The Story of NEO GEO video

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The "improved cache" thing never made sense to me because the only area in which a cache can improve things is when the CPU can't keep up with the 75 or 150 frames/sec speed of the 1x/2x drive to copy from the CD controller cache to the program RAM area, which I don't think it's the case on the Neo CD(Z). Unless of course the "improved cache" language used here actually refers to the program RAM area in which the data is loaded and executed as a whole.

Anyway, in both cases loading 307 kb will take 2 seconds in the slower drive, 1 second in the CDZ drive, in a general software standpoint, no matter if the CD controller cache is 2048 bytes or 512 megabytes.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't know where the improved cache thing came from, since publications at the time clearly stated it was a 2X speed drive, and there was never any reason to doubt it. I'm guessing it was the same guy who always likes to point out that the TurboGrafx has an 8-bit CPU -- they just wanted to feel smarter than everyone else.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
@BlackaneseNiNjA

Thanks for the clarification. I always thought it's also only a single speed.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I don't know where the improved cache thing came from, since publications at the time clearly stated it was a 2X speed drive, and there was never any reason to doubt it. I'm guessing it was the same guy who always likes to point out that the TurboGrafx has an 8-bit CPU -- they just wanted to feel smarter than everyone else.

Not sure where it originated, but the Neo Geo CDZ section of this page is probably a huge reason why the misinformation persists:

https://snk.fandom.com/wiki/Neo_Geo_CD

Is there a way for us to update that particular page?

@BlackaneseNiNjA

Thanks for the clarification. I always thought it's also only a single speed.

Anytime Hanzo :buttrock: I was never quite sure either until NTF started that thread and ran those tests to actually verify.

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Finally got around to seeing this. It was a really good watch and the informative tone really made it seem like a proper documentary. Is this "wrestling with gaming" guy a member here?

Btw, Neo Alex kinda looks like an older HP Lovecraft.

Last edited:

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I enjoyed the video very much. It seemed to be high production values compared to a lot of other retro game videos on YouTube. Thanks for all involved for taking the time to put this together.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Finally got around to seeing this. It was a really good watch and the informative tone really made it seem like a proper documentary. Is this "wrestling with gaming" guy a member here?
I don't believe he's a member here. Someone mentioned in my Youtube thread that there's nothing good on Youtube. I was going to mention WWG, along with a few others of my favorites, because I watch a lot of Youtube. Why didn't I? Between having the idea and actually posting it, Yahel contacted me about being in the video, and then it wouldn't have seemed like I came to the opinion organically.

Btw, Neo Alex kinda looks like an older HP Lovecraft.
Fair.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I don't believe he's a member here. Someone mentioned in my Youtube thread that there's nothing good on Youtube. I was going to mention WWG, along with a few others of my favorites, because I watch a lot of Youtube. Why didn't I? Between having the idea and actually posting it, Yahel contacted me about being in the video, and then it wouldn't have seemed like I came to the opinion organically.

Fair.
There's really not much out there. Most channels have awful production, terrible narrators (tophat gaming man, metal Jesus, that hipster Asian dude) and aren't interesting.

I like Gaming Historian, My Life in Gaming, MVG, Classic Gaming Quarterly and Game Sack.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
There's really not much out there. Most channels have awful production, terrible narrators (tophat gaming man, metal Jesus, that hipster Asian dude) and aren't interesting.

I like Gaming Historian, My Life in Gaming, MVG, Classic Gaming Quarterly and Game Sack.

I second this. Metal Jesus is local to me, I've met him before, and he doesn't know anything on his own. I feel like plenty of gaming content creators are like this. I don't enjoy many gaming channels, but Neo Alec, you put out excellent content man. I need to check out WWG more, but I also like MVG, Sega Lord X, and Game Sack.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I dunno but TopHat gaming guy really gets under my skin.

Pretty sure what irks me is him gleefully wearing a fucking tophat. Is a tophat like the UK version of a fedora?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist

Pretty sure what irks me is him gleefully wearing a fucking tophat. Is a tophat like the UK version of a fedora?
I mean, he calls himself "big daddy"... I don't blame you. :lolz:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I second this. Metal Jesus is local to me, I've met him before, and he doesn't know anything on his own. I feel like plenty of gaming content creators are like this. I don't enjoy many gaming channels, but Neo Alec, you put out excellent content man. I need to check out WWG more, but I also like MVG, Sega Lord X, and Game Sack.

Metal Jesus is probably the most blatant example of "clueless guy with nothing to bring to the table except shots of his game shelves" on youtube right now.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

Ugh yeah. That and his idiot intro "hellloooouuuuuu" and always holding some console box that was beat to shit in shipping.

Everytime I see a vid on my YouTube sidebar that looks remotely interesting, I see the tophat name and just pass on it.

I can't really stand Metal Jesus. I get that he loves games and that's cool but it's clear that he finally got to the age where he can blow loads of cash on "cool games" that he'd never play.

Shit. His vid on the Neo Geo is fucking retarded.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member

I agree, his name should be dick head gaming man.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Fuck top hat gaming man and MadLittlePixel who I’m 99% sure has an account on here based on how much he nutted himself on camera with that shitty Chinese CMVS

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Somebody need to locate Michael (Mike) Beard for his voice work on early games. The motherfucker even introduces himself in Baseball Stars 2. I've never seen him. It must be done.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I should talk about the most mundane random stuff on my channel lol. Maybe do reviews on the most recent repro controller to release or random gaming topics. Yet here I am pouring blood on crosses and jamming games into old Japanese computers or collecting Hyper shit Lolol

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I should talk about the most mundane random stuff on my channel lol. Maybe do reviews on the most recent repro controller to release or random gaming topics. Yet here I am pouring blood on crosses and jamming games into old Japanese computers or collecting Hyper shit Lolol

Flies are attracted to crap. Your content is great and I enjoy it. You know what you’re talking about, which is better than most of the overhyped idiots on YouTube. People just have bland taste and watch Metal Skeezus and that ripoff MadLittlePixel instead. Just know your content is appreciated and shouldn’t change.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Flies are attracted to crap. Your content is great and I enjoy it. You know what you’re talking about, which is better than most of the overhyped idiots on YouTube. People just have bland taste and watch Metal Skeezus and that ripoff MadLittlePixel instead. Just know your content is appreciated and shouldn’t change.

Lol thanks. Honestly I just do whatever I feel like. I’m not targeting any audience except myself...which makes it really easy to satisfy the audience haha

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
Top hat [emoji145] gaming man isn’t that bad [emoji1787]

I can see why some would find him annoying but it’s typical British banter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
The video is up to 100K views, higher than most WWG videos. He deserves it.

It shows there is an audience out there on Youtube for Neo Geo stuff, but maybe only the more general content targeted toward beginners. Originally I'd hoped there would be more of a general retro gamer audience interested in my series, but every time I make a non-Neo Geo video it gets more views, unfortunately.

I probably should've done more general content first and then moved to Neo Geo games after getting an audience. The original idea for Basement Brothers was that my brothers would be providing other content for the channel.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Possibly his big guests are the real reason for the high views.

I probably should've done more general content first and then moved to Neo Geo games after getting an audience. The original idea for Basement Brothers was that my brothers would be providing other content for the channel.

Have you guys considered patreon or something like that? I’d contribute to it.