The 1995 game selection - Your favorites?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I often wonder what it was like to work in SNK, what their schedules were like, how often they slept in the office. Five games in a year, talk about overtime. From concept to finish.

The answer to that question also addresses how NG.DEV:TEAM can dump out shooters at a ridiculous rate. One engine, five games. Just keep touching up that engine for years. SS3 was probably using SNK Fighter Engine v16.9

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
KOF 95: Able to edit your own team and set the bar for tag team fighting.

Stakes Winner! Love that game and I always try to 1cc it.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury 3
Galaxy Fight
Kabuki Klash
King of Fighters '95
Puzzle de Pon!

Overall, I got the most enjoyment from this handful in various arcade surroundings, during and the months following their debut heyday. The eventual CD versions of FF3 & KOF'95 were very useful for practice & versus marathons.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Why do you like Galaxy Fight? I've never met someone who liked it.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I also like Galaxy Fight. Reasons:

- Can be considered a prequel to WW7 and it has an unusual, hence interesting roster.

- Similar to Art of Fighting 3, Galaxy Fight offers a unique gameplay, in this case based on dashing. Once you grasp it, it gets quite addictive.

- It's a SUNSOFT game and stands out for that reason alone, comes with a quality soundtrack, too.

On topic: I'd go with...

Pulstar - another great R-Type variation on the Neo
Panic Bomber - excellent, yet quite difficult puzzler with a top soundtrack
Galaxy Fight - see above
Savage Reign - the best use of the SNK trademarked 'two plane' concept in my opinion
Samurai Spirits III - obvious choice, the last no-compromise part of the series, tricky ai for single player

I tried to like Gowcaizer, but at this time: no dice. Kabuki Klash is good, but it's not as crazy, as it wants to be and has a weak roster due to its Far East of Eden presets.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Galaxy Fight is dope and a guilty pleasure for sure.

I love Gowcaizer, but that is also due to me being a huge fanboy for Masami Obari.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Why do you like Galaxy Fight? I've never met someone who liked it.

I appreciate its atmosphere, how the color palette was implemented, and the Japanese riff on sci-fi imagery from the preceding few decades. The sprite work has that intangible Sunsoft knack for craftsmanship and considerately designed quality about it. A few of the backgrounds are among my favorite in the Neo fighter library, particularly the waterfalls plateau with its sweeping sense of scale. Lastly, there is a certain nostalgic appeal to the game's frenzied pace & gameplay movement mechanics, which were definitely at odds with numerous other slower-designed fighters in city arcades at the time. It was a fairly polarizing niche title for its time amidst the prior established favorites in the early incarnation of the FGC subculture.

Galaxy Fight game did have pockets of diehard players in Philadelphia & New York, some of whom later enjoyed Waku Waku 7 to an equal extent or more so. I am personal friends with one fellow here(joined '01 iirc) who has probably studied the hit box/hurt box engine & combo interactions in that game to a stunning degree. Think a few hundred hours of practicing/trial and error, since at least 1996.

Slyelessar

n00b
Galaxy Fight really stands out for me, it's been my favourite for years. Great roster of characters, nice visuals, fun to play. I love Roomi, but on harder difficulties I find playing with Juri a lot easier because she is quicker. The sound track is fantastic as well, I still play it all the time!

I like the look of Pulstar and the way it plays, but I'm just not good enough to enjoy it.

Savage Reign is a fun game! I recently got the port on the switch - please do not kill me.

I really want to try Kabuki Klash, as it comes highly recommended. I recently looked at prices online and it seems I will need some sort of MVS converter or CD console, as it is a "tad" out of my price range on AES.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Damn son, your post-per-day count be expanding never ending like a Galaxy Fight corner.

Looking to spend some stimulus bucks in our Market?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I bet he's some youtuber with a shitty channel.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
KOF95 was ahead of its time with its graphics. Some of the backgrounds are the absolute best on the system.

Pulstar is easily a top 5, if not top 3, game in the entire library. Absolutely stellar and 95’s best game.

I go back and forth between RBFF and RBS being my favorite Neo fighter. Another killer ‘95 release.

All in all, I think only ‘96 might top ‘95 for me as far as best years go.

Slyelessar

n00b
Damn son, your post-per-day count be expanding never ending like a Galaxy Fight corner.

Looking to spend some stimulus bucks in our Market?

Haha I have been waiting a a little while for account approval. Although I have played Neo Geo in the past, I have recently really gotten into the games and system. It's a great distraction from work in this dark period we find ourselves in.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Haha I have been waiting a a little while for account approval. Although I have played Neo Geo in the past, I have recently really gotten into the games and system. It's a great distraction from work in this dark period we find ourselves in.

If you boost your post count by replying to everything, and then go right into the market... you’re going to have a really rough time here. Just a tip.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
While there are so many superior shmups (even in 1995), I really have a soft spot for Aero Fighters and the characters. It's something I keep coming back to. I prefer 2 over 3, but 3 is definitely solid. I like Pulstar a lot too but it never grabbed me for some reason.

Admittedly I grew up during the death throes of arcades, so I never got to experience the fighter heyday. I'd love to know what people thought about also-rans like Kabuki Klash and Double Dragon back in the day

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Lot of great games on the list here. I'd say Kabuki Klash is favorite fighter on the system overall. Game is pretty well balanced, great graphics, and a solid soundtrack. It's the go to fighter on the system when I've got friends over.
Double Dragon's another great fighter as well. Shame it's pretty underrated if you ask me though. Only real problem I have with it are with the dizzies. Abobo vs Abobo matches are always a good time.