Anyone worked on Nintendo Vs. UniSystem cabinets

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I got a really old Vs Super Mario cabinet that I'm starting work on. Since the cabinet is really worked, I took the monitor and the board out to test it. Everything's connected properly but when I turn it on, it blinks...kinda like the NES.

I'm still learning arcade repair stuff, so I'm stuck at this for now. I checked that each IC is seated properly.

Any help appreciated.

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'll talk to a friend of mine who works for a local arcade/game museum he does repairs I've also got a neighbhor with like 6 of these he was fixing up to sell so I will ask him to

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Do you have other boards to make sure the monitor works? Slim chance the monitor has any problems, but worth asking.

What's likely happening is:
a) not enough power - check your voltage reading at the edge connector and also on a chip further away from the edge. Your reading at the edge should probably be at least 4.9v. You'll want to make sure there's not a huge powerdrop across the board either, so pretty much any chip should be at least 4.5v.
b) you have a CPU issue and it's entering watchdog. Use a logic probe to check the reset line on your CPU and see if it's getting flipped or is stuck in reset.
c) you have bad program data. Verify your ROMs are all correct.
d) another issue that will be harder to track down. But given how little is happening on screen it's almost certainly one of the first three.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
NGL, I gave up hope on anyone answering here.

b) you have a CPU issue and it's entering watchdog. Use a logic probe to check the reset line on your CPU and see if it's getting flipped or is stuck in reset.

I had my friend show a vid that I sent him to another friend and they said the same thing. I don't have a logic probe; my friend is borrowing a probe from someone.