Your least favorite Neo Geo game that you own.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
We all know the Neo Geo game library is a fantastic set of games. However I’m sure we have all bought a game that you think you would like but then you get it and think “ahh this is just ok” or even “this game sucks.” The game that disappointed me was the original Fatal fury on the AES.

Luckily It’s a cheap game and the cover art is bad ass but because I’ve played king of fighters games for years. The game that started it all was a bit disappointing and it’s very basic. The two attack button configuration kinda threw me for a loop too.

It’s still a good game but it doesn’t hold up compared to the later games. I very rarely ever play it but I do like the arm wrestling mini games in between rounds. What Neo Geo game do you own that’s your least favorite?

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Ghost Pilots is a title worthy of this thread.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I own a copy of KOF 98 that I imported from Japan, and I’ve played it once. I’d say it’s my least favorite because I have no desire to play it. I’m way more of a Samurai Shodown fan, hence why I completed the set. I get lost in all of the mechanics of KOF.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Ghost Pilots is a title worthy of this thread.

Yeah, this game is really tedious. The levels are too long and too slow. The powerups are boring. The background art isn't very good. Overall it's definitely one of the most disappointing games on the system.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
I no longer own this game. I traded it the day after I got it, but Shock Troopers 2nd Squad.

The garbage graphics, terrible soundtrack, and constant slow down just made it a chore to play. I think I beat 2 levels and turned it off lol.

My current collection is very small. 5 AES games and like 8 MVS, but since I have to pick from that I nominate Metal Slug 4.

I don’t hate it as much as I used to, in fact I've found a lot to like about it.... but... it lacks a lot to be desired. I can forgive the lack of real interesting branching paths. MS3 is hard to follow in that aspect, but fully destructible environments are gone, levels are literally taken from other games, and it has a much more grind type of game play where they just want to squeeze quarters out of you. That fucking mummy path is incredibly guilty of this.

Honorable mentions are Sengoku 3. Boring boring game, and KOF 98. I think I was hyped for 98 too much before I got it and was let down by my own unrealistic expectations.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The first 2 Fatal Fury games. The art style is a bit outdated and the speed of the games are slow. Beats playing the Genesis version which I loved back in the days. Bring back great memories though.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Honorable mentions are Sengoku 3. Boring boring game, and KOF 98. I think I was hyped for 98 too much before I got it and was let down by my own unrealistic expectations.

Boy, that has to be a very good stuff you're smoking...

While I can understand to a certain extent, your choice for Sengoku 3 (I love it btw), your nomination for 98 certainly determines how good you are(nt) at versus fightoing games. It's most probably the most competitive fighter ever released by SNK and still widely play worldwide.

Not liking it is something. It's a matter of taste. But saying it let down expectations is a long shot. Some KOF's have better music. Others, better stages. But N-O-N-E have better competitive play/overall package as 98.

To stay on topic, short and simple : Football Frenzy.
Not a bad game, just less good than the others I own.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
World Heroes 2, the only game I still own. Bought it out of pure desperation.
Burning Fight was also really really bad and boring.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Used to be one of Gururin, Top Player's Golf, or Sengoku but I got rid of them.

The worst one I held onto is probably King of the Monsters.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Boy, that has to be a very good stuff you're smoking...

While I can understand to a certain extent, your choice for Sengoku 3 (I love it btw), your nomination for 98 certainly determines how good you are(nt) at versus fightoing games. It's most probably the most competitive fighter ever released by SNK and still widely play worldwide.

Not liking it is something. It's a matter of taste. But saying it let down expectations is a long shot. Some KOF's have better music. Others, better stages. But N-O-N-E have better competitive play/overall package as 98.

To stay on topic, short and simple : Football Frenzy.
Not a bad game, just less good than the others I own.

I'm not saying it's terrible or a shit game. Just that it let down my expectations. That is the one KOF that gets the most hype, but when I played it I didn't understand why. I do need to spend more time with it though. I like the KOF games but I enjoy playing more weapons based fighters like SS and Last Blade.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'd say either Fighters History Dynamite or King of the Monsters 2. Not bad, but I rarely go to them when I want my Neo fix.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Ninja Combat
It's good compared to Double Dragon, but it's not really worth playing today.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
it was probably thrash rally, before i gave it away. it wasn't terrible though.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'd say either Fighters History Dynamite

IDK if you're mostly playing this 1p or not, but IMO, the AI is VERY tough in FHD. This can obviously discourage people from playing the game enough to get even the most basic "feel" for it.

The game is much slicker than the initial impression it gives off to most people.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The worst I've ever owned was definitely Riding Hero. How did they managed to screw up a Hang On clone? I don't have it anymore though.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
IDK if you're mostly playing this 1p or not, but IMO, the AI is VERY tough in FHD. This can obviously discourage people from playing the game enough to get even the most basic "feel" for it.

The game is much slicker than the initial impression it gives off to most people.

I was playing on 1P mostly. Haven't had the chance to play it on multiplayer, so I can see how the mechanics can be better appreciated with someone else versus the AI. That being said, whenever I do play multiplayer Neo, it's usually Turf Masters, Garou, or windjammers and the thought of this one isn't always immediate.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Worst Neo game I've owned? Three Count Bout or Riding Hero - take your pick.

Game that let me down the most (that I still own)? SvC Chaos - the hit/hurt boxes are oddly placed, key animation frames on the new sprites isn't very strong which exacerbates the hit box detection issue, the music is rubbish, the backgrounds are rubbish, and some of the SF characters in KOF style are just down right ugly (Boxer and Claw especially). I think this game let me down the most because I was so crazy excited for it when it came out in 2003. I tried so hard to like this game, but I always end up feeling like its the biggest pile of missed opportunities in the entire Neo library. At least it has Demitri and unique animations across the cast for his Midnight Bliss. :D

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Worst Neo game I've owned? Three Count Bout

Calling myself a fan of Three Count Bout/Fire Suplex would be a stretch, however....

playing it with autofire/turbo transforms the game from hopelessly difficult to a light hearted romp.

If the mashing/grapple system is your biggest gripe, definitely try this.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Worst one I own?.....
KoF 94 I guess. I feel like it is still a solid game. But in my opinion almost all the later KoF titles do it better so I literally just own it to complete the set. That's it. I do own others that may be "worse" overall. But at least they offer the occasional novelty of something different. Like 3 count bout. Or even the first World Heroes. It is still entertaining to pop those in once and a while just to fiddle around. KoF 94... I just get the feeling of "I could be playing one of the better ones right now. Why am I wasting time right now?"

Last edited:

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Wow some surprising answers here for sure. I can understand the hate for ghost pilots but king of fighters 98 may one of the best Neo Geo fighting games ever. I get if you prefer samurai showdown but damn man put a big more time into it if it didn’t grab you at first play!

I almost picked up svc chaos for 700 before the covid pandemic. I hear lots of bad things about It but it looks cool to play as street fighter characters on a Neo geo platform. I may have dodged a bullet getting top hunter at a lower price point instead.

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Wow some surprising answers here for sure. I can understand the hate for ghost pilots but king of fighters 98 may one of the best Neo Geo fighting games ever. I get if you prefer samurai showdown but damn man put a big more time into it didn’t grab you at first play!

Lol, I’m not a huge fighting game fan. You asked for a personal answer and you got one. Advanced fighting game mechanics, combos, and cancels have always been tricky for me to understand and apply. It just is what it is. There are other fighting games on the Neo Geo that are much more accessible, and I choose to spend my time with those. Therefor, KOF 98 is the game that sits on my shelf the most. KOF 98 might be one of the best games on the platform, but I just don’t enjoy it. If I had someone who could sit down and teach me all the ins and outs that’s one thing, but I don’t feel like spending the time on it myself. There’s too many other games on the Neo I’d rather play than spend forever learning KOF 98.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Lol, I’m not a huge fighting game fan. You asked for a personal answer and you got one. Advanced fighting game mechanics, combos, and cancels have always been tricky for me to understand and apply. It just is what it is. There are other fighting games on the Neo Geo that are much more accessible, and I choose to spend my time with those. Therefor, KOF 98 is the game that sits on my shelf the most. KOF 98 might be one of the best games on the platform, but I just don’t enjoy it. If I had someone who could sit down and teach me all the ins and outs that’s one thing, but I don’t feel like spending the time on it myself. There’s too many other games on the Neo I’d rather play than spend forever learning KOF 98.
Fair enough, I’m not a die hard fighting fan either the metal slug series and shoot em ups are what I spend most of my time playing on Neo Geo. It’s good you at least have one king of fighters in your collection though.