Other arcade games that you think would be cool ported to the NEO-GEO

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Other 16 and 32 bit systems in the 90s had many arcade ports. I was thinking, what if the AES had arcade ports from other systems too? Imagine sunset riders on NEO•GEO, or Darius? What if other arcade companies jumped on the MVS bandwagon and made third party games for SNK’s hardware... Taito and Konami are the main ones that come to mind... i often think of what would SEGA games look like on MVS hardware. I wonder what kind of wizardry Treasure could have accomplished on the neo.. or Raizing.. or Cave.. more Psikyo games on MVS.. how about Sengoku Blade?

Hopefully this what if thread isnt too boring. I just often see arcade games from the 90s and think, “what would this look and most of all SOUND like on the neo?” That YM2610 is an underutilized beast.... anyone else ever ponder the same things???

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I would love a good Raiden arcade perfect port. I enjoyed the Atari Jaguar port so much I might buy a Jaguar again just for that game.

Last edited:

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
The Neo really isn't lacking in offering just about every type of arcade genre from its time period. I mean, I'd like some stronger beat-em-ups, but that's about it.

What I'd be more interested in is now that the platform is no longer chained to the arcade we should explore some more "console-centric" genres that never got representation but would be a good fit for the hardware: A precision action platformer like Mega Man or a sprawling adventure like Metroid come to mind. Something that would be truly unique on the Neo and use the hardware in different ways.

While I haven't placed my order for Xenocrisis yet (I've yet to see if it is, in fact, better than the MD version), it is the exact kind of thing I'm talking about. A genre not really explored on the Neo in it's hey-day, but when you see it you're like, "oh, that's a good idea - wonder why we didn't see more games like this?"

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I would love a good Raiden arcade perfect port. I enjoyed the Atari Jaguar port so much I might buy a Jaguar again just for that game.

I agree. Raiden never really had a perfect version on any console that i know of. A good tate mode remake of raiden on MVS Would be really cool to see

Low quality thoughts.
I know a lot of people dont like these types of threads. I was just bored and wondered if anyone else had similar ideas. Dont post here if it doesnt interest you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
The Neo really isn't lacking in offering just about every type of arcade genre from its time period. I mean, I'd like some stronger beat-em-ups, but that's about it.

What I'd be more interested in is now that the platform is no longer chained to the arcade we should explore some more "console-centric" genres that never got representation but would be a good fit for the hardware: A precision action platformer like Mega Man or a sprawling adventure like Metroid come to mind. Something that would be truly unique on the Neo and use the hardware in different ways.

While I haven't placed my order for Xenocrisis yet (I've yet to see if it is, in fact, better than the MD version), it is the exact kind of thing I'm talking about. A genre not really explored on the Neo in it's hey-day, but when you see it you're like, "oh, that's a good idea - wonder why we didn't see more games like this?"

I think a lot of people would like to see a full fledged RPG on AES cartridge. With battery saving.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Raiden project on playstation was pretty spot on tho. :cool:

Yes the raiden project is very close to arcade perfect but can you imagine playing raiden on the AES or mvs arcade stick? The ps1 controller d pad for shoot em ups kinda sucks in my opinion.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
I think a lot of people would like to see a full fledged RPG on AES cartridge. With battery saving.

I believe someone at one point in time was considering the possibility of porting the samurai shodown RPG to the Neo Geo AES/MVS. The biggest problem though, is the fact that you would need to add RAM to the cartridge for not only save functionality, but for CHR data as well. So if that's the case for porting an already existing RPG that works on Neo Geo CD Hardware, I would imagine the same would be true with developing an RPG from scratch for the Neo Geo.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The Neo really isn't lacking in offering just about every type of arcade genre from its time period.

This is even truer than I would prefer. I mean, the Neo can make it hard for you to pose demands, if you just have a bit imagination to spare. Like, there's no tennis game on the Neo, true? Not quite, we got Winjammers. It's Pong, all right, just a trillion times better. Now if you remember, Pong was the first video game tennis to begin with and let's be honest: if I'd have to choose between a tennis game and a Windjammers, then fuck tennis.

Granted, not every Neo version or interpretation of a specific genre is a better choice, or even a good game to begin with. That said, boxing or scalers will need a lot of patience to accept them as such on the Neo, just try to accept Legend of Success Joe or Riding Hero, but hey, they are representative to those genres. Sorta. More or less, if you prefer. Well, more 'less', I admit and provided, you got that little imagination I mentioned earlier.

Imagination, yeah, you'll need that, if you want to enjoy, say, our Shinobi aka Ganryu or, eh, our Strider aka Eightman. Thank's God our Contra is actually better than Contra and our R-Types can rival the originals, right? So, what's missing? Hard to tell, personally I would've loved a game like Cadash or Wonder Boy in Monster Land on the Neo, an arcade-style action-adventure with a tight time limit, which, for unknown reasons, would've been made even tighter for all western regions, so we'd all have to play it through a Japanese BIOS missing its "story" entirely ;).

P.s. Ok, ok... there's Crossed Swords, but in this case, I probably lack that "whiff" of imagination, which is required. Shame on me.

Missile

Another Striker
I'd like to see some CPS1 games e.g. Ghouls N Ghosts but I think CPS1 games have a higher horizontal resolution than Neo Geo can manage so they wouldn't be perfect ports.

Some decent beat em ups would be good - e.g. Undercover Cops

Prehistoric Isle in 1930 would be a good port. Way more fun than the 2nd game

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
In 1994 Taito joined the Neo and released one of their biggest hits, Puzzle Bobble. So we sort of got Bub and Bob, but we never got a Neo Darius. That would have been awesome! A Neo Elevator Action, too. Reworks of those two games, Gaiden and Returns, adjusted to the capabilities of the Neo Geo, those are another titles on my wish list.

Data East joined earlier and, opposed to Taito, they offered more variety and some great exclusive titles like Miracle Adventure and Flying Power Disc. Still, I would have loved a Crude Buster or a Chelnov, maybe even a Neo Kuuga. Ports of the former two would probably be possible even today, but who'd shelve the money, right? So, no dice...

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Meh. Taito F3 hardware was significantly more powerful than the Neo Geo's. Darius Gaiden would be a huge downgrade. The game needs transparency. You'd have to butcher the music too. Nope. Not even once.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Meh. Taito F3 hardware was significantly more powerful than the Neo Geo's. Darius Gaiden would be a huge downgrade. The game needs transparency. You'd have to butcher the music too. Nope. Not even once.

Try to see it from a different perspective, a game series is not defined by the platform it was originally released on, hence Darius Gaiden is not defined by transparencies alone or other S/FX for that matter. The Neo Darius could be another side story inspired by the arcade game. Playing out the strengths of SNK's hardware through interpretation of Taito F3 and not a desperate replication of it, as you suggest.

Gameplay, stage sequence/progression, pacing, story and the overall audio-visual design... does that ring a bell? All those points could be very close to the original, with just some parts customized for the Neo by tailor-made reinterpretation, this includes Zuntata using the potential of the Yamaha YM2610. It could even result in a better game. A lot of people prefer the first Famicom Contra to the AC original.

Here's an example on the fly, how customized use of a port's hardware can result in a better experience, at least subjectively: Capcom's The Great Circus Mystery for the SNES used Mode 7 on the Cloud Boss in Stage 5, Frozen Plains. One sprite scaled continuously, your avatar detaching parts from it, one by one, with a vacuum device.

In the Genesis port, this one big cloud consist of several sprite segments, which not only give this boss a far more dynamic appearance, they also translate the detachment of its parts into a visually more conclusive experience for the player. Something you would probably deem as a downgrade from the start, ultimately resulted in a benefit.

bulbousbeard

I feel like the point of Darius games was always to push arcade hardware with multi-screens or the latest graphics tech. It goes against the grain to make a downgraded one. That's also why that Chronicles thing left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't like the games being budget crap.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
A Beat em up that is better than just OK.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I feel like the point of Darius games was always to push arcade hardware with multi-screens or the latest graphics tech. It goes against the grain to make a downgraded one. That's also why that Chronicles thing left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't like the games being budget crap.

Sure, part of the whole STG genre was to be sort of a business card for its hardware, showing off, among other things, just how many moving sprites on screen it could handle. I feel however, that "the point of Darius games" goes far beyond being a mere tech-demo. Their artistic values, their precise design decisions in terms of visuals, music and the careful depiction of virtual worlds speak for themselves and, I'd argue, work without technical flamboyance.

The latter was, or at least soon became, an attachment, used to emphasize those qualities I listed and attract crowds to come closer. Once attracted, though, a game still has to manage to hold those crowds and it won't be able to do it with specs, because they're unable to address emotions, which are key to sell any product.

But hey, forget what I said and let's just assume for a moment that Neo Darius Gaiden would push SNK's hardware on its own terms, utilizing Neo's capabilities to the max, becoming a new business card for its power. It's not a far-fetched idea for Taito to take this direction. It would fulfill your argument of "pushing arcade hardware" and leave us both satisfied, right? I already told you, it's just a matter of perspective...

Missile

Another Striker
Some people might hate me for this but I want Altered Beast. I really enjoy that game (Arcade version obviously)

What about that technique where you flick the sprite on/off on alternate frames? And then it looks transparent to the human eye. That might work. There must be an expert here who would know.

A Beat em up that is better than just OK.

Undercover Cops!

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
How feasible would it be to port the CPS2 games over to Neo-Geo? That seems like a natural fit.

They both share some of the same hardware but obviously there would be a lot more to it in order to do a proper conversion.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
someone should port SNES Legend of Success Joe to the Neo-Geo then pretend NGH-029 is from some mystery unreleased game by SNK.

bulbousbeard

How feasible would it be to port the CPS2 games over to Neo-Geo? That seems like a natural fit.

They both share some of the same hardware but obviously there would be a lot more to it in order to do a proper conversion.

It isn't. CPS games run at a weirdo resolution with a 12:7 pixel aspect ratio. Even though the Neo had 320 horizontal resolution most games were really intended for 304 horizontal pixels so it effectively has a 10:7 pixel aspect ratio. You've basically got 80 fewer effective horizontal pixels.

The CPS sprites would look squatty and weird on the Neo Geo. You'd basically have to redraw everything for it to not look like shit.

bLiGhTy

War Room Troll
I know the thread title is arcade ports but ever since reading this question I keep wondering how good the Sega Megadrive/Genesis Granada could look and sound on the Neo Geo.