IGS PGM/Color issue/No Red

CHAOS 0187

n00b
Hello. So I fired up my PGM today and noticed that I was missing the color red. On the screen, I can see blue and green but the color red is missing giving the game a bluish and green tint. I checked the RGB on the test pattern screen and the red bar is blacked out. I cleaned the contacts, checked the boards, tried it on another SG, tried in on the Big Red cab and nothing. Same result. I checked the traces and they all looked fine. Anyone here has had that issue? Any help would be appreciated.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Do any of your superguns have RGB pots that can be adjusted by chance?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Could be the caps, but double check your jamma connector first. I've had cases where I thought the colors were out on some of my boards, but it turned out to just be a cheap jamma harness on my supergun not making a good connection to some of the pins.

I started to figure it out when I noticed that all my boards missing colors were missing the same color, and the problem would come and go.

CHAOS 0187

n00b
Could be the caps, but double check your jamma connector first. I've had cases where I thought the colors were out on some of my boards, but it turned out to just be a cheap jamma harness on my supergun not making a good connection to some of the pins.

I started to figure it out when I noticed that all my boards missing colors were missing the same color, and the problem would come and go.

My CPS2 and MVS boards look great with no missing colors. I ordered up another PGM mobo since they are pretty inexpensive to see if it's the board. I was thinking maybe a trace or a cap but the traces look fine. The caps are not lose.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
My CPS2 and MVS boards look great with no missing colors. I ordered up another PGM mobo since they are pretty inexpensive to see if it's the board. I was thinking maybe a trace or a cap but the traces look fine. The caps are not lose.

The caps in these are terrible and extremely prone to failure. Console5 sells a cap kit for it. Wouldn't hurt to swap em all out.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I had the same issue several years back, it was due to the battery leaking...

CHAOS 0187

n00b
I had the same issue several years back, it was due to the battery leaking...

I checked the battery. It has a coin cell holder there. No leaking. I just got the caps in today. I'll replace them when I have a chance and post an update soon.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Keep in mind only 2-3 PGM motherboards came with a coin cell battery mod iirc. I believe revision 14 is the one that has it officially.

What this means is that these were installed afterwards, probably after the battery cum cannoned everywhere and leaked. I doubt most chinese operators cared to clean it up properly since pgm motherboards are plentiful over there.

A lot of these boards were not treated well from my experience and have tons of hours.So If I were you I would inspect around that area and check for cold solder joints (relatively common) and damage. . The capacitors they use are also low quality and prone to bulging/leaking.

Last edited: