161 in 1 version 2?

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Does it work with the Universe BIOS 4.0's Pick-N-Mix feature?

I can't seem to get it to work. One other difference I found is League Bowling is removed. I am going to go over the game list and see what other games were removed.

I wasn't completely sure at first, which is why I said maybe a couple of games were changed out. But now it would appear that is the case, so now it's just a game of figuring out which games got removed and which games were added in their place.

One other thing, this thing absolutely hates the unibios v4.0. All the hacks except SVC Chaos, seem to crash.

During my testing, Kabuki Klash was also crashing when set to AES mode. When I change it to mvs mode, I still get a little bit of graphical corruption but otherwise the game is stable. Not sure if that's just a bug with the UniBios, or the 161 in 1.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Did you try holding select before powering up the MVS? Keep the button pressed until the Unibios splash screen appears.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
I would test again, but my CMVS is currently shipped out for signal evaluation. I want to make sure my voltages are safe on the RGB lines.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I would test again, but my CMVS is currently shipped out for signal evaluation. I want to make sure my voltages are safe on the RGB lines.

Safe? You just add 120-150ohm resistors on each of the RGB lines to bring the voltage down to 0.7v. I've never heard of anyone sending their CMVS off for 'signal evaluation' before, sounds like you're being fleeced.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Safe? You just add 120-150ohm resistors on each of the RGB lines to bring the voltage down to 0.7v. I've never heard of anyone sending their CMVS off for 'signal evaluation' before, sounds like you're being fleeced.
Watch your tongue, you're going to make The autists screech.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy

Not really. I don't have an oscilloscope, and I used an encoder circuit that I am also not familiar with entirely. In addition, I have been getting some strange ripple noise in my video signal. So, I sent it off for inspection, to make sure I am not overvolting or undervolting. If it is within proper spec, then I am having them find the source of the rippling noise.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Voltage is voltage. As long as it’s all within the 0.7v spec, it’s safe to use. SNK didn’t use crazy fancy circuits to build the AES.

The rippling would be due to noise and interference from somewhere else in the system.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
I know that, I do console mods as a service. My issue is, without an oscilloscope, I can't make sure that my consolized mvs is actually done right. Also, the video noise is not the normal garden-variety video noise that you would get from either lackluster modification work, unshielded cables, or using a poor power supply. It's like some weird Rippling effect that is visible on composite and S-Video, but only visible in RGB when you look close. I speculate that it's some sort of frequency noise, caused by the oscillator Crystal. But just to confirm, I sent my console to someone that I know has some credibility to his name.

When it comes to something like arcade Hardware, I'm not going to just take someone's word for it unless I actually see measurement numbers. I want to see the measurements they get from probing the output with an oscilloscope and showing the results.

Last edited:
I can't seem to get it to work. One other difference I found is League Bowling is removed. I am going to go over the game list and see what other games were removed.

I wasn't completely sure at first, which is why I said maybe a couple of games were changed out. But now it would appear that is the case, so now it's just a game of figuring out which games got removed and which games were added in their place.

One other thing, this thing absolutely hates the unibios v4.0. All the hacks except SVC Chaos, seem to crash.

During my testing, Kabuki Klash was also crashing when set to AES mode. When I change it to mvs mode, I still get a little bit of graphical corruption but otherwise the game is stable. Not sure if that's just a bug with the UniBios, or the 161 in 1.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose a good test would be to see if it runs stably with a normal BIOS. It does sound like a low voltage issue though.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I know that, I do console mods as a service. My issue is, without an oscilloscope, I can't make sure that my consolized mvs is actually done right. Also, the video noise is not the normal garden-variety video noise that you would get from either lackluster modification work, unshielded cables, or using a poor power supply. It's like some weird Rippling effect that is visible on composite and S-Video, but only visible in RGB when you look close. I speculate that it's some sort of frequency noise, caused by the oscillator Crystal. But just to confirm, I sent my console to someone that I know has some credibility to his name.

When it comes to something like arcade Hardware, I'm not going to just take someone's word for it unless I actually see measurement numbers. I want to see the measurements they get from probing the output with an oscilloscope and showing the results.

That reminds me I better get an update from NASA on the position of the Earth in it's solar orbit so I can calculate the date. I just won't take the calendars word for it or yours! I must see the measurements.

Satoshi_Matrix

n00b
10 Year Member
I am new to Neo-Geo, I bought an AES that's got a yellow screen without cartridge and only displays a game's HUD when a cartridge is inserted. I'm pretty sure it's vram problem so I've ordered new vram chips.

Given AES prices, I went and bought the AES 161 in 1 as well.

I've heard that these have issues with Unibios though. Does anyone know if the AES version of the 161 in 1 works with Unibios 4.0? Thanks.

thalesalex

n00b
Does it work with the Universe BIOS 4.0's Pick-N-Mix feature?
I can't seem to get it to work.
I received mine yesterday, and I can't make it work with Pick n' Mix neither. also having lots of crashes and issues, I thought this version was supposed to be better than the banana one ??

Attachments

• IMG_20220221_193718.jpg
    IMG_20220221_193718.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220221_193916.jpg
    IMG_20220221_193916.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220221_193949.jpg
    IMG_20220221_193949.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 7

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Given AES prices, I went and bought the AES 161 in 1 as well.

I've heard that these have issues with Unibios though. Does anyone know if the AES version of the 161 in 1 works with Unibios 4.0? Thanks.
FWIW, I just bought a v1 AES 161 from TimeHarvest to use with an AES 3-6 with Unibios 4.0 and an upgraded Triad 3A PSU. The 161 cart and PickNMix work brilliantly. If you can live with the known v1 bugs and 50 or so missing games from the total library, it's a winner. Loving it so far.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
FWIW, I just bought a v1 AES 161 from TimeHarvest to use with an AES 3-6 with Unibios 4.0 and an upgraded Triad 3A PSU. The 161 cart and PickNMix work brilliantly. If you can live with the known v1 bugs and 50 or so missing games from the total library, it's a winner. Loving it so far.
Is the AES a 5v PSU?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Cart came in today and it definitely works with Pick N Mix. It also came with a 'shock box' but more akin to the old style AES cases that came after the cardboard and before the snap-locks. I didn't know this was coming with it, there wasn't any indication of it on the purchase (Ali). So when I sliced the box, I sliced the case a little too. Not all the way through, but I made a mark on in. Ah well.

Don't have time to test much at the moment, but I'll check it out later.

1681593850276.png