Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 107

Thread: Graphic Design for an Imaginary MVS NG/arcade console

  1. #26
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    12,974
    Quote Originally Posted by orc.one View Post
    That means dealing with your crap is relatively trivial. It was just an insult, no offense was intended.


    I thought I was clear about what I needed, but let me unpack that more:

    1. Working this material is unfamiliar to me. And it is difficult and EXPENSIVE. Therefore I will require better info than I currently have, if I want to proceed. Precision isn't just ideal, it's the minimum needed to proceed.

      From an absolutely practical standpoint, I can't proceed without better information. My process demands a paper/digital approach, which means I'm not going to touch an acetylene torch or my wallet until I know exactly where I'm going.

    2. I cannot just "go to the garage and cut some material" — stainless steel isn't wood. I have no shop gear for cutting metal at this scale, which means I am obliged to pay for shop time to get it done, which leads us back to 1.

      Now, could I do this in wood? Yes. Am I? No. (See design notes above for details.)

    3. This is part of a larger process. And I'm sharing. Is that a problem? Now, is that my problem?

      Your challenge to me is uninformed and slightly frustrating because "just go do it" misses the fact there's often a process involved, and that I need to start somewhere. Some of you appear to find that personally irritating, which, frankly, is bizarre, unless you are exclusively used to having things handed to you whole and complete without any trace of sweat on it. I wish I lived in that world, but I generally have to start somewhere.

      Again, I am here to learn about the Neo Geo.

    4. I also never promised to make this for another reason: the cost. The price of steel isn't cheap or trivial, but if this is something others are better suited or prepared for, they should go for it.

      I won't promise to make anything if it turns out I can't afford to make it.





    Or I deemed it less appropriate, given that:

    Attachment 56668

    If I were making fan art, I probably would have posted it there. But this isn't fan art, as I said above.

    Also, as I have stated, the fact that I have minimal to no prior experience with your hobby should suggest something about the concept of "fan" and my status thereof.

    There are things I'm definitely a fan of. The Neo Geo hasn't been one of them—because my experience differed from yours. To me it's indistinguishable from most other forms of arcade entertainment, which itself was limited because of my own upbringing.

    It was mere light and noise from an expensive, darkened room. At the time when it was new, I was just not interested in it, partly because I was "playing" with big iron and doing cutting edge stuff with 3D graphics. (And not to put too fine a point on it, I was staring at a CRT for 10+ hours a day—coming home usually meant I wanted to do other things instead.)

    And, paradoxically, I was too old for that sort of entertainment. Had I participated then, it would not have held my attention.

    But something happened: I got even older, and the old 2D artistry of electronic entertainment had mystery and appeal.



    You're in luck.

  2. #27
    . orc.one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Alaska

    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    Yeah, sorry, but I don't get you.


    Quote Originally Posted by basic View Post
    i am now subscribed to this thread. please let me know when pre-order is available. i'm willing to pay in advance and wait over 5 years. limited updates throughout the process, is okay.
    Why wait when you can participate? Preorders are immediately payable to you, by acquiring materials you need to make it come true.

    If you have any MVS PCBs, you're ahead of the preorder line already.
    Last edited by orc.one; 05-25-2020 at 05:03 PM.

  3. #28
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    12,974
    Quote Originally Posted by orc.one View Post
    Yeah, sorry, but I don't get you.

  4. #29
    Ninja Combat Warrior
    redfield0009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dallas

    Posts
    677
    I spent the vast majority of today reviewing the design of this console. I don't know what happened exactly... but I see the vision. I have a proof of concept prototype ready but I need YOUR help to see this vision come to life.

    If anyone would to pre-order now is the time:













    20200525_172119_19.jpg

    20200525_172140_19.jpg
    http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1130/blastcitylogo.jpg

  5. #30
    Cheng's Errand Boy
    Dr. Meat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by redfield0009 View Post
    I spent the vast majority of today reviewing the design of this console. I don't know what happened exactly... but I see the vision. I have a proof of concept prototype ready but I need YOUR help to see this vision come to life.

    If anyone would to pre-order now is the time:













    20200525_172119_19.jpg

    20200525_172140_19.jpg
    Do you have a platinum tier early adopter limited edition 1/25 x-tra special edition I could preorder. I have $5,000 that I must spend on this item that will never make it to market. It can only be described as "art" in its purest form.

  6. #31
    Ninja Combat Warrior
    redfield0009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dallas

    Posts
    677
    Early adopters get the very limited "Legend of Success Joe" themed CMVS. There will only be 10 of these ever made.

    Other perks for early adopters include dinner with the creative team at Waffle House, and a SNK bumper sticker.

    In order to bring this to market I need to raise enough money to purchase an English AES copy of Metal Slug 2 and Ramen noodles.

    This project will launch on indigogo or whichever one doesn't give refunds.

    The Future Is Now

    http://orc.one/
    Last edited by redfield0009; 05-25-2020 at 05:54 PM.
    http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1130/blastcitylogo.jpg

  7. #32
    Takuma's Nurse
    andsuchisdeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    20XX SLUM

    Posts
    6,913
    Quote Originally Posted by orc.one View Post
    [*]I do not own any Neo Geo hardware at this time, though this may change.[*]I have never encountered the hardware in the real world, and have only recently played some of the games in emulation.
    "Hello, I've recently become aware of an invention known as the wheel. I've never actually encountered one before, however, I've already begun to devise a way to reinvent it".

    Then again, I'm not familiar with the ambitions and thought processes (typical?) of designers.

    Perhaps I'm the one with the strange line of thought!
    Last edited by andsuchisdeath; 05-25-2020 at 05:55 PM.

  8. #33
    Cheng's Errand Boy
    Dr. Meat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by andsuchisdeath View Post
    "Hello, I've recently become aware of an invention known as the wheel. I've never actually encountered one before, however, I've already begun to devise a way to reinvent it".

    Then again, I'm not familiar with the ambitions and thought processes (typical?) of designers.

    Perhaps I'm the one with the strange line of thought!
    This isn't the thought process of a typical designer. This is the thought process of someone trying to extract some use out of their art degree without having any money, talent, resources, or willpower to actually accomplish anything.

  9. #34
    Ninja Combat Warrior
    redfield0009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dallas

    Posts
    677
    Oh fuck
    http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1130/blastcitylogo.jpg

  10. #35
    Mr. Big's Thug
    Digmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lolifoxgirl's basement

    Posts
    215

  11. #36
    Who?
    Atro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Game Room.

    Posts
    8,495
    Quote Originally Posted by orc.one View Post
    Doooooooo I really need to recap things I've said here? Nobody else seems to be doing it, but when in the neo geo forums ... ok:

    My name is Scott.
    • I am an artist and a designer.
    • I am here to learn about the Neo Geo.
    • I am designing some cases for MVS PCBs.
    • I do not own any Neo Geo hardware at this time, though this may change.
    • I have never encountered the hardware in the real world, and have only recently played some of the games in emulation.
    • I have little to no interest in the AES; it's not an arcade machine.
    • I live in Alaska, but have lived all over the world.
    • Designing is doing.
    • I am also interested in vintage UNIX hardware, evolutionary biology, evo-devo, tabletop, and social media site development, but that's not important.
    • My wife is none of your business. She's cool. You are not.
    • A statement of fact cannot be insolent.


    Incidentally, if anyone who has the materials wants to make something I've designed, I'd love to see photos of the work-in-progress.

    Meanwhile, I am limited as to what I can actually make myself. Apparently, MVS PCBs don't grow on trees—not up here anyway—and I lack some key ingredients.



    1. Really? Which is your favorite? We can talk about them instead if you like. Would putting you at the center of the conversation be more to your liking?

    2. It's a screenshot, not a render. If it were a render I'd have used shaders and not used a screenshot.

    3. It's an update of what I'm working on, not a promise, not a product, not something you can buy, but you could make it yourself if you chose to. And indeed, if you own any of the hardware, you would be ahead in the process, as I have only been able to receive a limited amount of information here.

    Otherwise, your objection appears whiny and entitled to me. I think the best benefit to ignoring me may be for your blood pressure.
    bro, chill. this is a welcome. ng.com style.

    if ya cant deal with this, you gotta find somewhere else to hang around.

  12. #37
    . orc.one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Alaska

    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Meat View Post
    This isn't the thought process of a typical designer.

    Ok. Enlighten me. What is?


    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Meat View Post
    This is the thought process of someone trying to extract some use out of their art degree without having any money, talent, resources, or willpower to actually accomplish anything.
    Literally none of this describes me. (Though money…that's an unknown, something dependent on other as yet unknowns.)

    Where did I ever promise to make this? I just wanted some info so I could design it, and, resources permitting, make one for myself.

    There are no perks, no product, no promise, no kickstarter, only a personal project. I am selling you…nothing. I'm designing it for me, and apparently oversharing the start.

    The mockups I made appear to have touched a nerve in some way I had no way of knowing about.

    Quote Originally Posted by andsuchisdeath View Post
    "Hello, I've recently become aware of an invention known as the wheel. I've never actually encountered one before, however, I've already begun to devise a way to reinvent it".
    Your mileage may vary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Atro View Post
    bro, chill. this is a welcome. ng.com style.

    if ya cant deal with this, you gotta find somewhere else to hang around.
    Oh. I thought we were done with all that. I get wordy when I don't understand why people seem really upset over something which seems relatively trivial.

    Ok, so we're actually cool?

  13. #38
    B
    ASS
    IC
    basic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ???

    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by orc.one View Post
    [LIST=1][*]Working this material is unfamiliar to me. And it is difficult and EXPENSIVE. Therefore I will require better info than I currently have, if I want to proceed. Precision isn't just ideal, it's the minimum needed to proceed.

    From an absolutely practical standpoint, I can't proceed without better information. My process demands a paper/digital approach, which means I'm not going to touch an acetylene torch or my wallet until I know exactly where I'm going.

    [*]I cannot just "go to the garage and cut some material" — stainless steel isn't wood. I have no shop gear for cutting metal at this scale, which means I am obliged to pay for shop time to get it done, which leads us back to 1.

    Now, could I do this in wood? Yes. Am I? No. (See design notes above for details.)
    This makes me think you've never actually worked. So you are telling me there is no such thing as prototyping? So you mean, for example, they don't do anything like...clay modeling for prototyping car designs (something infinitely more complex than what you are doing) prior to working with the actual materials?
    Hey Tak, can you see this?

    8=======D~~~~(x^_^)b (Tak)

  14. #39
    . orc.one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Alaska

    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by basic View Post
    This makes me think you've never actually worked. So you are telling me there is no such thing as prototyping? So you mean, for example, they don't do anything like...clay modeling for prototyping car designs (something infinitely more complex than what you are doing) prior to working with the actual materials?
    I have 30 years in print design, slightly less for 3D (no degree), but if you mean I have never worked in manufacturing, that's correct. I've done some 2.5D one-offs for some projects (like as a model of Microraptor gui) made of gator board or poster board, but that's about it.

    I have access to some folk with actual industrial design degrees, and they tell me this is about right—at least so far. I've been deferring to their experience, but someone probably always knows more.

    I don't envision anything that complicated; room for PCB, PS, port holes cut for interfaces, vents, power &c. Maybe a control system to make it slightly more convenient, but that's all internals. It seems pretty basic to me.

    If I did make this, it would be welded together with hard points for tapping screws for the internal components. I didn't think I needed to prototype anything at this stage, apart from maybe a cardboard mockup or something. I'd just do some plans, get the parts fabbed, then get some instruction on welding, then put it together.

    I have to pay for shop time in another town, so I'd like to have all the info I needed before starting. Even to make a prototype, wouldn't I still need to know where to put cartridge ports? And I don't have that info yet.
    Last edited by orc.one; 05-25-2020 at 08:01 PM.

  15. #40
    Yamazaki's Pupil

    StevenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK

    Posts
    5,138
    I would be interested in seeing some jagged images of your wife being 6-slotted.

  16. #41
    B
    ASS
    IC
    basic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ???

    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenK View Post
    I would be interested in seeing some jagged images of your wife being 6-slotted.
    that's cutting edge 3D, buddy.
    Hey Tak, can you see this?

    8=======D~~~~(x^_^)b (Tak)

  17. #42
    Yamazaki's Pupil

    StevenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK

    Posts
    5,138
    Quote Originally Posted by redfield0009 View Post
    I spent the vast majority of today reviewing the design of this console. I don't know what happened exactly... but I see the vision. I have a proof of concept prototype ready but I need YOUR help to see this vision come to life.

    If anyone would to pre-order now is the time:













    20200525_172119_19.jpg

    20200525_172140_19.jpg
    Pfft, that does not look absurdly durable.

  18. #43
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    12,974
    Quote Originally Posted by basic View Post
    that's cutting edge 3D, buddy.
    No, that's prime content brah. (Presumably)
    Last edited by lachlan; 05-26-2020 at 02:54 AM.

  19. #44
    Moterator. theMot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The island of shielas, wogs and poofters.

    Posts
    5,848
    Quote Originally Posted by orc.one View Post
    That means dealing with your crap is relatively trivial. It was just an insult, no offense was intended.


    I thought I was clear about what I needed, but let me unpack that more:

    1. Working this material is unfamiliar to me. And it is difficult and EXPENSIVE. Therefore I will require better info than I currently have, if I want to proceed. Precision isn't just ideal, it's the minimum needed to proceed.

      From an absolutely practical standpoint, I can't proceed without better information. My process demands a paper/digital approach, which means I'm not going to touch an acetylene torch or my wallet until I know exactly where I'm going.

    2. I cannot just "go to the garage and cut some material" — stainless steel isn't wood. I have no shop gear for cutting metal at this scale, which means I am obliged to pay for shop time to get it done, which leads us back to 1.

      Now, could I do this in wood? Yes. Am I? No. (See design notes above for details.)

    3. This is part of a larger process. And I'm sharing. Is that a problem? Now, is that my problem?

      Your challenge to me is uninformed and slightly frustrating because "just go do it" misses the fact there's often a process involved, and that I need to start somewhere. Some of you appear to find that personally irritating, which, frankly, is bizarre, unless you are exclusively used to having things handed to you whole and complete without any trace of sweat on it. I wish I lived in that world, but I generally have to start somewhere.

      Again, I am here to learn about the Neo Geo.

    4. I also never promised to make this for another reason: the cost. The price of steel isn't cheap or trivial, but if this is something others are better suited or prepared for, they should go for it.

      I won't promise to make anything if it turns out I can't afford to make it.





    Or I deemed it less appropriate, given that:

    Attachment 56668

    If I were making fan art, I probably would have posted it there. But this isn't fan art, as I said above.

    Also, as I have stated, the fact that I have minimal to no prior experience with your hobby should suggest something about the concept of "fan" and my status thereof.

    There are things I'm definitely a fan of. The Neo Geo hasn't been one of them—because my experience differed from yours. To me it's indistinguishable from most other forms of arcade entertainment, which itself was limited because of my own upbringing.

    It was mere light and noise from an expensive, darkened room. At the time when it was new, I was just not interested in it, partly because I was "playing" with big iron and doing cutting edge stuff with 3D graphics. (And not to put too fine a point on it, I was staring at a CRT for 10+ hours a day—coming home usually meant I wanted to do other things instead.)

    And, paradoxically, I was too old for that sort of entertainment. Had I participated then, it would not have held my attention.

    But something happened: I got even older, and the old 2D artistry of electronic entertainment had mystery and appeal.



    You're in luck.
    Were you injected with autism?
    Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    This place is a pool of toxic garbage. A bunch of old, grumpy, hateful, negative, hater assholes that don't even play Neo Geo.

  20. #45
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    12,974
    Someone change his username to Dorc.one

  21. #46
    Moterator. theMot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The island of shielas, wogs and poofters.

    Posts
    5,848
    Cawk.one
    Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    This place is a pool of toxic garbage. A bunch of old, grumpy, hateful, negative, hater assholes that don't even play Neo Geo.

  22. #47
    Crazed MVS Addict
    Hawwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Spain

    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by orc.one View Post
    Since I don't have precise measurements, slot positions on a 6-slot MVS case are provisional:Attachment 56660
    Attachment 56661
    Attachment 56662

    I think this approaches the overall design language I'm pursuing.
    Do you make a living designing things like this?

    I mean... 22 years ago I was way ahead of this using solidedge FOR THE FIRST TIME, and being 17yo...
    Last edited by Hawwa; 05-26-2020 at 07:07 AM.

  23. #48
    Dogg-Father
    Neodogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH

    Posts
    3,377
    gets really boring up in Alaska I guess...
    _ _ ___________________________ _ _
    People I've delt with:
    |Steve Rhine|Vinh|Jeff Kurtz|Kenny Boy|Big Bear|Fox1|Bones|Kid Aphex|Bluevoodu|Kubikiri Basara|Shawn|Michael Yagami|

  24. #49
    Cheng's Errand Boy
    Dr. Meat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Posts
    128
    20200526_090024.jpg

    Guise, I want to build a non-Euclidean imaginary 6-Slot. Plz give good feedback. If someone does all of the work for me and pays for all of the materials this will be done. Probably.

  25. #50
    Neo-Geo.com's
    Top Rated Bully.
    FilthyRear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Parking in handicap spaces, while handicapped people make handicapped faces

    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by orc.one View Post
    Since I don't have precise measurements, slot positions on a 6-slot MVS case are provisional:Attachment 56660
    Attachment 56661
    Attachment 56662

    I think this approaches the overall design language I'm pursuing.
    LOL WHAT THE FUCK
    Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    And this is why I don't post here more often. Some truly terrible posts here.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSegaDude View Post
    There's a reason why I don't post much here...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •