Thread: My Neo 29 inspired custom arcade stick - Tekken 5 PS2 to Neo Geo

Crossed Swords Squire

My Neo 29 inspired custom arcade stick - Tekken 5 PS2 to Neo Geo

Hey guys, I wanted to share the first arcade stick that I really overhauled for myself, and I'm definitely proud of the way it turned out. This is my Neo 29 inspired HORI Tekken 5 10th anniversary PS2 stick that I converted to be used with the Neo Geo.

This is how the stick started out, like any old HORI Tekken 5 stick for PS2. This stick has to be one of my favorites to modify. It feels solid, and has a great weight to it. I started off by fully disassembling the stick. I then heated the original overlay with a hair dryer, and it peeled off. To get rid of the adhesive left over I soaked the control panel in isopropyl alcohol overnight, and that did the trick.

Next up was the artwork. After spending hours in Photoshop on different ideas, I decided on a Neo 29 theme. I found a Neo 29 control panel scan and got to work. This is how it started out:

Then this is how it turned out with some Photoshop work. The SNK logo wasn't going to be in the artwork with how I was going to crop it, so I left it. After that I added everything else you'll see in the finished product.

With the artwork taken care of, I moved onto modifying the stick itself. These HORI sticks of this era weren't just plug and play to swap the buttons. The control panel needed to be modified since there were metal tabs that prevented normal Seimitsu buttons from fitting. After grinding and sanding the tabs down flush with the rest of the hole, the CP was ready for all its new hardware. Seimitsu screw in buttons, and a Sanwa JLF with a 2lb spring. The JLF also needed modification to fit, with four holes being drilled through the restrictor gate to use the original mounting screws.

After all that work I was ready to finally build the stick. I had the artwork printed on a durable matte vinyl and got that placed on the control panel. I got a DB15/Neo Geo wiring harness, installed the JLF and buttons, and wired everything using quick disconnects for ease of future repair. With everything back assembled, this is the final product. I'm really happy with it, and it's been my main Neo stick ever since.

Nice mod job! I had that Tekken stick back in the day...and I have no idea what happened to it. lol

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

This post was just as long winded as (D)orc.one's but the difference is you actually showed us, from beginning to end, a quality project.

Well done!

Camel Slug

This is a perfect example of designing THEN doing. That controller looks good man.
    http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1130/blastcitylogo.jpg

-餓狼伝説弟子-

Very nice!

超えるべき奴がいる。

北斗神拳は無敵だ。

Cheng's Errand Boy

I would have liked to seen more 3D mockups but it turned out great! The matte vinyl has a nice look to it and the printing turned out really well.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Here you are. I'm a professional arcade sticks designer. Been designing arcade sticks for 25 years now. It's only missing some details but you get that the final shape will be rectangularish.

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawwa View Post

Here you are. I'm a professional arcade sticks designer. Been designing arcade sticks for 25 years now. It's only missing some details but you get that the final shape will be rectangularish.
    The use of turquoise has given me a rock hard erection.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Hawwa View Post

I'm in awe of your abilities. I didn't think there was much left to improve on arcade sticks but you've figured out how to make one without all the expensive components like buttons, sticks, and art!

Cheng's Errand Boy

Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    The use of turquoise has given me a rock hard erection.
    That's what inspires me when I'm designing, giving people boners.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Meat View Post
    I'm in awe of your abilities. I didn't think there was much left to improve on arcade sticks but you've figured out how to make one without all the expensive components like buttons, sticks, and art!
    Thanks. You know. Stay hungry, stay orcish.

Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Digmac View Post
    Hey guys, I wanted to share the first arcade stick that I really overhauled for myself, and I'm definitely proud of the way it turned out. This is my Neo 29 inspired HORI Tekken 5 10th anniversary PS2 stick that I converted to be used with the Neo Geo.

This is how the stick started out, like any old HORI Tekken 5 stick for PS2. This stick has to be one of my favorites to modify. It feels solid, and has a great weight to it. I started off by fully disassembling the stick. I then heated the original overlay with a hair dryer, and it peeled off. To get rid of the adhesive left over I soaked the control panel in isopropyl alcohol overnight, and that did the trick.

Next up was the artwork. After spending hours in Photoshop on different ideas, I decided on a Neo 29 theme. I found a Neo 29 control panel scan and got to work. This is how it started out:

Then this is how it turned out with some Photoshop work. The SNK logo wasn't going to be in the artwork with how I was going to crop it, so I left it. After that I added everything else you'll see in the finished product.

With the artwork taken care of, I moved onto modifying the stick itself. These HORI sticks of this era weren't just plug and play to swap the buttons. The control panel needed to be modified since there were metal tabs that prevented normal Seimitsu buttons from fitting. After grinding and sanding the tabs down flush with the rest of the hole, the CP was ready for all its new hardware. Seimitsu screw in buttons, and a Sanwa JLF with a 2lb spring. The JLF also needed modification to fit, with four holes being drilled through the restrictor gate to use the original mounting screws.

After all that work I was ready to finally build the stick. I had the artwork printed on a durable matte vinyl and got that placed on the control panel. I got a DB15/Neo Geo wiring harness, installed the JLF and buttons, and wired everything using quick disconnects for ease of future repair. With everything back assembled, this is the final product. I'm really happy with it, and it's been my main Neo stick ever since.
    I dig it. it looks boss.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Yes, on the actual topic of the thread, really nice design.

King's Dry Cleaner

Nice, I have a pair of these sticks I've had over a decade. The appeal of modding one like you did is definitely high, but I don't know if I have the time or patience to take on such a project any time soon. Great job it looks great and the parts upgrade is well worth it.

Thread Information