My Neo 29 inspired custom arcade stick - Tekken 5 PS2 to Neo Geo

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Hey guys, I wanted to share the first arcade stick that I really overhauled for myself, and I'm definitely proud of the way it turned out. This is my Neo 29 inspired HORI Tekken 5 10th anniversary PS2 stick that I converted to be used with the Neo Geo.

This is how the stick started out, like any old HORI Tekken 5 stick for PS2. This stick has to be one of my favorites to modify. It feels solid, and has a great weight to it. I started off by fully disassembling the stick. I then heated the original overlay with a hair dryer, and it peeled off. To get rid of the adhesive left over I soaked the control panel in isopropyl alcohol overnight, and that did the trick.
4jUjjCx.jpg

Next up was the artwork. After spending hours in Photoshop on different ideas, I decided on a Neo 29 theme. I found a Neo 29 control panel scan and got to work. This is how it started out:
qLE5A0M.jpg

Then this is how it turned out with some Photoshop work. The SNK logo wasn't going to be in the artwork with how I was going to crop it, so I left it. After that I added everything else you'll see in the finished product.
HHfHHis.jpg

With the artwork taken care of, I moved onto modifying the stick itself. These HORI sticks of this era weren't just plug and play to swap the buttons. The control panel needed to be modified since there were metal tabs that prevented normal Seimitsu buttons from fitting. After grinding and sanding the tabs down flush with the rest of the hole, the CP was ready for all its new hardware. Seimitsu screw in buttons, and a Sanwa JLF with a 2lb spring. The JLF also needed modification to fit, with four holes being drilled through the restrictor gate to use the original mounting screws.
5eXiF6g.jpg

After all that work I was ready to finally build the stick. I had the artwork printed on a durable matte vinyl and got that placed on the control panel. I got a DB15/Neo Geo wiring harness, installed the JLF and buttons, and wired everything using quick disconnects for ease of future repair. With everything back assembled, this is the final product. I'm really happy with it, and it's been my main Neo stick ever since.
3dW9Vcb.jpg

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Nice mod job! I had that Tekken stick back in the day...and I have no idea what happened to it. lol

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This post was just as long winded as (D)orc.one's but the difference is you actually showed us, from beginning to end, a quality project.

Well done!

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
This is a perfect example of designing THEN doing. That controller looks good man.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
I would have liked to seen more 3D mockups but it turned out great! The matte vinyl has a nice look to it and the printing turned out really well.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
1280-rectangular-prism-cuboid.png

Here you are. I'm a professional arcade sticks designer. Been designing arcade sticks for 25 years now. It's only missing some details but you get that the final shape will be rectangularish.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
1280-rectangular-prism-cuboid.png

Here you are. I'm a professional arcade sticks designer. Been designing arcade sticks for 25 years now. It's only missing some details but you get that the final shape will be rectangularish.

The use of turquoise has given me a rock hard erection.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member

I'm in awe of your abilities. I didn't think there was much left to improve on arcade sticks but you've figured out how to make one without all the expensive components like buttons, sticks, and art!

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
The use of turquoise has given me a rock hard erection.

That's what inspires me when I'm designing, giving people boners.

I'm in awe of your abilities. I didn't think there was much left to improve on arcade sticks but you've figured out how to make one without all the expensive components like buttons, sticks, and art!

Thanks. You know. Stay hungry, stay orcish.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Hey guys, I wanted to share the first arcade stick that I really overhauled for myself, and I'm definitely proud of the way it turned out. This is my Neo 29 inspired HORI Tekken 5 10th anniversary PS2 stick that I converted to be used with the Neo Geo.

This is how the stick started out, like any old HORI Tekken 5 stick for PS2. This stick has to be one of my favorites to modify. It feels solid, and has a great weight to it. I started off by fully disassembling the stick. I then heated the original overlay with a hair dryer, and it peeled off. To get rid of the adhesive left over I soaked the control panel in isopropyl alcohol overnight, and that did the trick.
4jUjjCx.jpg

Next up was the artwork. After spending hours in Photoshop on different ideas, I decided on a Neo 29 theme. I found a Neo 29 control panel scan and got to work. This is how it started out:
qLE5A0M.jpg

Then this is how it turned out with some Photoshop work. The SNK logo wasn't going to be in the artwork with how I was going to crop it, so I left it. After that I added everything else you'll see in the finished product.
HHfHHis.jpg

With the artwork taken care of, I moved onto modifying the stick itself. These HORI sticks of this era weren't just plug and play to swap the buttons. The control panel needed to be modified since there were metal tabs that prevented normal Seimitsu buttons from fitting. After grinding and sanding the tabs down flush with the rest of the hole, the CP was ready for all its new hardware. Seimitsu screw in buttons, and a Sanwa JLF with a 2lb spring. The JLF also needed modification to fit, with four holes being drilled through the restrictor gate to use the original mounting screws.
5eXiF6g.jpg

After all that work I was ready to finally build the stick. I had the artwork printed on a durable matte vinyl and got that placed on the control panel. I got a DB15/Neo Geo wiring harness, installed the JLF and buttons, and wired everything using quick disconnects for ease of future repair. With everything back assembled, this is the final product. I'm really happy with it, and it's been my main Neo stick ever since.
3dW9Vcb.jpg

I dig it. it looks boss.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Yes, on the actual topic of the thread, really nice design.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Nice, I have a pair of these sticks I've had over a decade. The appeal of modding one like you did is definitely high, but I don't know if I have the time or patience to take on such a project any time soon. Great job it looks great and the parts upgrade is well worth it.