Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: The Warlocks of the Fates Footage, Restored to 4:3

  1. #1
    Mr. Big's Thug
    Digmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lolifoxgirl's basement

    Posts
    210

    The Warlocks of the Fates Footage, Restored to 4:3

    Hey guys, recently The Warlocks of the Fates has piqued my interest and I found the footage of the game uploaded on Nico Nico. The original was stretched in a 16:9 aspect ratio, and was dark to where some of the detail in the backgrounds were hard to make out. I downloaded the original footage from Nico Nico, restored it back to 4:3, and slightly edited the color contrast so the dark backgrounds would be easier to see detail in. Since this is the only known gameplay footage, I thought it would be nice to have it looking like it originally should.

    Check the fixed footage here: https://youtu.be/d6Xg7U_qgr4

  2. #2
    World Hero
    awbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CHicago

    Posts
    2,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Digmac View Post
    Hey guys, recently The Warlocks of the Fates has piqued my interest and I found the footage of the game uploaded on Nico Nico. The original was stretched in a 16:9 aspect ratio, and was dark to where some of the detail in the backgrounds were hard to make out. I downloaded the original footage from Nico Nico, restored it back to 4:3, and slightly edited the color contrast so the dark backgrounds would be easier to see detail in. Since this is the only known gameplay footage, I thought it would be nice to have it looking like it originally should.

    Check the fixed footage here: https://youtu.be/d6Xg7U_qgr4
    Nice work! What did you use? Resolve can do a ton for detail still in an image but hidden

  3. #3
    Mr. Big's Thug
    Digmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lolifoxgirl's basement

    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by awbacon View Post
    Nice work! What did you use? Resolve can do a ton for detail still in an image but hidden
    I actually used an older version of iMovie from when it supported 16:9 to 4:3 conversion, and then I edited the brightness of the darker color range to bring out the dark backgrounds a bit more. I also increased the audio level since it was pretty quiet in the source file. I have three files now, the original source video from Nico Nico, that video restored back to 4:3, and then the edited version which is now on YouTube. I’ll be sure to check out Resolve though, as it sounds like more of a fully featured program. I plan on playing with the source video more to see if more improvements can be achieved.

  4. #4
    Master Cylinder Evil Wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2066
    Location
    В Санкт Петербурге

    Posts
    53,972
    looks great sounds great.
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken.

    Neo Geo Dip Switch wiki page

    Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I didn't even talk about how you live in a shack and shit in the fucking forest.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I mean, at least I didn't say your wife should divorce you or comment on your need to play RE while shitting or whatever else was said.

  5. #5

    yagamikun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh

    Posts
    1,449
    Thanks, man! Nice to see this as intended. Great job with the editing work!

  6. #6
    Takuma's Nurse
    andsuchisdeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    20XX SLUM

    Posts
    6,912
    This is cool.

    Thanks for sharing.

  7. #7
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    12,961
    Great footage, thanks for sharing. Now if the owner could do us all a favor...

  8. #8
    Mr. Big's Thug
    Digmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lolifoxgirl's basement

    Posts
    210
    Thanks guys, I'm glad this can be helpful. On the topic of Warlocks, I also uploaded the features the game had in Neo Geo Freak magazine Vol. 1 and Vol. 3. Even using Google Translate, there's some interesting info about the game that can be learned from them.

    Check them out here:
    https://imgur.com/a/kyOwXN7

  9. #9
    Rugal's Panther
    2D_Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alphaville (with Lemmy)

    Posts
    3,896
    Fucking hate it when people play 4:3 in 16:9... it makes me almost as mad as it does Southtownkid.

    Thanks for clearing this up.

    Crom, give us strength.

  10. #10
    World Hero
    awbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CHicago

    Posts
    2,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Digmac View Post
    I actually used an older version of iMovie from when it supported 16:9 to 4:3 conversion, and then I edited the brightness of the darker color range to bring out the dark backgrounds a bit more. I also increased the audio level since it was pretty quiet in the source file. I have three files now, the original source video from Nico Nico, that video restored back to 4:3, and then the edited version which is now on YouTube. Iíll be sure to check out Resolve though, as it sounds like more of a fully featured program. I plan on playing with the source video more to see if more improvements can be achieved.
    Yes. The basic (well it just doesnít allow 8K and multi GPU config) of Resolve would be useful to use.

    Generally something like iMovie will make adjustments to areas you donít want adjusted. Resolve will allow adjustments to different waveforms of the image. So you can adjust mid tones while not touching highlights or shadow. It gets infinitely more complex from there but itís a nice starting point

  11. #11
    World Hero
    awbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CHicago

    Posts
    2,309
    If you want I can take a stab. I don’t want any credit / won’t upload it to my channel, but I do junk like that for a living (Color work) so I don’t mind helping out

    Or I can just feed you advice. Whatever! Happy to

  12. #12
    -餓狼伝説弟子-
    BlackaneseNiNjA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    サウスタウン

    Posts
    1,587
    Very cool. Thank you for sharing this. Nicely done!

    超えるべき奴がいる。

    北斗神拳は無敵だ。

  13. #13
    Art of Typing Wiz


    Viewpoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas

    Posts
    5,309
    Waiting for a certain someone to show up and say Gentlemen!

  14. #14
    World Hero
    awbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CHicago

    Posts
    2,309
    in Resolve you could also use clip attribute overwrites to interpolate to 4x3. Since the resolution does not change in the SOURCE clip, you can easily conform it to 4x3.

    Additionally you can perform some pretty nice upscaling to bring it to 1080p. I did that with the VHS captures of the M2 version of D2, and that was also a VHS captuure

  15. #15
    Mr. Big's Thug
    Digmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lolifoxgirl's basement

    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by awbacon View Post
    If you want I can take a stab. I don’t want any credit / won’t upload it to my channel, but I do junk like that for a living (Color work) so I don’t mind helping out

    Or I can just feed you advice. Whatever! Happy to
    Well, I have to say thanks for turning me on to Resolve! It’s awesome! I just did a quick edit using some of the tools, and I think it’s turned out better than the one I uploaded on YouTube. I’ll upload it as an unlisted video once it’s done rendering so you can tell me what you think. Rendering times are pretty gnarly for long videos it looks like.

    Edit: New video render is sharper, but kinda looks like crap. I'll have to check into upscaling like you said.
    Last edited by Digmac; 05-13-2020 at 06:25 PM.

  16. #16
    World Hero
    awbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CHicago

    Posts
    2,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Digmac View Post
    Well, I have to say thanks for turning me on to Resolve! It’s awesome! I just did a quick edit using some of the tools, and I think it’s turned out better than the one I uploaded on YouTube. I’ll upload it as an unlisted video once it’s done rendering so you can tell me what you think. Rendering times are pretty gnarly for long videos it looks like.

    Edit: New video render is sharper, but kinda looks like crap. I'll have to check into upscaling like you said.
    Resolve is CPU intensive for rendering and real time playback of unaltered clips, but make sure your GPU rendering is turned on. It will offload some tasks more suited for the core structure of a GPU vs a CPU. Once you go into the Color panel though every setting you touch and every node you add will be handled by your GPU. If for some reason you are using onboard graphics via an Intel CPU though make sure you uncheck GPU tendering, as that’ll get worse than using logical processor cores.

    You may also need to change your render output settings. I’d go h.264 output. It might be trying to force a variable bit rate as well, which in the instance of a VHS capture, could negatively affect the final output. So you may want to deselect variable bit rate.

    Send me the link once it’s done. I’ll check it out and see if I can spot anything and what settings you’d want to change for a better output.

    Resolve is easy once you know it, but some of the settings and menu items can be in some very esoteric spots. I’ve just been using it forever and teaching it to college kids for a few years now. But whatever I can do to help just lmk. I can also source you some of the info and links I give to my students on certain topics since I’ve got syllabi full of them

  17. #17
    World Hero
    awbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CHicago

    Posts
    2,309
    Oh and for rendering a 1:1 scale is considered good as a benchmark for your machine, so long as you havenít layered on the effects to an insane degree. So ten minutes should render in approximately ten minutes (unless you are transcoding formats from something very odd like AVCHD...then the time will just skyrocket)

    2:1 and its upgrade time (well if you do it for a living) and .5:1 if you drop some serious cash on some 12+ core Threadripper business. I keep mine at 1:1 and itís always been enough for me not to get too impatient with the render output.

    If you right click on the video in the timeline and select clip attributes you should get the data on the source file codec. Or you can turn on ďinspectorĒ (top right of application) and view info there. I usually use attributes.

    If you want to really dial in all the details in the video, under the Color tab you want to be using the waveform graphs to monitor what detail may still be recoverable, and make sure you arenít altering levels in a manner that starts clipping the waveform (or pushing it too far in any given direction) as itís a fine line between ďrecovering detailĒ and ďtrading a gain here for a loss thereĒ

    Ok sorry I think I just wrote a post like Iíd email a student lolol. Iím sure youíve got this!

  18. #18
    The Ultimate 11

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    226
    Thanks for the convert.
    - Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -

  19. #19
    Mr. Big's Thug
    kidchameleon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland

    Posts
    229
    I know this game's roms been dumped and all that but... that cart in the Japanese store must be a fake. Unless they plug it in and show it running I'm calling it FAKE NEWS.

  20. #20
    Reichsf?rer-Finnland
    Late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    EGO FREE ZONE

    Posts
    7,161
    Quote Originally Posted by andsuchisdeath View Post
    This is cool.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Co-signed.

  21. #21
    K's Therapist

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cologne

    Posts
    6,676
    Beautiful game, beautiful rework Digmac. Thanks!

  22. #22
    Mr. Big's Thug
    Digmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lolifoxgirl's basement

    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by awbacon View Post
    Send me the link once it’s done. I’ll check it out and see if I can spot anything and what settings you’d want to change for a better output.

    Resolve is easy once you know it, but some of the settings and menu items can be in some very esoteric spots. I’ve just been using it forever and teaching it to college kids for a few years now. But whatever I can do to help just lmk. I can also source you some of the info and links I give to my students on certain topics since I’ve got syllabi full of them
    I'd totally appreciate the info and links for Resolve, thanks for offering! Go ahead and shoot me a PM with them and I'll get this new render I did uploaded. We can work on it from there. Thanks man!

  23. #23
    World Hero
    awbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CHicago

    Posts
    2,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Digmac View Post
    I'd totally appreciate the info and links for Resolve, thanks for offering! Go ahead and shoot me a PM with them and I'll get this new render I did uploaded. We can work on it from there. Thanks man!
    NP! Pm sent

  24. #24
    World Hero
    awbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CHicago

    Posts
    2,309
    I can’t even remember what the story on Warlocks is anymore? Lemme guess : dumped and “protected” but not available? Lol

  25. #25
    Mr. Big's Thug
    Digmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lolifoxgirl's basement

    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by awbacon View Post
    I can’t even remember what the story on Warlocks is anymore? Lemme guess : dumped and “protected” but not available? Lol
    Basically, yeah. There's a lot of drama surrounding this game because of Dion supposedly having it, SNKP raids supposedly finding copies, and NCI supposedly finding it. No concrete evidence was shown for Dion or NCI having it, so that's snake oil. SNKP finding copies in their raids, it's possible, but I don't think anyone knows what became of that. Even the cart located in Mandarake Nakano is believed to be fake because they've refused to demo it running, and they refuse to give out info regarding it. A large five figure offer was made for the cart but was refused.

    In 2005, screenshots of the game surfaced that don't look to be from a magazine scan. This might mean that it's been dumped but that also doesn't have concrete evidence either, that a ROM was available at some point. What we have to go on is this footage of the game, uploaded in Japan in 2013, which was obviously ripped from VHS. It's unclear that the uploader was the person who actually played the game and recorded the footage. It seems unlikely. Neo Geo Freak Magazine had two features on the game, which I posted above. The second feature, in Vol. 3, seems to be the same build of the game as the video footage.

    I want the game to be released and preserved as unlikely as that is. What needs to be done to make progress on that, I have no idea.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •