Galaxy Guns - New Shmup/Run'n Gun from Neotris Developer

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I noticed no one posted this yet.

Chips on Steroids (Neotris) has begun the development of Galaxy Guns for NEOGEO AES/MVS. It mixes run'n gun and shmup phases. A playable demo should be out by September.

I think I was a little too hard on Neotris when it was first announced. If they do a rom release of that, it will be great, and if they could offer a reasonably priced rom download for Galaxy Guns, I'll be happy.

Thanks to Arcade Belgium for the description text I just copied above.
https://twitter.com/arcadebelgium/status/1264411212714061824

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Please no prerende- ah fuck.

At least a shooter is infinitely more interesting than a tetris clone.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I like the music (though it'sobviously just random music) and the tude but it seems like something not very neo geo like. Put on Dreamcast and call it a day.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Game definitely has a Dreamcast vibe about it. I think I'll wait until more footage arrives before deciding how I feel about it all.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It might look a little more Neo Geo-like once it's rendered in Neo Geo resolution.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I don’t like the design of his games for the Neo Geo. Dreamcast is more like it like others have said, or a mobile game from the App Store. :lolz: Nothing in the design of his games speaks Neo Geo to me. If it’s a cheap ROM download then that’s fine. If someone wants to create a new game on the Neo Geo then I’m all for it, but it’s 2020, don’t be lazy and show us what the platform can really do in terms of spritework. Even if it takes longer to develop over pre-rendered 3D, beautiful spritework made the Neo Geo experience in my opinion. I can get 3D from any newer platform, better than what the Neo Geo could do. Detailed sprites and backgrounds is an art though, and the Neo Geo is king in that department.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I don’t like the design of his games for the Neo Geo. Dreamcast is more like it like others have said, or a mobile game from the App Store. :lolz: Nothing in the design of his games speaks Neo Geo to me. If it’s a cheap ROM download then that’s fine. If someone wants to create a new game on the Neo Geo then I’m all for it, but it’s 2020, don’t be lazy and show us what the platform can really do in terms of spritework. Even if it takes longer to develop over pre-rendered 3D, beautiful spritework made the Neo Geo experience in my opinion. I can get 3D from any newer platform, better than what the Neo Geo could do. Detailed sprites and backgrounds is an art though, and the Neo Geo is king in that department.

I said that exact thing in 10 different ways on the Neotris thread, not only it's some generic ass prerendered 3D but it's cell shaded too. Looks super cheap. Yeah, doing 2D art is not easy but given that they're gonna go for the collector bait physical cartridges they could very well afford a decent artist to help in their game projects.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This is saddening and maddening, please stop.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
It kinda looks like they took the title screen from Viewpoint and thought they could make a game out of it. It's a bunch of wobbly, spinning ships. If you have a game to announce, announce a game and not a shoddy work in concept with no gameplay. I really hope this isn't up for pre-order or anything yet.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Nothing about this screams Neo Geo. It's only being released so they can attempt to charge NG Dev prices for a cart. This belongs in the bargain bin section of steam, not the Neo Geo. I wish these guys would just fuck off.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
There's absolutely no art direction in these graphics. It's incredibly boring to look at. Also the "Garage Band" premade loops aren't doing it any favors.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Buncha sockcuckers want that NG DEV money without putting in the NG DEV effort.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
gross.

find an artist to work with or stahp

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
And then people complain about NEGDev. Jep the waiting times for Kraut B are enormous but at least they are putting out sth good looking and playable.

I mean that thing looks like garbage...

It is possible to do sth really good even with low manpower! Axiom Verge anyone?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Wouldn't say there is no art direction here as it does seem to take after late 90s early 00s shooters and games in general - stuff you would play on DC GBA and whatever else. Stuff like Radigry. Music is fitting. It's just not an easy fit for neo geo.
I am still an ngdev detractor but they do put the work in and I can appreciate that.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Wouldn't say there is no art direction here as it does seem to take after late 90s early 00s shooters and games in general - stuff you would play on DC GBA and whatever else. Stuff like Radigry. Music is fitting. It's just not an easy fit for neo geo.
I am still an ngdev detractor but they do put the work in and I can appreciate that.

Milestone has a very specific art style - it's not just shitty cel-shaded objects. And no, this isn't even on the level of GBA/DC. It's HEAVILY lacking art direction. Something I tell the Junior ADs that work for me, "it needs more layers", not necessarily more stuff, but more thought. You can tell when something is quickly tossed together. This video shows something that was way too early to be revealed. I'll hold judgement until they show more, but if I am reacting to this video: throw it back or kill it.

Edit: it reminds me of early 90's shareware...in a bad way

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Looking at that gave me the galaxy runs.

Missile

Another Striker
It's too early to say much about this at the moment - looks like a tech demo, there's no game there yet.

I get the impression with some of the newer developers making games for the Neo Geo - they figure out how to make a game - and that's enough for them. They just kind of put it together without much thought about how to make the game-play shine. BUT I'm def wiling to give these guys a chance. No one should be writing them off already. .

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Milestone has a very specific art style - it's not just shitty cel-shaded objects. And no, this isn't even on the level of GBA/DC. It's HEAVILY lacking art direction. Something I tell the Junior ADs that work for me, "it needs more layers", not necessarily more stuff, but more thought. You can tell when something is quickly tossed together. This video shows something that was way too early to be revealed. I'll hold judgement until they show more, but if I am reacting to this video: throw it back or kill it.

Edit: it reminds me of early 90's shareware...in a bad way

Yeah honestly not a fan of Radigry visually or any of that stuff I mentioned save maybe Jet Set Radio. So to me it all looks the same