MS-2930 Setup after repair

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
I’ve got a blast city chassis that was sent out for repair, they replaced some caps I believe, not sure if they touched the fly back.

I need help with the adjustments. I’ve tuned the SCREEN pot on the flyback to as high as possible without displaying jailbars, and maxed out the Brightness and almost all the way on Contrast.

But it’s still fairly dark.

I’ve verified the dips are correct and the 31khz VGA cable is not hooked up.

I’ve read a little that possibly the B+ voltage needs to be adjusted, but I’m not sure where to measure that on a 2930. I’ve found this for what I think is the auto sync chassis:

1568381e76c2cc173483c32bb26b3169.jpg

Does this apply at all?

Also, blue and green bias don’t brighten it much.

Any help is appreciated.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Find someone else to look over that chassis. I know you don't want to name the repair place, but they're work is always subpar.

My guess would be that they replaced the flyback with one of the "newly discovered" Chinese flybacks, which are always going to display a dim picture unless you do some other mods to the chassis.

Last edited:

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
Do you know how to identify that flyback?

Pots are Focus/F1 and Screen. The middle unused slot is marked F2.

I think the script at the top says muRata.

e1a9beb625599822936f48fcf32ac4d1.jpg

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
That's an original Flyback, but that's a decent sized crack in it. Is that thing arching?

My advice still sticks. Send it elsewhere.

Last edited:

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
Would there be a way to check voltages anywhere to determine the symptoms of something like a broken flyback?

I can send it out in a few months, but I’d like to see what is possible while it’s sitting here.

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
Is it normal to not have a G-Gain pot?

90af7ce7d78eddb6250950e42370facd.jpg

Just as a follow up, I accidentally adjusted the pot next to the blue cutoff pot, I believe it says SUB CONT VR204. Anyone know what this is called? It generally improved all three levels of color.

Last edited: