Graphic Design for an Imaginary MVS NG/arcade console

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
View attachment 56684

Guise, I want to build a non-Euclidean imaginary 6-Slot. Plz give good feedback. If someone does all of the work for me and pays for all of the materials this will be done. Probably.

Does this have coax?

Also Dorc.One keeps saying he needs more info, but he never asked one fucking question.

This is my favorite thread of 2020

Last edited:

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
So, just caught up on the last two pages since I last checked in (busy weekend). Still not one question from Dorc.One. Seriously, if you're here to "learn", then ask detailed questions and stop asserting yourself and your "skill set."

Pro-Tip from a graphic and instructional designer: Use the ADDIE model next time you start a project. Analysis, Design, Develop, Implement, Evaluate. You jumped right into the the design phase before any analysis has been done. You haven't asked one question and began designing a solution for...a yet unidentified audience or need.

If you want information, make an informed post asking the questions you need answers to in order to get your project off the ground. Not all ideas are good ideas, and if it is determined your idea isn't something that is needed, wanted, or even viable AFTER analysis, then move on.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
So, just caught up on the last two pages since I last checked in (busy weekend). Still not one question from Dorc.One. Seriously, if you're here to "learn", then ask detailed questions and stop asserting yourself and your "skill set."

Pro-Tip from a graphic and instructional designer: Use the ADDIE model next time you start a project. Analysis, Design, Develop, Implement, Evaluate. You jumped right into the the design phase before any analysis has been done. You haven't asked one question and began designing a solution for...a yet unidentified audience or need.

If you want information, make an informed post asking the questions you need answers to in order to get your project off the ground. Not all ideas are good ideas, and if it is determined your idea isn't something that is needed, wanted, or even viable AFTER analysis, then move on.

So much this. A solution to a problem that doesn't exist is a waste of time and energy. Jumping way ahead in the process is a recipe for failure.

Does this have coax?

It has an internal RF to HDMI upscaler. This is what peak performance looks like.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
You plebs will grovel when Project Martensite commands the marketplace. You'll come back when these products sell out immediately, begging to skip the line. PM boxes will be full and you will resort to eBay, only to find auctions that have reached insurmountable levels. But those prices will be well-deserved, due to the apotheosis of design language fulfilled by Project Martensite.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You plebs will grovel when Project Martensite commands the marketplace. You'll come back when these products sell out immediately, begging to skip the line. PM boxes will be full and you will resort to eBay, only to find auctions that have reached insurmountable levels. But those prices will be well-deserved, due to the apotheosis of design language fulfilled by Project Martensite.

:lolz:

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Yeah, but did you see there's either a difficulty setting knob, or a game timer?

It's an autism knob. If you can't beat the game before the timer runs out you go insane and design 3D doodles of imaginary CMVS consoles and post them on the NG forum only to be met with ridicule.

It's kinda like the ring, but with autism.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
There comes a point when I don’t even think this is human. Just some sentient mass made up of 50% neck, and 50% beard, transcribing it’s mentally deranged thoughts by repeatedly slamming what you could vaguely describe as its its face on an RGB keyboard covered in its own saliva, as it dribbles out of the orifice that exists as a combination of its mouth / asshole.

orc.one

n00b

Then you missed this reference to it: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?279943-Neo-Geo-MVS-Dimensions

It's up there, if you've really read the thread.

Use the ADDIE model next time you start a project. Analysis, Design, Develop, Implement, Evaluate. You jumped right into the the design phase before any analysis has been done. You haven't asked one question and began designing a solution for...a yet unidentified audience or need.

Turns out, a lot of this work was actually done:

A. Audience: just one person. Me. Might learn welding, and wind up with a cabinet for an arcade PCB or two.

Good idea.

And analysis complete. Onward.

D. We're now back at design, where I "jumped right into the design phase" with my conceptual graphic design above (just like the subject line says: imaginary).

I see no reason to deem it viable, considering I'll mostly need steel sheets cut to order and I've witnessed steel being welded, so that part's not a mystery.

Design work on this will continue, time permitting.

D. *** pending completion of design ***
I. *** pending ***
E. *** pending ***

This seems really formal for doing something hand-made in my spare time.

So I have to be informed if I want to learn … information.

That does seem sound. My ignorance is just going to have to wait until I know better.

Snark aside, I did learn something; I'd never really heard of ADDIE.

Not sure it really offers me much, most of my hobby projects have been small, one-offs, or things essentially accomplished in a few weeks or so.

But I defer to your expertise.

Also Dorc.One keeps saying he needs more info, but he never asked one fucking question.

See above.

A solution to a problem that doesn't exist is a waste of time and energy. Jumping way ahead in the process is a recipe for failure.

Interesting, and something worth discussing.

So what if it is?

Aren't all hobbies a "waste of time and energy"?

That's not why hobbies exist—they exist for impractical reasons.

What would "success" in this case look like to you? If I made one for myself, that'd be a success in one sense, but I don't see it as that essential, because I have finite resources and tend to be realistic. If my goal is the more modest (and cheaper) completion of step 2, I'd deem that a success. (If nothing else, I'd have successfully completed step 2.)

I'm not going into the manufacturing business. Think. Shipping a heavy stainless steel box from up here would be really costly. Probably cheaper to make something on your own.

Am I reinventing the wheel? Maybe I sort of am, and that's kind of a good way to put it. Why not reinvent one occasionally if you want to learn about it?

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Turns out, a lot of this work was actually done:

A. Audience: just one person. Me. Might learn welding, and wind up with a cabinet for an arcade PCB or two.
If this is such a personal quest then why is it here?
Good idea.

And analysis complete. Onward.
lolno. Your entire """""analysis""""" was "I wanna draw a picture!".
D. We're now back at design, where I "jumped right into the design phase" with my conceptual graphic design above (just like the subject line says: imaginary).

I see no reason to deem it viable, considering I'll mostly need steel sheets cut to order and I've witnessed steel being welded, so that part's not a mystery.

Design work on this will continue, time permitting.
You see no reason to deem it viable, you can't even conceive a way it could be made...buuut....design work will continue when you can muster enough willpower to continue this pointless task. How do you not see the problem with your own internal logic on this?

D. *** pending completion of design ***
I. *** pending ***
E. *** pending ***

This seems really formal for doing something hand-made in my spare time.
But I thought you couldn't just go out to the garage and cut material? Are you planning on making this or not? I thought you couldn't afford anything and you wanted other people to do all of the work for you (which is even more expensive). You make these statements that you're going to do this and that and then you immediately make excuses about why you can't. This is exactly why everyone's telling you you're wasting your breath because you're not going to do anything. It's obvious you want someone to give you a gold star for effort and a pat on the back, but you're not producing anything. You're just think you're sounding smart and motivated on the internet without any actual substance.
So I have to be informed if I want to learn … information.

That does seem sound. My ignorance is just going to have to wait until I know better.
This is called due diligence. You make no effort to research something yourself until you get to a roadblock. You just want to be spoonfed information from experts to the point where they're doing the work for you.

The information you need is out there. If it's not then figure it out. You don't know where the cartridge slots are on a 6-slot and nobody online has an answer for you? Buy a 6-slot and measure it. This isn't complicated. Especially since you claim to want to build one, getting the MVS board should have been the first step. It takes an extremely experienced designer to build something around purely nebulous measurements. Again, you just don't want to put in the time or resources to accomplish anything.
Snark aside, I did learn something; I'd never really heard of ADDIE.

Not sure it really offers me much, most of my hobby projects have been small, one-offs, or things essentially accomplished in a few weeks or so.
This isn't as hard as you think it is. You're just lacking any self-awareness to realize your biases towards this concept.

Interesting, and something worth discussing.

So what if it is?

Aren't all hobbies a "waste of time and energy"?

That's not why hobbies exist—they exist for impractical reasons.
"Reductionist arguments make me look smart".
What would "success" in this case look like to you? If I made one for myself, that'd be a success in one sense, but I don't see it as that essential, because I have finite resources and tend to be realistic. If my goal is the more modest (and cheaper) completion of step 2, I'd deem that a success. (If nothing else, I'd have successfully completed step 2.)

I'm not going into the manufacturing business. Think. Shipping a heavy stainless steel box from up here would be really costly. Probably cheaper to make something on your own.
Success would look exactly like actually building it. That's the hard part. But you keep moving the goal posts back and back and back because you don't want to do the hard part.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member

Lol...what kind of low-bar success criteria is that? If that's all you want to do then design a perpetual motion machine, nuclear fusion solution, or a corona vaccine. You will have nothing but success feathers to add to your gay ass cap.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The big metal box that holds MVS boards, already exists. Is called cab.

Why not learn to weld a cab shell?

Jackpot!

https://hard--candy.com

Measurements and other info^

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If you could learn to fabricate a candy cab from scratch, you'd be the talk of the town.

Don't let these people stifle your creativity!

Bratwurst

Rugal's Thug
This thread is inspirational. The orc.one website sets my imagination afire.

wYT1HxM.jpg

I was driven to make my own design.

6f15xgj.png

Status
Not open for further replies.