Dumb question about a MV-1A board and test switch

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I picked up a single slot board many months ago to use as a backup in an empty cabinet. I noticed the test button wasn't working and assumed it was an issue with the cab and not the board (the MV1A is the only standard JAMMA board I have currently that requires a test button, the rest have dips).

I finally got off my ass and started to look into it this past week and see that it's an issue not with the cab, but the board itself.

MVS.jpg

Pin 15 dead ends and goes nowhere. This is the only MV1A I've ever owned, is this normal? Is there a point on the board somewhere I could solder a jumper wire to restore it?

Seems like most of what I've read also mentioned that MV1A's have a socketed bios and this one doesn't, which was unexpected.

Last edited:

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Pin 15 goes to that via, which will mean it likely continues on the underside of the board.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
So I'm a complete fool.

I checked the underside of the board like you suggested and had continuity from there along the trace to the nearest chip leg. After a round of head scratching from repeated voltage and continuity tests it ends up being a cold solder joint where the test wire connects to the cherry switch. I guess it had came loose from being jostled all the time when changing boards out.

The test switch had continuity from the harness to the end of the wire, and the wire end was soldered to the cherry switch (no quick connect), but just wasn't actually getting a connection. Ooof.

Last edited: