Sony to buy Leyou Technologies

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Sony Weighs Bid for Hong Kong-Listed Gaming Firm Leyou

Sony Corp. is weighing a bid for Leyou Technologies Holdings Ltd., people familiar with the matter said, paving the way for an intensified bidding war for the Hong Kong-listed gaming firm.

The Japanese tech giant is working with a financial adviser on the potential offer for Leyou, said the people, asking not to be identified because the matter is private. In May, the Chinese gaming firm confirmed it had received a non-binding takeover offer from Shenzhen-listed rival Zhejiang Century Huatong Group Co., after months of buyout talks with other bidders including iDreamSky Technology Holdings Ltd.

Shares of Leyou extended their gains to as much as 9.8% after the Bloomberg News report. The stock has risen about 20% this year, giving the company a market value of about $1.1 billion.
Leyou extends gains after Sony is said to weigh bid for the gaming firm

Leyou’s controlling shareholder Charles Yuk had been in talks with iDreamSky for a majority stake sale since late last year. iDreamSky, which counts Tencent Holdings Ltd. among its investors, had been in discussions with CVC Capital Partners for a joint offer valuing Leyou at about $1.23 billion but the Covid-19 pandemic brought their talks to a stalemate, Bloomberg News reported in April.

Sony is hoping that it can edge out other bidders with greater certainty of financing, the people said. Leyou’s Yuk aims to choose a buyer and sign an agreement as soon as this month, the people said.

Talks are still ongoing and no final decision has been made, the people said. Other bidders could still emerge, they said. Representatives for Leyou and Sony declined to comment.

Leyou was listed in Hong Kong in 2011 and counts among its titles the free shooting games Warframe and Dirty Bomb. It’s also working with Amazon.com Inc. to co-produce a video game based on the popular fantasy series “The Lord of the Rings,” according to its website.

Sony has recently been aiming to beef up its content arsenal as the tech giant’s chief executive officer Kenichiro Yoshida believes that would in turn strengthen the value of its branded consumer electronics hardware. That includes PlayStation 5, the new video game console that the company plans to launch at the end of this year.

Leyou’s Warframe is already available on PlayStation 4 and the company has said in its latest earnings report that it plans to expand the game to more platforms including the next-generation consoles.

Source

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Beat me to the post by 6 minutes lol. If this happens then the Neo Geo 3 is most likely dead.

It would be nice to see SNK back in the hands of a Japanese company and away from the Chinese mobile bullshit.

Hopefully SNK will get a bigger budget and we could see some cool exclusives for the PS5. Fingers crossed for Garou 2

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
"Sony to release PS5-based arcade hardware with SSD cartridges, named Neo-Geo 3".

What was the "neo-geo 2" again?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
"Sony to release PS5-based arcade hardware with SSD cartridges, named Neo-Geo 3".

What was the "neo-geo 2" again?

Imagine waking up from a coma? Donald Fucking Trump is president, there's a worldwide plague, and a Neo•Geo THREE.

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Arcade cabs made from a console. How arcade cabs have fallen!

Overall though, I hope Sony make this deal.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Between those two choices, maybe. But remembering how Sony treated SNK during the PSX era, eh, maybe not.

Weren't they in quasi-competition then, though? I think if Sony has access to IP we stand a much better chance at receiving some decently produced titles, even if subsidiarily.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
"I made this mistake too.

Leyou Technologies is not Ledo Millenium. Ledo is not a subsidiary of Leyou. Additionally, 37Games is the majority owner of SNK as of 2015, owning an 81% stake in the company."

https://twitter.com/HBJohnXuandou/status/1279257711926849537

Don't know if true, but I also remember Leyou Technologies being the Chinese company that bought Kawasaki's SNK share.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
They will probably spend 6 to 7 years making a Riding Hero 2.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
From what I gather Sony are mainly interested in purchasing leyou to get a stake in Digital Extemes who made Warframe and Gears Tactical who I had never heard of but make some TBS game thats based on the GOW franchise.

Dont think that Leyou has anything to do with SNK though?

I am interested by this story though as I wonder what Sony wants to do with DE especially (as I am a big warframe fan) and Also how MS will take them buying a studio that makes one of their exclusives.

What I do know is Leyou is in dire straights and wants a buyer ASAP.

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
take my word for imma money-launder-buy them before anyone.