The 1995 game selection - Your favorites?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I think for a lot of us, this was one of the most stellar years for the Neo. A massive 20 different games were released this year, the most so far, half being fighters. Curiously, out of the 10 fighting games released this year, 5 were by SNK.

Aero Fighters 3
Chibi Marukochan Deluxe Quiz
Double Dragon
Fatal Fury 3
Galaxy Fight
Goal! Goal! Goal!
Kabuki Klash
King of Fighters '95
Master of Syougi
Power Spikes 2
Pulstar
Puzzle de Pon!
Quiz King of Fighters
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Samurai Shodown III
Savage Reign
Stakes Winner
Super Sidekicks 3
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer
World Heroes Perfect

My favorites are Aero Fighters 3, KOF 95, Real Bout Fatal Fury and World Heroes Perfect.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Pulstar and Sonic Wings 3 for me. Even though Sonic Wings 3 doesn’t get a lot of love, its one of my favorites.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
kof 95, Aero Fighters 3, SamShoIII (even with shitty hit box), WHP, RBFF, FF3, Double Dragon

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
King of Fighters 95 without hesitation. It is one of my favorite games of all time regardless of year choice lol

Gameplay, graphics, presentation, music, everything felt top-notch in this entry. The hits felt meaty due to prolonged inflicted stun and dramatic pauses on hits, it had details like background characters reacting to hits and certain strong attacks (Daimon’s earthquake attack) and your partners could even jump out of the background and save you with the right input if you were in dizzy status. Everything was high damage so even basic bread and butter combos and juggles were absolutely devastating (ensuring that the standard 3 vs 3 battles didn’t drag on too long).

The kof series kept improving, but kof 95 was a stunning effort from SNK when it debuted.

Shinkiro’s artistic leap also helped set this game apart at the time as well. Compared to the cover of kof 94, kof 95 jumped bounds over it’s predecessor in terms of promotional art and style imho.

f51c923f-0f08-416d-8af8-b51173d4866e.jpg

With Fatal Fury 3 and Samurai Shodwon III not being as well received that same year, King of Fighters 95 cemented KOF as SNK’s new flagship game series for years to come.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Aero Fighters 3 and Super Sidekicks 3. Maybe World Heroes Perfect!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Real Bout Fatal Fury

A banner year for the Neo without a doubt. The mid 90's were the glory days.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Oh wow, between SSIII and KOF95, I dunno. Guess it just depends on how I feel. Right now I'd rather play KOF95 because it's been about a decade since I last played it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
KOF'95 and RBFF. Both great titles and yeah RBFF was superseded but it's got style.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
After SSIII and KoF95, it gets hairy. SW3, KK, Pulstar, and DD were all really fun. I would say that Pulstar was the "best" game, but SW3 was more fun in the way you could veg out while playing. KK was the best looking. And DD had the best voice work.

Kid Fenris

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
Pulstar really stood out for me, since it had been a while without a proper R-Type. Kabuki Klash was a lot of fun as well, though I never saw it in wide distribution.

But I have to go with...

King of Fighters 95 without hesitation.

Yeah, KoF '95 really solidified the series and made me realize that SNK fighters weren't just Samurai Shodown. I played '95 a lot in arcades, got by with the PlayStation version for a while, and was really tempted to pick up the home cart last year when I finally got an AES. I went with KoF '96 instead, but '95 rates really high with me.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Yeah, KoF '95 really solidified the series and made me realize that SNK fighters weren't just Samurai Shodown. I played '95 a lot in arcades, got by with the PlayStation version for a while, and was really tempted to pick up the home cart last year when I finally got an AES. I went with KoF '96 instead, but '95 rates really high with me.

Don't rule out 95 just yet, it's still absolutely worth getting even if you have 96 as well. That early SNK charm and extra polish over 94 is awesome.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
King of Fighters 95 - It's just a classy game. It's also the only KOF with a "Single All" mode rather than Survival mode. I love chilling out, cranking up the difficulty, and trying to get through all 28 characters in 4 credits with Terry or Iori. Good times.

Samurai Shodown III - While an unpopular opinion, my favorite in the series. The high stakes battles are thrilling if you get two people that know their way around the mechanics.

Pulstar - My favorite Neo shooter.

Last edited:

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Top 3 for me would be KOF95, Super Sidekicks 3 & Pulstar. I do have a soft spot for Double Dragon also

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Curiously, out of the 10 fighting games released this year, 5 were by SNK.

I often wonder what it was like to work in SNK, what their schedules were like, how often they slept in the office. Five games in a year, talk about overtime. From concept to finish.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I often wonder what it was like to work in SNK, what their schedules were like, how often they slept in the office. Five games in a year, talk about overtime. From concept to finish.

Apparently they were horribly overworked which is to be expected, it's Japan.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

Sup LS. Time marker 8:16 in this vid gives you a peek at what SNK was at least projecting for their employees in terms of work condition and provided services for their employees:

See cart production at time marker 1:48:

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
My favorites out of this group are Fatal Fury 3 and Real Bout the most.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
KOF95
Pulstar
SamSho 3

In that order. I have a love/hate relationship with FF3 and Real Bout

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Whether you were into shougi, fighting, winning stakes or deluxe quizzes, the Neo Geo had it goin' on in 1995.