are really bad and unworthy of their legendary status.
    Last edited by MetalSlugVet; 07-07-2020 at 05:59 AM.

  18. #43
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    16,541
    MetalSlugVet you're going to have a hard time not coming off as biased in this argument but I agree completely. Most people who like video games have heard of or played Metal Slug before.

    The same team made Neo Turf Masters and they literally turned the most boring fucking sport game into an addictive winner of a title.

  19. #44
    King's Dry Cleaner

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SC

    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalSlugVet View Post
    If it wasn’t for the metal slug series I never would of gotten into owning or collecting for the Neo geo, I’m sure many other people where sucked in by metal slug and I believe it’s a big part of why the Neo geo still has a cult following. It may not be everyone’s favorite series but it’s hard to take someone seriously who says the games are really bad and unworthy of their legendary status.
    The art in them is legendary. The gameplay isn't.

  20. #45
    Super Spy Agent
    redfield0009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dallas

    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalSlugVet View Post
    If it wasn’t for the metal slug series I never would of gotten into owning or collecting for the Neo geo, I’m sure many other people where sucked in by metal slug and I believe it’s a big part of why the Neo geo still has a cult following. It may not be everyone’s favorite series but it’s hard to take someone seriously who says the games are really bad and unworthy of their legendary status.
    I agree 100 percent. The Metal Slug series on the Neo Geo is amazing and it drew me into the Neo Geo. Anyone can play these games and have fun.

    I enjoy that the series isn't contra, or gunstar or any of that shit. People that complain about gameplay are just salty because they never hear "You're Great!" at the end of a level.
    http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1130/blastcitylogo.jpg

  21. #46
    ForeverSublime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    San Francisco

    Posts
    6,358
    Quote Originally Posted by bulbousbeard View Post
    Would anyone care about Metal Slug if the gameplay was the same but it looked like Gunstar Heroes?

    Face it. The game is only a thing because of the great art. That's all it has going for it.

    The movement is literally sluggish and boring. You can't shoot diagonally. The normal weapon attack is so bad that the game feels like shit unless you have a powerup, so it's got the Gradius/Raiden problem of your character feeling like shit unless it's powered up somehow, which is awful. The prisoner system reinforces this. If you do everything perfectly and never die it feels good. Die once, lose everything, feel like shit.

    Enemy patterns/scripts are simplistic and dull. Characters have a moveset so basic it's not much different than an 80s game. Games like Gunstar Heroes actually took the formula forward with slides, wall jumps, throws, blocks, and other mechanics.

    Level design is incredibly basic. What distinguishes Contra games from pure shmups is that they're a platformer/shmup hybrid. The level design and platforming should actually matter. They don't in Metal Slug. You basically move forward along a floor and that's it. There's no wall scaling, no climbing, no jungle gyming, nothing. It's just the most standard walk and jump junk. The horizontal and vertical shooter sections of Metal Slug 3 are pretty revealing because it's completely analogous to how that developer designed the Contra clone part of the game. Look at how basic they are. There's no nuance or anything interesting going on. Just the most vanilla implementation with great art.

    Metal Slug feels like a remake of an 80s game with AAA art, basically.
    Yeah, those gameplay issues sound like they stem from the idea prototyped that you controlled Metal Slug and not Macro/Tarma, if that were the idea all along. Maybe it would have been like Speed Rumbler or The Great Ragtime Show, where if your initial vehicle got smashed you could jump into a new one, or maybe it'd be like a land-based In The Hunt - neither of which would make us relate Slug to Contra at first glance.

    Honestly, I didn't spend much time with Gunstar. Gunstar, like a lot of non-shmup Treasure games, was pretty easy to consume ("beat"). So, I sort of did that and shelved it outside of showing it off to friends. I may have cheated myself by abusing the homing shot, though I very much enjoyed the experience and think of the game fondly. I have no idea what the points system is like and I'm not typically a points guy to begin with, but in Metal Slug, knifing guys gives you 3x more points than shooting them - knifing being Metal Slug's close quarters analog to Gunstar's throwing mechanism.

    The prisoners were just bonuses to me - but I liked the mechanism. All players got an immediate reward of a pickup from them, but the better players got points bonuses at the end of a level. All players got rescue totals counted toward their end of game marks. They were a way of tracking progress beyond score or lives. It's a mechanism that seemed to do the right things for players of different skill levels. Yeah, you felt bad to have a bunch of them and then lose them toward your end of level bonus if you died - but that also meant that one cared about and payed attention to their progress. Personally, without those mechanisms, sometimes I just don't care about my character's well being. It doesn't have to be about the lack of penalties, but the lack of incentives as well. Does that matter? Like I said, I enjoyed Gunstar without incentives. Do I really need these little gizmos messing with my psychology and taking up more of my time? Maybe it's only to defend that Slug may not be about controls or level design, but that doesn't mean there's a lack of game play.

    It's funny. When the controls changed and Slug 5 introduced sliding, there were a lot of opinions about how un-Metal Slug that was. The 80's style controls were engrained as a mark of the franchise.
    Last edited by ForeverSublime; 07-08-2020 at 02:26 AM.

  22. #47
    King's Dry Cleaner

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SC

    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSublime View Post
    Yeah, those gameplay issues sound like they stem from the idea prototyped that you controlled Metal Slug and not Macro/Tarma, if that were the idea all along. Maybe it would have been like Speed Rumbler or The Great Ragtime Show, where if your initial vehicle got smashed you could jump into a new one, or maybe it'd be like a land-based In The Hunt - neither of which would make us relate Slug to Contra at first glance.

    Honestly, I didn't spend much time with Gunstar. Gunstar, like a lot of non-shmup Treasure games, was pretty easy to consume ("beat"). So, I sort of did that and shelved it outside of showing it off to friends. I may have cheated myself by abusing the homing shot, though I very much enjoyed the experience and think of the game fondly. I have no idea what the points system is like and I'm not typically a points guy to begin with, but in Metal Slug, knifing guys gives you 3x more points than shooting them - knifing being Metal Slug's close quarters analog to Gunstar's throwing mechanism.

    The prisoners were just bonuses to me - but I liked the mechanism. All players got an immediate reward of a pickup from them, but the better players got points bonuses at the end of a level. All players got rescue totals counted toward their end of game marks. They were a way of tracking progress beyond score or lives. It's a mechanism that seemed to do the right things for players of different skill levels. Yeah, you felt bad to have a bunch of them and then lose them toward your end of level bonus if you died - but that also meant that one cared about and payed attention to their progress. Personally, without those mechanisms, sometimes I just don't care about my character's well being. It doesn't have to be about the lack of penalties, but the lack of incentives as well. Does that matter? Like I said, I enjoyed Gunstar. Do I really need these little gizmos messing with my psychology and taking up more of my time? Maybe it's only to defend that the game may not be about controls or level design, but that doesn't mean there's a lack of game play.

    It's funny. When the controls changed and Slug 5 introduced sliding, there were a lot of opinions about how un-Metal Slug that was. The 80's style controls were engrained as a mark of the franchise.
    That's very interesting. I didn't know that it started off just being a vehicle game. But see, isn't that a problem? Without even knowing that, something feels off about the games. It FEELS like it was something that was repurposed halfway through instead of actually being a nice design.

    That's fine. It's a showcase game and has good art. It gets quarters. I'm just saying that I think it has crappy gameplay. I don't play games for scores or points. I play games that are fun to play.

  23. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Up his own arse.

    Posts
    3,264
    I like how the prisoners in metal slug are referred to as “recaptured prisoners” instead of “rescued prisoners”

    It’s kinda fucked up lol

  24. #49
    Beast Buster

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Louis

    Posts
    2,112
    1. MOTW
    2. Metal Slug
    3. Baseball Stars 2
    4. Samurai Showdown II
    5. SVC Chaos
    6. King of Fighters 2002

  25. #50

    Neo Alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    8,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Urethra Chode View Post
    I like how the prisoners in metal slug are referred to as “recaptured prisoners” instead of “rescued prisoners”

    It’s kinda fucked up lol
    No, that's just English, meaning to "recover." Pretty sure it's normal military speak.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •