Other arcade games that you think would be cool ported to the NEO-GEO

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The Super Spy Hunter:
1st & 3rd person scrolling car zap, slick, and bump ‘em up-change view w/ D button.
(Combo of The Super Spy and Spy Hunter)

Ikari Warriors X: self explanatory. If Irritating Maze rated such a one off esoteric cabinet, an Ikari X kit could’ve included a couple of rotary joysticks.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I always wished that the Neo got a proper Bubble Bobble game. I like Zupapa and NITD enough, but neither scratch the same itch for me. I know Taito had their own F3 hardware soon after the MVS but that didn't stop them from having Puzzle Bobble 2 on both systems. I get why Taito wouldn't, but I would have liked to see it.

I also dream of a world where they made some meatier games meant for the home-console crowd too. Magician Lord 2 could have been amazing if it showed up on NGCD

Shmuppy

Banned
A Darius with wonderfully hand drawn animated enemies and bosses would fit the Neo well. If Neo would be given enough ROM I think to this day magical stuff could happen. Like every stage runs on a 330MBit ROM bank and then make many Darius stages. Taito was familiar with te 68k and YM2610 anyway.

Last edited:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Some of the stuff that the Nazca team made for Irem, before they were Nazca: In the Hunt, Undercover Cops, Gun Force II, Hammerin' Harry.
I think they would feel right at home on the Neo.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Decent beat em up aside, a 2D light gun game like Point Blank but SNK/Neo Geo/Irem as fuck. Either that or more rotary games

Kid Fenris

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
Osman/Cannon Dancer would have been nice on the Neo Geo. Then there would be an actual home version of the game

Some decent beat em ups would be good - e.g. Undercover Cops

That and Denjin Makai II/Guardians. It's up there with Alien vs. Predator as one of my favorite belt-scrollers never brought out of the arcade.

My number one choice, however, is BloodStorm.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I find these types of topics kind of corny overall.

But I still have an idea to share.

Though this series never appeared in arcades (and the company behind the series, TGL never did any arcade games), an entry to the V.G. (Variable Geo) series could have been cool.

NEO V.G.

The Neo Geo never had an "all female" fighting game, so I suppose it's existence could have satisfied some sort of niche. Then again, TGL didn't make arcade games, and as far as I understand the V.G. series has a smutty plot, and I'm sure SNK didn't want games representing that kind of stuff on their hardware.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Terminator 2 the arcade game but instead of the characters from Terminator it should have the characters from Robo Army. The Neo Geo needs more light gun games.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member

Though this series never appeared in arcades (and the company behind the series, TGL never did any arcade games), an entry to the V.G. (Variable Geo) series could have been cool.

NEO V.G.

The Neo Geo never had an "all female" fighting game, so I suppose it's existence could have satisfied some sort of niche. Then again, TGL didn't make arcade games, and as far as I understand the V.G. series has a smutty plot, and I'm sure SNK didn't want games representing that kind of stuff on their hardware.

The Queen of Fighters ‘69

Digmac

Leona's Therapist

NEO V.G.

It would have been interesting if SNK make a Neo Gals Fighter. Definitely not needed on the Neo, but like you said it would have filled a niche.

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
I've always wished that Weaponlord would have found it's way to the Neo-Geo. The SNES version is nice but larger characters and smoother animations could have certainly been accomplished with the Neo-Geo's beefier hardware.

Missile

Another Striker
Rainbow Islands! The Neo Geo needs platform games so why not one of the greatest?

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
It would be incredible if Sega had decided to support the MVS. Since MVS was so popular in arcades at the time, they could have made some decent money doing that i think.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
It would be incredible if Sega had decided to support the MVS. Since MVS was so popular in arcades at the time, they could have made some decent money doing that i think.

SEGA was making good money in the arcade industry on their own. Why on earth would they use a competitors hardware when they had the System 16/18/32, Model 1/2/3, ST-V, Naomi, and Naomi 2. It would make 0 sense for Sega to support someone else’s hardware when they had so much at their disposal in house.

Seriously dude. :lolz:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
SEGA was making good money in the arcade industry on their own. Why on earth would they use a competitors hardware when they had the System 16/18/32, Model 1/2/3, ST-V, Naomi, and Naomi 2. It would make 0 sense for Sega to support someone else’s hardware when they had so much at their disposal in house.

Absurd. I'm surprised a post like this hadn't surfaced sooner.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi

Sega IP’s were also on PC Engine and even the Famicom. It’s not THAT far fetched. Other companies that had their own arcade hardware also made some MVS games, too.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Sega IP’s were also on PC Engine and even the Famicom. It’s not THAT far fetched.

Yeah and they were always outsourced and published by other companies.

Bro, they shoulda made a street of rage on the neo geo developed by dempa shinbunsha and published by Asmik.

It would have been the best beat em up everrrrr. streets of rage IS an arcade gameee

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Sega IP’s were also on PC Engine and even the Famicom. It’s not THAT far fetched. Other companies that had their own arcade hardware also made some MVS games, too.

You shot down your own point by mentioning that SEGA's IP's were on home consoles. Like asid said, they're ports handled by totally different companies. As is common Neo knowledge, the AES was not a priority for SNK, so having anything SEGA for the AES as some kind of arcade perfect home game makes no sense for them. It had to be an arcade title through and through, meant for the arcade. Why would this be an issue for SEGA? The Neo was kinda limited in terms of hardware for what SEGA was up to. Look at how many custom cabs SEGA had through the Neo's lifetime. How many drivers, light gun cabs, and other variations did SEGA have through 1990-2004? An absolute ton. How many did the Neo have? 1. By 1992, two years into the Neo's lifespan, SEGA had already developed a non JAMMA board supporting full 3D polygons, with support for what they needed: custom cabs to suit their needs. Even before 1992 SEGA had the System-32 which supported light gun cabs, driving cabs, and even oddities like the Holosseum. SEGA always made the hardware they needed for the games they made. This is evident by how many boards they have. They even went to boards with swappable carts with the ST-V and NAOMI. ST-V was released in 1994. The Neo still had 10 years to go. SEGA had no need whatsoever to support SNK's platform. No need at all.

tl:dr, SEGA supported themselves with so much hardware, even hardware that could do more than what the Neo could do. Why support SNK when you could support yourself? It is THAT far fetched.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
You shot down your own point by mentioning that SEGA's IP's were on home consoles. Like asid said, they're ports handled by totally different companies. As is common Neo knowledge, the AES was not a priority for SNK, so having anything SEGA for the AES as some kind of arcade perfect home game makes no sense for them. It had to be an arcade title through and through, meant for the arcade. Why would this be an issue for SEGA? The Neo was kinda limited in terms of hardware for what SEGA was up to. Look at how many custom cabs SEGA had through the Neo's lifetime. How many drivers, light gun cabs, and other variations did SEGA have through 1990-2004? An absolute ton. How many did the Neo have? 1. By 1992, two years into the Neo's lifespan, SEGA had already developed a non JAMMA board supporting full 3D polygons, with support for what they needed: custom cabs to suit their needs. Even before 1992 SEGA had the System-32 which supported light gun cabs, driving cabs, and even oddities like the Holosseum. SEGA always made the hardware they needed for the games they made. This is evident by how many boards they have. They even went to boards with swappable carts with the ST-V and NAOMI. ST-V was released in 1994. The Neo still had 10 years to go. SEGA had no need whatsoever to support SNK's platform. No need at all.

tl:dr, SEGA supported themselves with so much hardware, even hardware that could do more than what the Neo could do. Why support SNK when you could support yourself? It is THAT far fetched.

Another random thought: what if SNK dropped the MVS and deemed the STV their next generation arcade machine :P high-meg STV carts, KOF games... last blade, etc...

SNK and Sega are my two favorite game companies, i just like to think of what could have happened if they had joined forces. That’s like a dream come true to me. It’s probably all far fetched.

I’m not trying to prove any points here, i’m just speculating for literally no reason other than entertainment. Sega making MVS games for arcades would have been neat, and SNK making STV games for arcades would have been neat.... AES-esque high-meg cartridge games for saturn would have been badass too, though probably pointless. I bet sega had to have considered making saturn cart games at some point...

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
May as well go a step further and wish Nintendo made games on Sega and 3DO consoles. Or how about Microsoft publishing games on the PS2.