The hombrew scene on the Neo - A gouging greed?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Neo XYZ isn't a bad game at all. It looks like a blend of Toaplan on a Amiga machine. Shame it lacks graphical depth (layers, parallax, etc).

I actually think this one and Gunlord are actually worth having... at a reasonable price.

I had both of those and agree they are pretty good. As you said though at a reasonable price, yes. $100 ok, $500 you can punch it up your ass.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I think PS4 got Fast Striker

yep and Vita/Phones

I happen to love Fast Striker, it's one of my favorite of theirs' - I get the complaint about the background animation loops, but I played the hell out of it when I had it.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
A big part of the authentic Neo Geo experience is paying too much money for an ok game.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
The one system i would really like to see more homebrew on is the PC Engine/TG16. Especially the HuCARD format instead of the CD's everyone tends to do when they make TG16 games. HuCARDs are so rad. Sadly i doubt programming PC Engine games is nearly as financially viable as other platforms :(

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
What did Knights Chance retail for when released?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
What did Knights Chance retail for when released?

AES $499
MVS $359
MVS Collector's Edition $449

I think those are correct but I'm not 100% sure.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
A big part of the authentic Neo Geo experience is paying too much money for an ok game.

Well put, though the arguably bigger part was paying too much money for an authentic arcade experience at home and since non of those Neo Geo homebrew games officially saw an arcade from the inside, they'll never be able to hold this experience for those who'll play them.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Yes sir! My favorite shmup on the system.

Last Resort is indeed excellent. That and Blazing Star are my favorites. Glad to have been able to snag MVS copies of both for cheap.

traveno

Rugal's Thug
The one system i would really like to see more homebrew on is the PC Engine/TG16. Especially the HuCARD format instead of the CD's everyone tends to do when they make TG16 games. HuCARDs are so rad. Sadly i doubt programming PC Engine games is nearly as financially viable as other platforms :(

That would be awesome. Unfortunately, when it comes to being financially viable, I think you're right. I don't mind more CD games. The soundtrack to Lords of Thunder kicks ass.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Knight's chance is the only game that I regret not getting. The feel, the production values, it just feels 100% legit. The NGDev games just feel like they are 'almost' good enough to buy but eh. Not at those prices, at all.

The never ending delays don't help neither.

We must keep in mind that it's a very small team but still.. After years of dev times, you would expect the gameplay to be better than this.

Last edited:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
AES $499
MVS $359
MVS Collector's Edition $449

I think those are correct but I'm not 100% sure.

Even as a ballpark figure, this game falls within the realm of NGDEV pricing. It's a tough sell I guess.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Knight's chance is the only game that I regret not getting. The feel, the production values, it just feels 100% legit. The NGDev games just feel like they are 'almost' good enough to buy but eh. Not at those prices, at all.

The never ending delays don't help neither.

We must keep in mind that it's a very small team but still.. After years of dev times, you would expect the gameplay to be better than this.

Knight's Chance really does feel like a game SNK or Alpha Denshi would have put out in the 90's for the Neo, the only thing that betrays it is the Neobitz logo and copyright date! Yes it is a video poker game, but you can feel the effort and passion put into it regardless.

Chips on Steroids wants all the glory and fame, and also the NG:DEV money, without putting in the effort. Hell their pseudo company name proves that without even looking at what games they're releasing, who boldly claims they're experts in the platform with a title like that, with zero prior experience, aside from scammers and delusional fucks? With the money of the collectard-y NeoTris release they could easily hire someone to do art of Knights Chance caliber and at least have a pretense of a good game for their wobbly space shooter, but no, that would be too much effort for something people will gladly buy anyway.

Missile

Another Striker
last hope is fucking trash

I really like Pink Bullets. The only bad thing about it is the bosses are all a bit static and similar to each other but otherwise it's a good game overall. Great soundtrack too

Neo XYZ isn't a bad game at all. It looks like a blend of Toaplan on a Amiga machine. Shame it lacks graphical depth (layers, parallax, etc).

I actually think this one and Gunlord are actually worth having... at a reasonable price.

NEO XYX is the best vertical shooter on the system. Everyone should buy it. Looks way better than any Amiga shooter. It's pushing sprite limits on the Neo Geo

What's funny is that Knight Chance is basically a mini-games collection. I personally rate it and like it but I guarantee if NGDevteam had made it - they would have been slaughtered.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
NEO XYX is the best vertical shooter on the system. Everyone should buy it. Looks way better than any Amiga shooter. It's pushing sprite limits on the Neo Geo

Comparing the Neo Geo with a computer that only handles 8 sprites at a time + bobs is really wise...:keke: