Terraonion SNES flash cart

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
https://mobile.twitter.com/terraonion/status/1273267518648524800

With the SD2SNES being what it is, what more can you do with a SNES flash cart?

This is my main question as well. The SD2SNES does everything you'd want at this point, about the only thing you could improve on is perfect Super FX performance (they may have already done this on SD2SNES, haven't updated in a while) and maybe integrate a Super Gameboy? TO doesn't sell stuff cheap, I'm not sure what they can do that would make me want to ditch my SD2SNES and buy their product for what will likely cost much more.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I dont see the point, But they certainly aint made any friends with the SNES community lately anyways after they fired shots at Ikari.

102438514_3115687288511222_1782026143642517884_o.jpg

Last edited:

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Ikari did a great job with the SD2SNES. <3 Didn't buy a single SNES game since I got it and there is no need to buy the TO cart.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I guess nes and gameboy coverage would help sell them. As it is a lower cost...hahaha...would work.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Terraonion has been creating exciting products that didn’t exist before. I’m sure most people who want a SNES cart already have one like myself. I don’t see any reason to upgrade from my SD2SNES unless it has some killer feature that no one has thought of before.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I dont see the point, But they certainly aint made any friends with the SNES community lately anyways after they fired shots at Ikari.
Alex ended up closing his twitter account from this drama.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
We have some great stuff planned for the SNES cart.

While the SD2SNES is great, I don’t get the mentality that providing consumers with a choice is bad. Competition ultimately benefits the consumer.

And our cartridge will not be more expensive than the SD2SNES.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I don’t get the mentality that providing consumers with a choice is bad.

I think that's because of the way this Alex character came off.

I welcome competition. I bought a shitty Chinese SNES flash cart and welcome something a bit more palatable than the $200 SD2SNES option.

TO makes great products, just shitty PR.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Unless they nail that remaining 0.2% compatibility and maybe add an NES if GBC core I don’t see a lot of people going for it.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Yup, I dont know anything about the situ really but from what I read he fecked up and knows it.

There is so much drama I this hobby and it’s completely unnecessary. So what did he say that made him self delete? It couldn’t be any worse than how that Piko Interactive guy acts.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
We have some great stuff planned for the SNES cart.

While the SD2SNES is great, I don’t get the mentality that providing consumers with a choice is bad. Competition ultimately benefits the consumer.

And our cartridge will not be more expensive than the SD2SNES.

Out of interest Yodd,
Why go after a SNES flash cart of all things?
I mean the SD2SNES has extremely good compatibility (over 99% if I recall) is nailing that <1% really worth it?

Why not go after a PS1 ODE which would be guaranteed sales and a massive earner?
The only competition to that is PSIO and that is loosing confidence with end users.

Having a pop at someone like ikari and then taking on his very well respected wares just dont seem good business sense to me.

I agree competition is healthy but not like that.

There is so much drama I this hobby and it’s completely unnecessary. So what did he say that made him self delete? It couldn’t be any worse than how that Piko Interactive guy acts.

I think it all stemmed from that tweet above, Alec took some heavy back lash from it I understand.

From what I gather TO approached Ikari for his source code etc, He said no then they publicly attacked him on twitter.
Then apparently offered him a job?

I dunno but I agree with you that this shit is unnecessary.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You guys need some context as the conclusion (based off that tweet) is completely wrong.

While we have our own Discord server, we also have a channel on the Classic Gaming Discord. There are also channels for MiSTer, Retroarch and SD2SNES.

In our channel someone was going on and on saying that we should do a SNES cart. The conversation went back and forth and eventually someone is like "why don't you just use SD2SNES as the basis. It's open source after all".

So Alex went into the SD2SNES channel and @'d Ikari asking if we could license the SD2SNES software. I.E pay money to have a license to use it. We would design our own cartridge pcb and port over his software and add on whatever we wanted to complete our SNES cart. And holy shit, there were a couple very unhappy campers about that. Alex was almost immediately attacked by a user who said it would be "unethical" for Ikari to license his software since Krikzz already produces the SD2SNES carts (newsflash: it wouldn't be). So this argument went back and forth with multiple users arguing one side and then the other. Ikari wasn't active at the time and didn't see any of this until later.

At some point the conversation got dragged to Twitter and that tweet that was pictured above was sent in response to Alex getting tagged. And the "There is nothing better to make someone work than fear" wasn't directed at Ikari. It was directed at Krikzz. And anyone who had been following the conversation on the Discord would have known that however that context was lost on Twitter. Krikzz has been milking the Mega Drive flashcart market for 10 years with no competition until we released the MegaSD. That's what Alex was referring to. We put Krikzz into panic mode with the MegaSD and he had to respond.

Later on Ikari finally responded on Discord saying he wished Alex had contacted him in private to have avoided all of this mess (which we agree with). He didn't feel comfortable licensing it to us due to his relationship with Krikzz. So Alex made him a job offer. Come work with us on this and other projects. Ikari turned it down for now as he wants to continue working on the SD2SNES cart. However he mentioned he might be available next year so he wasn't ruling it out.

So there is the context to that tweet.

And we won't be using any SD2SNES code going forward as we have licensed the SNES MiSTer core code from srg320. We will build off that foundation.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
You guys need some context as the conclusion (based off that tweet) is completely wrong.

While we have our own Discord server, we also have a channel on the Classic Gaming Discord. There are also channels for MiSTer, Retroarch and SD2SNES.

In our channel someone was going on and on saying that we should do a SNES cart. The conversation went back and forth and eventually someone is like "why don't you just use SD2SNES as the basis. It's open source after all".

So Alex went into the SD2SNES channel and @'d Ikari asking if we could license the SD2SNES software. I.E pay money to have a license to use it. We would design our own cartridge pcb and port over his software and add on whatever we wanted to complete our SNES cart. And holy shit, there were a couple very unhappy campers about that. Alex was almost immediately attacked by a user who said it would be "unethical" for Ikari to license his software since Krikzz already produces the SD2SNES carts (newsflash: it wouldn't be). So this argument went back and forth with multiple users arguing one side and then the other. Ikari wasn't active at the time and didn't see any of this until later.

At some point the conversation got dragged to Twitter and that tweet that was pictured above was sent in response to Alex getting tagged. And the "There is nothing better to make someone work than fear" wasn't directed at Ikari. It was directed at Krikzz. And anyone who had been following the conversation on the Discord would have known that however that context was lost on Twitter. Krikzz has been milking the Mega Drive flashcart market for 10 years with no competition until we released the MegaSD. That's what Alex was referring to. We put Krikzz into panic mode with the MegaSD and he had to respond.

Later on Ikari finally responded on Discord saying he wished Alex had contacted him in private to have avoided all of this mess (which we agree with). He didn't feel comfortable licensing it to us due to his relationship with Krikzz. So Alex made him a job offer. Come work with us on this and other projects. Ikari turned it down for now as he wants to continue working on the SD2SNES cart. However he mentioned he might be available next year so he wasn't ruling it out.

So there is the context to that tweet.

And we won't be using any SD2SNES code going forward as we have licensed the SNES MiSTer core code from srg320. We will build off that foundation.

Cheers for the clarification Yodd.

Context is important :)

Still dont know why you dont try to develop something for PS1 though :p

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
SD2SNES doesn't have official save state support last I checked. The unofficial firmware that has it will erase all the saves on the cart if you accidentally hit the wrong button combo.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'd love to see how this product plays out and differentiates from the SD2SNES.

It is unfortunate that these PR issues continue to hamper the otherwise stellar products. I know I hesitate to purchase these products just on PR alone, but can't deny their value to the community.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
For those wondering who would want a TerraOnion produced SNES flashcart, I can say that I'm definitely onboard for one. I haven't purchased a SNES flashcart yet, and will probably get TO's whenever it's released.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

whatever the "context", who in their right mind -that owns a company - would say something like that on social media to begin with?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
whatever the "context", who in their right mind -that owns a company - would say something like that on social media to begin with?

Arguments get heated. Stuff happens.

We all say stuff in the heat of the moment that later we look back on and say "yeah, that was stupid".

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Arguments get heated. Stuff happens.

We all say stuff in the heat of the moment that later we look back on and say "yeah, that was stupid".

Your boy has a history of it.

RQ6pr2hh.jpg

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Well, he’s Spanish after all.
:lolz:

Stop covering for absolutely horrible customer service on premium products. It's BS and you know it. If you have to cover for all the crap that TO spews out to its customers, you're an idiot. They don't take care of their customers at all who are spending big bux on these products. Simple as that.