Will arcade machines be reduced to

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Aww someone at Sega found out about Azure and AWS, how cute.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
No massive shock really, The consoles have been trying to go that way for a while so for once the arcades are actually behind.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
While we're all a bunch of nostalgic, jaded 90's arcade lovers - let's be real. The concept of the arcade and the arcade machine died decades ago in most parts of the world, and even Japan saw a steep decline after the 90's. Classic and modern arcade machines are expensive to purchase, expensive to maintain, and take up a lot of space. They're not exactly practical, especially in our console machine and cloud computing age. They just don't make a lot of sense. Hell, I can't even imagine what the pandemic has done to the already struggling game center industry.

This isn't so much news as it is a matter of time thing. Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long for Sega to implement this business model.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Did anyone else get an excessive amount of advertisements for dong showers on that site?

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
While we're all a bunch of nostalgic, jaded 90's arcade lovers - let's be real. The concept of the arcade and the arcade machine died decades ago in most parts of the world, and even Japan saw a steep decline after the 90's. Classic and modern arcade machines are expensive to purchase, expensive to maintain, and take up a lot of space. They're not exactly practical, especially in our console machine and cloud computing age. They just don't make a lot of sense. Hell, I can't even imagine what the pandemic has done to the already struggling game center industry.

This isn't so much news as it is a matter of time thing. Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long for Sega to implement this business model.

But you said it, they take a lot of space (and consume quite a lot of energy too). If you are just planning on going the streaming way, isn't there a better option than using the actual arcades to do so? Maybe I'm missing something...

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Aw man,this makes me realize how forunate I was to grrow up in the "heyday". Streaming my arse!
I like to plug'n play...get a litttle casual time/play in and move on...screw all this glued to the internet crap..
BB

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
If this business model will generate more money with arcade games, then why not? It could eventually lead to the creation of more of them, also one's from genres that usually are currently omitted, like STG... not on a mobile phone, though, and it sounds like that's the main piece of cake they're after.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
I'm glad arcades are dead. They were always a shitty scam. Joysticks/buttons/monitors were broken half the time.

The people there were largely riff raff.

Hope movie theaters die next. They're another shit stain.

We're so lucky to have what we have today (powerful personal computers that we have complete control of and can run anything we want on).

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm glad arcades are dead. They were always a shitty scam. Joysticks/buttons/monitors were broken half the time.

The people there were largely riff raff.

Hope movie theaters die next. They're another shit stain.

We're so lucky to have what we have today (powerful personal computers that we have complete control of and can run anything we want on).

What's your problem man? do you want to hook into the matrix and melt away or something? Arcades are great and so are movie theaters, it's just that if you want to see arcades that are alive you need to visit Japan.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
What's your problem man? do you want to hook into the matrix and melt away or something? Arcades are great and so are movie theaters, it's just that if you want to see arcades that are alive you need to visit Japan.

He’s just the guy that never fit in anywhere, even with the other misfits. Anything that’s interacting with other people = autistic screeching.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Anything that requires social interaction or being in public is a shit stain. I don't care about the innovation any of these industries contributed to bringing technology into my home, because I only care about myself and clearly have mental health problems.

Clarified your bullshit so normal ppl can understand.

Per usual, you're a hippocrate and a waste of time. Bitching about the industries that advanced your personal experience at home and then bragging about how "lucky" we are.

Awaiting you to walk away as usual or deflect like Wyo.

bulbousbeard

Clarified your bullshit so normal ppl can understand.

Per usual, you're a hippocrate and a waste of time. Bitching about the industries that advanced your personal experience at home and then bragging about how "lucky" we are.

Awaiting you to walk away as usual or deflect like Wyo.

You're retarded if you think that watching a movie in a movie theater is social interaction. You're literally told to not interact with others during the presentation.

The personal computer revolution and PC gaming really had nothing to do with the arcade industry. They pretty much happened in parallel. There's a reason that companies like Sierra weren't impacted by the video game crash at all. It wasn't until it was basically dead (1997ish) that they started using PC hardware in arcades (to be fair, there were a handful that used x86 CPUs like the Seibu games, but those still really weren't PCs). If anything, arcade manufacturers preyed on the PC hardware industry (just like the console industry) once they became too incompetent to make hardware themselves.

, HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH?

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You're retarded if you think that watching a movie in a movie theater is social interaction. You're literally told to not interact with others during the presentation.

The personal computer revolution and PC gaming really had nothing to do with the arcade industry. They pretty much happened in parallel. There's a reason that companies like Sierra weren't impacted by the video game crash at all. It wasn't until it was basically dead (1997ish) that they started using PC hardware in arcades (to be fair, there were a handful that used x86 CPUs like the Seibu games, but those still really weren't PCs). If anything, arcades preyed on PCs once they became too incompetent to make hardware themselves.

, HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH?

You're a fucking retard.

Going to a movie theater with friends and everything that surrounds such an outing, is social interaction. eg. dinner, drinks etc shit you obviously have no fucking clue about.

Also arcades really were a driver of the computing advancements that made digital entertainment possible in the home. In other words, everything entertainment wise you take for granted now on a PC or phone, tablet, is at least partially due to arcades.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You're a fucking retard.

Going to a movie theater with friends and everything that surrounds such an outing, is social interaction. eg. dinner, drinks etc shit you obviously have no fucking clue about.

Also arcades really were a driver of the computing advancements that made digital entertainment possible in the home. In other words, everything entertainment wise you take for granted now on a PC or phone, tablet, is at least partially due to arcades.

It's easier to stand from afar and run his mouth and talk about how great of a programmer he is and how he can run circles around a programmer from 1996 with his AMAZING Metal Slug 1 60 fps 120hz port for the pc he made.....wait, he never did. Yep just an antisocial bumpkin that prolly cheats his way through games. Just a wannabe player. Ignore.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
But you said it, they take a lot of space (and consume quite a lot of energy too). If you are just planning on going the streaming way, isn't there a better option than using the actual arcades to do so? Maybe I'm missing something...

Community. When I was growing up and would visit the local arcades in the US around my community you'd often see groups of people that met at the arcade and would meet up regularly to game, chat, drink, etc. Locally, in 2020, we have one of the larger classic arcades in the region (Arcade Legacy) and they have multiple communities that meet up there weekly. Serious gamers, especially in the 90's, often felt/feel isolated. Arcades gave/give us ways to interact with others of similar interests.

It's not so much about the games, but the experiences they create. Arcades are a place of community, always have been. It's the "church" for many gamers.

Last edited:

bulbousbeard

I finish what I start. When I'm done with Final Fight I'll move onto Metal Slug.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
My posts are awesome, actually. Can't help it if some bitches can't handle the truth.

Is that why you avoid me when I ask you about your stellar amazing programming skills Dave Jaffe? You can't handle someone asking questions but you can run your mouth about how terrible everyone else is?