The post bankruptcy Neo Geo lineup, what are your picks?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm one of the lone MS4 fans too. It just seemed cool when I got it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Rage of the Dragons
Matrimelee,
KOF2003
SSVS
Metal Slug 4

Those would probably be my top 5 today but at the time of their release they were all pretty cool considering SNK was thought dead.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
KoF 2k2 - plays incredibly well even if the backgrounds and UI are terribad. It's like the anti-2000.
RotD - As others have mentioned, it's not anything particularly special but it has a workman-like quality to it and isn't just a boring asset rip. It's better than 90% of the golden-age Neo fighters.
Samurai V Special - Kinda like 2k2... it's largely an asset rip but it plays really well and is a great culmination of the series (we'll just ignore that 6/Tenkaichi exists)

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
2003 is one of my favorite KOF games. Ties with 95 as my favorite. Matrimelee is fire too, had a lot of fun on that one.

Slug 4 is a real weak entry, like a rom hack, but I like it. I’ll admit it’s trash overall though.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I enjoyed KOF2003.
And I am probably in a minority but SamSho V was great imo. Ya SSVS was better balanced but SSV had a better atmosphere and presentation to it imo.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Hard to believe you like MS4 instead of 5 then!

The only good thing that game brought to my attention was the Double Machine Gun. While not MS3 quality, the OST for MS5 kicks man!

I love MS5 too, the music is pretty bad-ass, kinda metal guitar riffs. The demon you face at the end is great too.

The MS5 soundtrack is largely just noise. No melody, no nuance, no style, no rhythm, just harsh noise. I'm sure death metal is alright in its home environment on CD or vinyl, but not on Neo Geo PCM. MS5 doesn't hold a candle to the Nazca Metal Slugs.

Metal Slug 4 isn't anywhere near as bad as people say it is. It has a wide selection of weapons and vehicles, the levels are alright, music is good. It's not outstanding by any means, but calling it a bad Metal Slug is pretty extreme. I'd sooner call Metal Slug 5 bad if just for the awful music.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
MS4 is not that bad. I like its simplicity.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
There is no bad Slug in my opinion. Mega just had some huge shoes to fill, and creating something to best Metal Slug 3... Almost impossible.

KingOfSLUGS

New Challenger
I like a lot of the post-bankruptcy lineup actually. My favourites being:

Nightmare in the Dark
Metal Slug 4
KOF 2002
Matrimelee
SVC Chaos
KOF 2003

I'd like to spend some more time with Sengoku 3, see if it really is as vapid as people say it is. I've tried to like Metal Slug 5, the horrible soundtrack ruins the experience for me.

Yes to all of the above but I could personally die happy w/o playing MS5 again.....

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Matrimelee: It's completely bonkers and gives zero fucks about it...and it's a fun fighter.
Nightmare in the Dark: I absolutely love this game, I wish I owned a MVS copy but they are so rare, or ebay$$$ prices.
Samurai Showdown V Special: I've always loved the SS and Last Blade games, I prefer swords to the modern KOF fighters anyways so it has to be on the list.

SVC is cool that it exists, but compared to Garou it just feels so unpolished and janky.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I enjoy kof 2002 and 2003 a lot. Haven’t played much of the other games though, but I enjoy zupapa.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
01 is the real underrated KOF, even though it’s ugly as sin like many/most of the post-bankruptcy titles.

That said 94-96 is peak KOF

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
The post by HMG got me thinking, 1995 was a great year of releases for the Neo, but what about the dark days after KOF 2000? Even though there were still releases, things were a bit different without the original SNK in control. What's your favorites out of the post Aruze lineup, if any?

Nightmare in the Dark
Zupapa!
Sengoku 3
King of Fighters 2001
Metal Slug 4
Rage of the Dragons
King of Fighters 2002
Matrimelee
SVC Chaos
Samurai Shodown 5
Metal Slug 5
King of Fighters 2003
Pochi & Nyaa
Samurai Shodown V Special

For me, my true favorite is Samurai Shodown V Special, which is my favorite fighting game actually. That, followed by Pochi & Nyaa and Zupapa!.
I enjoy slug 4 and 5 alot actually and kof 2k1.

Missile

Another Striker
MS4 is not that bad. I like its simplicity.

Yes it's one of the worst Slug games but that doesn't make it bad. Its pretty good fun.

I also like Matrimelee. Love the idea of the music perfomers in the background too

KOF2002 also an amazing game but just wish it was slightly less grey-looking

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
It's really difficult to pick a favorite among the post-bankruptcy era, as they were all very solid for the most part. Though if I had to pick one, I would say SVC Chaos. Their is just something fascinating about seeing and playing with Capcom fighters, using the KOF artstyle and controls. Plus, Zero is in the game. Albeit the MegaMan Zero version, and not the awesome MegaMan X version.