Cleaning a metal cased CRT/PVM.

Hello everyone,

I bought a Sony CRT monitor this morning and it arrived this morning – a little the worse for wear.

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning it without damaging the paintwork and also filling in the chipped paint?

Thanks!

pvn.jpg

pvm2.jpg

pvm3.jpg

pvm4.jpg

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The sticker residue will come off with Goop-Off or similar.

Magic Eraser will help with many types of marks on the metal part of the case (and elsewhere) where bare metal is NOT showing through. NOTE: do NOT use on the inside dark gray part of the bezel - that's usually just painted on (i.e. not solid colored plastic all the way through) and can rub off.

You have metal showing through on some parts of the case, so there's nothing that can be done there besides painting (which you can try, but you'll never match perfectly, so most people repaint the entire thing).

Chipped plastic would have to be filled (bondo-like is usually best), then repainted... I would honestly not worry about it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Dochartaigh, I won't fill in the paintwork in that case; I'll just try and get the stickers off.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
For removing sticker and sticker-residue you can try goo gone, has always worked for me and seems very respectful with the surface of the actual item.

For diminishing scratches you can try some car-paint polish, but please, be gentle since this CAN damage the surface.

Magic erasers are great too for cleaning stubborn filth.

Let us know and show some pictures of the results and techniques used.