Video board knobs missing

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Hey all,

Probably a dumb questionSo I'm cleaning up the big red I got this last weekend and noticed that the video board has only 3 of the 8 knobs present. Is there a way I can get new knobs? What are they even called? And what's the process of installing them?
ae4dc22bdbb836eeeb54016da51116cf.jpg

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Those appear to be hexagonal holes correct? I will look for some trimmer knobs but usually the trimmers have the male end, not the other way around. You could use an allen key set to find the size and adjust them in the mean time.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
You can use an Allen key.

My brother made his own knobs for a project where the PCB had hex slots like this. He had some hex rod the same diameter, cut it and the literally used a 2 liter soda cap drilled and glued in place.

For a knob that gets set and forgotten inside something it gets the job done.

Most of the times the knobs you’d buy for electronics don’t have the shaft, just the actual knob. So if you want one yourself, I’d fine the shaft diameter, get a hex rod the right size, cut it to length and just choose a new knob off mouser electronics

NexusX

Astra Superstar
You can use an Allen key.

^ this

Or a properly small flathead screwdriver. You could also just pull out and use the posts from ones that are there. As long as the pots themselves work I really wouldn't worry too much about it.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Didn't knew those cabs had Hantarex monitors on them too. Thought it would be just Wells Gardner on that side of the pond!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Didn't knew those cabs had Hantarex monitors on them too. Thought it would be just Wells Gardner on that side of the pond!
I was surprised as well, I'm going to get a bunch of stuff done to it in the next couple of weeks. It's currently at the girlfriends apartment and I'd love to do some work to it within one go. Primarily add a Unibios, mess with the video board to brighten the picture up a bit, add knobs at some point just for kicks, get some acrylic plates from Lions3D for it, get some repro mini marquees, and clean out the memory card slot.

The 2 slot looks to have never been cleaned or removed in the past 30 years, and there was a rusted penny in the memory card slot along with some nastiness. I need to clear it out with some tweezers and canned air, which I didn't have time for last weekend. Pics of the nasty below
6af04464f3ac03c9053129a71f5bd458.jpg