2 Metal Slug Games in Development - 2020 Planned Release

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
I'm not fan for a new Metal Slug mobile. But I cross my finger for one Switch release

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I won't get my hopes up if 4,5,6 and 7 are anything to go by. I mean can't they fuckin do something new? Where is the god damn creativity!?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I'm ready to be disappointed, but you never know. Here's hoping SNK decides to create something that long time Neo Geo fans will actually want.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I won't get my hopes up if 4,5,6 and 7 are anything to go by. I mean can't they fuckin do something new? Where is the god damn creativity!?

Those are all better than 3.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member

Meh, 7/XX wasn't too bad. That said, I don't much care for another Metal Slug. To your point, I'd love to see some creativity, but SNK only sells nostalgia these days. I highly doubt they have the capital to finance/risk development on an entirely new IP; fighting game or not.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member

Having a playable Morden soldier from the beginning could be a good start. :cool:

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Great news. I would go for the SoR 4 approach if I were SNK. A good Metal Slug game shouldn’t be too difficult to pull off these days. More of Slug 1 and 2 combined with a bit of 3 and some new weapons will do it for me. Throw in a few easter eggs and references to past games for us 40-ers and most of us will be happy campers.

Looking forward to it !

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Metal Slug can be a goldmine so here's hoping SNK manages to do something decent with it this time around.

Just please don't use cheap looking 3D models.

Too late, chips on steroids is already on it! :D

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I am open to a new art style choice. If for at least the balls to experiment with something new. We will never know of anything else can look right if they don't try.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
You know companies such as SNK would do VERY well to incorporate people who are in the indie scene doing great things with pixel art on a budget. It's not that hard is it? It would seem to be impossible

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
I am open to a new art style choice. If for at least the balls to experiment with something new. We will never know of anything else can look right if they don't try.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be the same rehashed sprites. It just has to have effort and good art direction to make it look good. And they're dealing with what's probably their strongest IP with this, so hopefully they actually throw a budget at the art department. We'll see, but it's hard to stay optimistic.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I second the SOR4 treatment.

Or if they really want to stand out, something a la Cuphead, with nods and hints at old animated movies/cliches.

GamingCult

n00b
If there’s care and attention to it, like Sonic Mania or Streets of Rage 4, then I’m all for it. Yet, Metal Slug has been stale for awhile as we’ve been getting the same rinse and repeat from Slug 3 onwards.

Last edited:

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
I heard the team behind Galaxy Guns is doing the development of the New Metal Slug. One of the cool features will be DLC branching paths and weapon packs.

I'm curious to see if this will release for the Neo Geo 3. Whatever the fuck that is.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I heard the team behind Galaxy Guns is doing the development of the New Metal Slug. One of the cool features will be DLC branching paths and weapon packs.

I'm curious to see if this will release for the Neo Geo 3. Whatever the fuck that is.

Don't forget the top tier pre rendered sprites.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Gah
Fuck that!

I second the Gah, Fuck that!

I think I'm one of the few who just isn't all that impressed with SOR4, though. What I like about Sonic Mania is the team updated the classic Sonic art and gameplay style in very subtle ways that call back to the originals, but isn't so far off from the originals that it feels like a "new" IP. That's what I'm hoping for here.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Can't really expect something good and new when the original Dev team hasn't been around in what? 2 decades almost? Bringing in a new team means they will be focused on nostalgia and recreating sprites, etc. But I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.