SSD3: anyone else have issues with ACD games?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I posted up on Terraonion but god only knows when they'll have time to address.

Every single arcade card game suddenly started fucking up and giving me garbles gfx. They used to run fine.

I obviously don't use in-game trigger...I have a Core2 w/OG PSU, blah blah. I'm not a moron when it comes to this stuff. I have a very nice Sandisk Ultra Plus MicroSD...I've reformatted and tested another SD card with the same specs - I've even got a backup PCE system I've tested on along with multiple PSU's I've tested. Same results.

My conclusion is the RAM used for ACD is somehow fucked? I dunno'...everything else works fine, but when a sprite or code needs to access that RAM, it tosses back corrupt junk.

REALLY hoping I don't have to send it back as that sounds like a black hole from whence my system shall never return.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
As I mentioned over there, we will address it as soon as we have a chance to.

In the meantime, drop us an email: support (at) terraonion.com with all the details of the issue, serial number and etc.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
As I mentioned over there, we will address it as soon as we have a chance to.

In the meantime, drop us an email: support (at) terraonion.com with all the details of the issue, serial number and etc.

Will do man, thanks for hitting me up over here too. I know plenty of us on here have an SSD3, so I thought I'd widen the scope of eyeballs ;)

edit: lol

lolz.png

Last edited:

TonySwish

n00b
There was a thread about this on the TO forum, but it has been closed so I figured this is a good thread to continue conversation on this issue.

Mine all of a sudden stopped playing Arcade CD games so I returned it to Stone Age Gamer for a replacement unit (they have awesome customer service and took care of me ASAP). My replacement unit came and it has the exact same issue with Arcade CD games. At least with Sapphire I can get to about the 7th level before it completely freezes, while the SNK games won't get much farther than the beginning of a battle.

I hope they can figure out a fix as it's the only issue that's keeping me tethered to an old PC Engine Duo. It wasn't a good sign that both units I have had the exact same problem.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Sounds like a defective unit. I would have them test and swap out if needed.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
There was a thread about this on the TO forum, but it has been closed so I figured this is a good thread to continue conversation on this issue.

Mine all of a sudden stopped playing Arcade CD games so I returned it to Stone Age Gamer for a replacement unit (they have awesome customer service and took care of me ASAP). My replacement unit came and it has the exact same issue with Arcade CD games. At least with Sapphire I can get to about the 7th level before it completely freezes, while the SNK games won't get much farther than the beginning of a battle.

I hope they can figure out a fix as it's the only issue that's keeping me tethered to an old PC Engine Duo. It wasn't a good sign that both units I have had the exact same problem.

Two units with he same issue to me sounds like a pc-engine with a noisy bus. As has been previously discussed here there are certain systems that don't play nice with arcade card games because the timing is so precise that and extra noise on the bus throws it off. Likely neither unit is defective and you just unfortunately have a problematic pc-engine.

TonySwish

n00b
Two units with he same issue to me sounds like a pc-engine with a noisy bus. As has been previously discussed here there are certain systems that don't play nice with arcade card games because the timing is so precise that and extra noise on the bus throws it off. Likely neither unit is defective and you just unfortunately have a problematic pc-engine.

It's actually a TG-16 unit.

I have an extra CoreGrafx 2 unit in storage, I'm going to have to dig that out and test it.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
For what it's worth, I've only ever used my SSDS3 with a Core Grafx II, and I've never encountered this issue. May be worth a shot.